Topic: Picasa and svBuilder Issue ...simpleviewer.swf versus viewer.swf

Loved the free version, just wanted to get rid of your logo ( hmm ) so I bought the Pro version.

Per your instructions, in Picasa under templates/assets, I replaced the free version of viewer.swf with the Pro version of simpleviewer.swf and all I got were x's or nothing and I could see that the gallery.xml was not being made.

So...I renamed the simpleviewer.swf to viewer.swf and then everything worked fine.
I also found that there was a Pro file for v.1.9 still called viewer.swf and I tried that one out too and it also worked just fine.

Here is the issue-------

svBuilder (very handy little thing) will only deal with a swf file named simpleviewer.swf. It says it can't find viewer.swf so I can't adjust the gallery code. If I change back in Picasa to simpleviewer.swf, then Picasa doesn't work.

Picasa will only deal with viewer.swf --either version is just fine but the name can not be changed.

svBuilder will only work with simpleviewer.swf

So how do I use svBuilder? I need to adjust the gallery for my own use. I am tired of  changing all the background colors to white again and again.

Help!

Re: Picasa and svBuilder Issue ...simpleviewer.swf versus viewer.swf

Install the new version of the Picasa template that works with SimpleViewer v2: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … plate.html

Then upgrade it to pro: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … tml#picasa

Now you can create galleries in Picasa and open them in svBuilder.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Felix thank you I did that and now I could change the swf files -- and Picasa happily makes galleries that I can see on the browsers and in dreamweaver.

But poor svBuilder claims it can not find the gallery.xml file --- because it isn't there in the Picasa assets folder.  The downloaded v2 template does not have a gallery.xml file.

svBuilder wants one!  Or it won't look at the simpleviewer.swf file

Should I toss the one from the Pro v2 into Picasa in the web/assets folder?

Decided to give it a try...I just added gallery.xml to Picasa and nothing works. svBuilder allowed me to redo the swf file though.

So I had to remove gallery.xml from Picasa and then the changes I made to the swf file did not come through.  I need to change background colors permanently and to also remove those little icons which allow a user to mess with the page size. It won't work on my website.

So what now please?

Last edited by jlfinvt (2010-03-07 05:24:53)

Okay, now I'm really confused, WHICH is the Pro *.swf?

1. simpleviewer.swf
2. viewer.swf

??? I still can't get my SVPro galleries to display on my WP site.  neutral

Pixelita Designs: www.pixelita.com
GoogleTalk: pixelita.designs@gmail.com

simpleviewer.swf is the Pro version

Then why is it that all of the time that I've been using the simpleviewer.swf files, the credit link is still present in the lower righthand corner.  I thought another thread suggested that would not occur with SV Pro. Do I really need to edit the .fla file to eradicate it? Because I have an old version of Flash that doesn't appear to recognize the new .fla file and I really don't see why I should have to spend yet more money to hire someone to remove it for me. Ugh!

UPDATE:  No, you're wrong. I downloaded SVPro for the THIRD TIME from the distro link provided and it's VIEWER.SWF that is in that distro.  So .... how can I get SV Manager to use it since all the SVManager files use SIMPLEVIEWER SWF?

Last edited by pixelita (2010-03-07 17:19:14)

viewer.swf is most likely the 1.x version of SimpleViewer while simpleviewer.swf will be the 2.x version. If you just bought the pro version you should be downloading SimpleViewer 2.0.1 the download also includes the 1.9 version in the 1.9 folder of the download.

My suggestion is that you make sure you are using the right version, version 2.0.1, of SimpleViewer and the right version of the Picasa plugin.

How do I tell which version of SimpleViewer I have?

Mike Richards

My distro of SVPro contains: viewer.swf only. Not simpleviewer.swf.

