Topic: Error messages

I am only just started working with the plugin, but I'm getting immediate error messages attempting to Add Gallery to a post in a Wordpress 3.0 installation.

[simpleviewer
Warning: could not save gallery.xml file. in ..../wp-content/plugins/simpleviewer/web/buildgallery.php on line 1057
gallery_id="1" bgcolor="ffffff" gallery_width ="100%" gallery_height ="600"]

Clicking on the Edit Galleries setting yields the following:

Warning: opendir(..../wp-content/uploads/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in .../wp-content/plugins/simpleviewer/simpleviewer.php on line 588

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in .../wp-content/plugins/simpleviewer/simpleviewer.php on line 591

Warning: closedir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in .../wp-content/plugins/simpleviewer/simpleviewer.php on line 600

I upped the permissions for the Simpleviewer plugin directory from 755 to 777 with no change.

Last edited by schaeffer (2010-07-21 21:12:16)

Re: Error messages

Sounds like it's failing on finding the 'wp-content/uploads' folder. Can you try uploading an image via the Media Library first, then create a gallery?

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Please try the following:

1) Upload an image via the WordPress media library. This will create the required 'wp-content/uploads' folder.
2) If you still get an error, try giving the 'uploads' folder write permissions.

Felix Turner

I've actually uncovered a bigger uploads issue, which may be the cause. However, I should point out that I am running a WP_MU installation upgraded to WP 3.0, so the file upload path is: wp-content/blogs.dir/yourBlogID#/files. So the uploads folder does not exist. Given the multi-blog capability of 3.0, this may bear on your plugin development.

I stopped working with the plugin since it seems to anticipate a upload path for a single blog installation rather than a WP_MU context with a /wp-content/blogs.dir path.  However, I'm looking forward to using SimpleViewer products, so I'll check back in.

Did you try manually creating an 'wp-content/uploads' folder?

Felix Turner

I did create a manual uploads folder and it seems to have worked, however, the upload/gallery creation process is confusing.  I uploaded 2 images as part of the post creation process, but the viewer is showing one image twice.  Test post: http://schaeffer.design-manifold.com/20 … ery-test/.  I see that I could edit the XML file to fix the problem. 

I'm not wild about the WP media library functionality, hence the interest in the NextGen gallery plugin and the rest of the SimpleViewer products. 

If I were going to try to deploy this plugin across the would-be network, I would want to edit the upload path so individual bloggers would be saving XML files to their own blog.dir directory.

As an aside from testing out this plugin, I'm looking for a way to organize thousands of travel images and create a searchable resource.  I'll keep looking at the rest of the SimpleViewer tools.