Topic: Only 20 images appear in the gallery

Hello guys,
I installed svmanager on my dedicated server, then i tried to create a gallery. I used the add image button, then choose a folder containing 117 pictures, and after 10 mn the upload seemed to be ok. Unfortunately, when i go on the gallery, there is only 20 pictures on it instaed of the 117 ones. Does anybody have a solution to solve that problem ?

;-)

Best regards
Chris

Re: Only 20 images appear in the gallery

Have you upgraded to SimpleViewer Pro? SvManager comes with the standard version of SimpleViewer which is limited to 50 images. Not sure where the 20 limit came from.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi guys, I think this is a bigger issue independent on the version of viewer. I have the same issue and I have only experienced it NOW while up till January all worked fine. The SVMANAGER simply will not upload more than 20 pictures regardless their size. My friend had a look at my server and found out that PHP version >5.2.3 is simply blocking multiple uploads via the max_file_uploads variable. Unless you split each upload into lots of 20 images in your Java uploader, you will experience loads of these errors all round web. I had to upload a wedding gallery last night and instead of typical 3 uploads I had to manually upload batches of 20 pics 75TIMES!!!
this is what people are getting in their error log files:
[29-Mar-2010 15:55:15] PHP Warning:  Maximum number of allowable file uploads has been exceeded in Unknown on line 0
Please, sort this out, otherwise your svmanager uploader will become useless
Thank you
Kind Regards
David

Thanks for this post. I hadn't spotted this change in php. Here's the information from the php release note in December 2009:

Added "max_file_uploads" INI directive, which can be set to limit the number of file uploads per-request to 20 by default, to prevent possible DOS via temporary file exhaustion, identified by Bogdan Calin. (CVE-2009-4017, Ilia)

As you can see it's a security feature to frustrate denial of service attacks and it will apply to any php script that uploads files – not just svManager. And if the php coders know their job then they've presumably made it difficult or impossible to get around it or it wouldn't be much of a security feature.

So it's ‘a good thing’ but it's not so good that the default level is only 20 files and I guess a lot of web hosts will just take the default.

There's an easy answer if you have access to your php.ini file – just set the max_file_uploads directive to whatever you like. If you can't change the php.ini then ask your web host to do it for you.

Any more thoughts anyone?

jack

Jack Hardie

what is tyhe exact text to have in the htaccess

i have

php_flag file_uploads On
php_value memory_limit 8M
php_value post_max_size 8M
php_value upload_max_filesize 10M
php_value max_file_uploads 200

and it still wont let me load more than 20?

hmm appars this cant be changed from htaccess

where would i put the php.ini file to get around this change
at the moment at 20 per upload this effectively cripples this manager

looking forward to a workable response

Yes – the max_file_uploads directive can only be set in the php.ini file.

where would i put the php.ini file to get around this change

It depends on your server configuration. Ask your server admin/helpdesk how to do it or ask them to set the max_file_uploads directive for you.

I agree with you that changing the default setting from infinity in php 5.2.11 to 20 in 5.2.12 might be regarded as a little drastic but the developers of php seem to think otherwise.

jack

Jack Hardie