SVManager has a plugins folder with several plugins, structured as follows:

/plugins
--/simpleviewer
------/svmaster
---------viewer.swf
--/simpleviewer2
------/sv2master
---------simpleviewer.swf

Now, here's the frustrating part.  Since it appears I need to match up the viewer.swf file that came with my SVPro distro, I should use the/simpleviewer plugin folder, since it contains the viewer.swf file, rather than the simpleviewer.swf file, right? 
If I just upload THAT plugin folder, SVManager says there are no plugins loaded.  It never actually "sees" that plugin folder.  (So what good is it? Why was that folder even included among the plugin folders if the program won't recognize it?)  I HAVE to use the /simpleviewer2 plugin folder in order to work with SVM at all. So here we are. smile

UPDATE  And as for versioning, even though I downloaded SVPro from the download link provided to me when I purchased it (1.9), I had to fill out a form to be approved to get SVPro 2, which is still apparently in process.  So I'm not sure what's going on, but I will say that some kind of version indicator needs to be within the file naming nomenclature (e.g., the way WP and other scripts do), so that you don't have to actually open the file and read the .HTML to figure out what version you have.  Plus this keeps you from overwriting a previous version.  In other words, the containing folder should have the version number in it. The rest of the underlying folder structure should be kept intact. This just avoids wondering what version you have.  Just my two cents.

Last edited by pixelita (2010-03-07 18:33:21)

even though I downloaded SVPro from the download link provided to me when I purchased it (1.9), I had to fill out a form to be approved to get SVPro 2

Ok, so you originally purchased 1.9? The way you made is sound I thought you had just purchased the pro version in the last few days. Depending when you purchased SimpleViewer 1.x you may or may not be entitled to a upgrade to version 2. Your original download link will only download version 1.9 you will get a new link sent to you if you qualify for the upgrade otherwise you will have to purchase SimpleViewer Pro 2.

Mike Richards

Well, I was told that I should follow my original download link to receive the NEW version of it.  When I opened it, I found it was still the "old" version (my original upload).  Then I found a link to a form to fill out to request the new version. So why THAT wasn't conveyed to me at the outset is a mystery. 

Perhaps it's an English as a second language thing? I don't know.  But there shouldn't be one download link for one set of folks and another for others. That's too confusing. And I shouldn't have to fill out a form to request an upgrade. That's waaay too much work for the devs, if you ask me. 

I am aware that payment entitles me only to upgrades from within that main version and subversion upgrades are free. That's how a lot of scripts and programs work, and that's fine.  But I dislike having to chase my tail and bother other people on the forums for information that should be readily available. smile

And upgrading aside, how can I get my current version (1.9) of Simple Viewer Pro to work with the SVManager?

Well I got everything back up and running, it's just that it:

1. is using simpleviewer.swf rather than viewer.swf
2. still has the link on the right hand side.

Other than that, it looks great and I really do like the SVManager script.

Testbed/production site is here:
http://pixelita.mytestbed.com

Last edited by pixelita (2010-03-08 02:00:11)

I am writing again because I did not get a response.

In Picasa if I install the new template then replace with the Pro simpleviewer.swf all is just fine with Picasa.

But svBUilder will not work because it can not find the gallery.xml file in Picasa.

If I add it to Picasa, then Picasa quits working.

Solution?

I would like to get svBuilder working since I can not see another way to fix the templates.

Hi,
There are 2 different conversations going on in this topic which makes it quite difficult to give support. In general it is better to start a new topic for seperate issues.

But svBuilder will not work because it can not find the gallery.xml file in Picasa.

The Picasa template does create a gallery.xml file.

The workflow is this:

1) Create a new gallery with the Picasa Template.
2) Open the new gallery folder using svBuilder to customize it.

Also, please ensure you are using the latest version of the Picasa Template. Download it here: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … plate.html

Felix Turner

Hi Felix

Thanks for answering.

Aha  so that means that I would have to fix every single gallery in svBuilder. I will be putting up 20-30 galleries a day sometimes - a LOT of work.

I have made a css file for the template which helps a bit. 

Is there anyway to use css instead of svBuilder?

Also nothing to do with this exactly but I would like to make a suggestion...there are lots of us out there who need a gallery with a journal or with room set aside for a product description - not a caption but an actually div set up for the product info.  I sell unique items and have to make a gallery and description for each item.

That is why I am attaching a css style sheet to the galleries. Is there someone who might be interested in helping me with this? Or making a new template?

Thanks
Janet

You can modify the default settings that the Picasa Template uses by editing the 'header.xml' file in the Picasa Template folder.

Regarding CSS templates, you can embed SimpleViewer into any HTML page you like: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … dding.html

Felix Turner

thanks Felix!