Topic: WordPress plugin Upgrade Issues

After upgrading to SimpleViewer v2, all of my Wordpress galleries using SV v1 on posts stopped working.  Do you have instructions for a successful and pain-free upgrade?

Last edited by zclone (2010-08-30 23:57:48)

Re: WordPress plugin Upgrade Issues

Did you use a Wordpress plug-in to create your old galleries or did you create them another way? If you didn't use a Wordpress plug-in you can use these instructions for upgrade from SimpleViewer 1.x to 2.x.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

You might want to try the new WP-SimpleViewer plugin (v2.0.4) that supports SimpleViewer v2:http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/support/wp-simpleviewer/ Previous versions of WP-SimpleViewer do not support SV 2.

Felix Turner

I have the same problem.
I have make a automatic upgrade of the plugin and now all the galleries won't work as you can see here:

http://www.czeta.it/2010/08/31/lol-cats-2/

There's a way to resume all the old galleries or a link to download the old copy of the plugin?

Thanks,
Andrea

Your gallery (using SimpleViewer v2.0.3) seems to be working fine. I can view it in IE8 and Firefox 3.6.8.
Try clearing your browser's cache.

Steven Speirs

Hy smile

I also tried to update the wp-simpleviewer-plugin at my wordpress-page, but after updating every page with a gallery just shows this:

[svgallery name="Fabrik"]

Something went wrong... The new plugin seems not to integrated correct into my wordpress?

Actually I set it back to the old wp-simpleviewer version used (1.5.4) - otherwise no gallery would work.

Hi,

the new version of the plugin is completely re-written from scratch and is therefore not backward-compatible. This means that galleries made with the previous version of the plugin will not show once you upgrade.

If you would like to downgrade back to v1.5.4, it is available here: http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/w … .1.5.4.zip

Felix Turner

Felix wrote:

the new version of the plugin is completely re-written from scratch and is therefore not backward-compatible. This means that galleries made with the previous version of the plugin will not show once you upgrade.

Thank you Felix.  You may want to include that information with the plug-in documentation.

It would also be nice if 2.x was a separate plug-in so I could use it, while maintaining the 1.x galleries I've already built.

Ah, okay, thats the reason why it won't work.

Is there any converter for the existing galleries, or have I to rebuild it all?

If you would like to continue to run the old version (v1.5.4) simultaneously with the new version (v2.0.4) check here: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … viewer/#v1

Felix Turner

I can't seem to get the new version of simpleviewer to run with the old one as suggested as a solution above.

I get the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare wp_simpleviewer_add_admin_pages() (previously declared in wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php:78) in wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer-v1/wp-simpleviewer-v1.php on line 85

I'm not a one for coding or anything so any simple advice on how to resolve this will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited by philsballoons (2010-09-07 21:24:47)

@philsballoons

I have both plugins running together here OK.  some questions:

1) Which 2 version numbers of the plugins are you running? (see on plugins page)
2) What version of WordPress are you running?
3) When do you get the error?

Felix Turner

Felix,

Thank you for the fast reply - I have now sorted this issue. I was still yet to upgrade to the newer version! Simple things!

Thanks anyway,

Phil

so you have both versions running at the same time OK?

Felix Turner

I do now, yes

awesome smile

Felix Turner

Bit of a fright there - seeing the school's gallery disappear.  Tried to quickly go and edit the page as suggested and clicked on the simpleViewer icon and got this message:

Warning
: require_once(/home/currambe/www/www/wp-load.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/currambe/www/www/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/config.php on line 11

Fatal erro
r: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/currambe/www/www/wp-load.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/currambe/www/www/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/config.php on line 11

So I  gave up - went back and loaded the old version and got the gallery active again.

Saw that some people had both versions active.  Reactivated the new one and went back to the gallery page.  Same problem as above.

Upgraded from 2.9 to 3.0.1 and tried again - same problem.

If you want both versions running together, you need to follow these instructions: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … viewer/#v1

Felix Turner

Hi Felix,
It is not a problem of both running together. 

The problem is a combination of :

1) plugins assumption about where the wp files are:
The message is about line 11, but problem caused by
line 7 of wp-simpleviewer\config.php :

$wp_path = preg_split('/(?=((\\\|\/)wp-content)).*/', dirname(__file__));

2) the site in question has their wp-content relocated:  it is not under the WP_SITEURL folder.  See http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-c … wp-content

So line 11 fails to load the bootstrap.

3) the only way to get to "add a gallery" is via that javascript option. While I can see how to add the gallery tag manually, I cannot see how/whether one can access the "add a gallery" page in some other way - a menu item near "edit galleries" would be good (and be consistent with rest of wordpress) - then at least one could manage without the button.

I dumped the new plugin down to my local test site and all is fine if one has 'normal' wp structure.  So I guess for now, anyone with wp relocated will have to stick with old version. wink

Hope that helps