Topic: Plugin in one server is ok and another is not ok

I upgraded to WP-SimpleViewer 2.0.4. Funny thing is one server in my local company is working fine while a server in USA always give me a headache.

The problem with US hosting server is when I click on "Add SimpleViewer Gallery", a popup window displays main page instead of simpleviewer setup menu.

My US hosting company support keeps telling me that the issue is folder permission which I have checked many times, it was chmod to 777.

If I uploaded xml file manually to /uploads/, simpleviewer script works just fine.

Unlikely is template related because the same template in my local server has no conflict with WP-simpleviewer plugin 2.0.4.

Anyone facing this issue? I believe is more on server related issue.

Thx

Last edited by nkkhoo (2010-09-13 00:01:44)

Re: Plugin in one server is ok and another is not ok

I think you've kind of answered your own query.
If you've checked everything and the only variable left in the equation is the server, then I guess the server is the root of the problem.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Steven Speirs wrote:

I think you've kind of answered your own query.
If you've checked everything and the only variable left in the equation is the server, then I guess the server is the root of the problem.

This is a half part of story.

My local server can create xml file, but cannot update or write image URL on it.

My USA server cannot create xml file, but can write image URL on it.

What I am doing now is a crazy way, I create xml with my local server and then transfer xml file manually with ftp to USA server.

I am not sure is plugin script or server configuration issue after seeing these problems.

Thx

It certainly sounds like it could be a permissions issue but assuming permissions are set correctly, neither server is allowing you to do the whole story and both, ideally, should.
Not sure what to suggest (other than try a third server).
Perhaps someone else has encountered similar issues and can shed some light on the situation...

Steven Speirs

It should not be permission problem, otherwise xml cannot be created in one server and written in another server.

Third server testing is not an option.

Maybe my luck is too bad.

I tested from my local server with a new domain account and atahualpa template, this WP-SimpleViewer plugin 2.0.4 works except for the compact module.

Latest finding says my local server can still support WP-SimpleViewer script.

Steven Speirs wrote:

It certainly sounds like it could be a permissions issue but assuming permissions are set correctly, neither server is allowing you to do the whole story and both, ideally, should.
Not sure what to suggest (other than try a third server).
Perhaps someone else has encountered similar issues and can shed some light on the situation...

My latest finding says my local server can support this script. Let forget my local server for the moment.

The core issue is with USA hosting server.

My USA hosting company is very confident their server configuration is FINE and deny the problem is with their server.

I can let you to access my personal account for you to see what is wrong with the script installation. The issue is the script cannot creat xml via this plugin.

I can send the account login info to you, my email account is nkkhooATgmail.com.

Thx

Last edited by nkkhoo (2010-09-13 22:07:11)

Just to confirm your findings for certain, have you tried a fresh installation of WordPress in a new folder with no themes or plugins other than the defaults (and SimpleViewer)?

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

Just to confirm your findings for certain, have you tried a fresh installation of WordPress in a new folder with no themes or plugins other than the defaults (and SimpleViewer)?

No. I upgraded wordpress  3.0.1 from the dashboard for US server while a fresh installation with local server in the old folder.

Do you suspect this is the cause of the problem?

I don't know but it's the first thing I'd try. Shouldn't take too long to install a clean version of WordPress in a new folder and give it a try. It can't do any harm and will either work or confirm your initial findings. Either way, we'll have more data than we do now. I also suggested not using any add-on themes for this test as I've already come across one incompatibility between the SimpleViewer WordPress plugin and the Atahualpa theme.

Steven Speirs

Had tried reinstalled clean wordpress in the new folders for my USA hosting server.

The problem still there with missing setup form after click on simpleviewer gallery button.

I guess it was worth a try and we no longer need to wonder if a clean installation would help.
The root of the problem still seems to be with the server.
Does the server meet the minimum requirements for WordPress (PHP 4.3 and MySQL 4.1.2 or greater)?
Who is the host?  Do they offer a free account service that I could set up and try for myself?
This might be a long shot but have a look at this recent thread regarding an .htaccess file denying access to XML files.
http://www.simpleviewer.net/forum/viewt … p?id=11133
Could this be the root of the problem?

Steven Speirs

I tried this script in another domain hosted in the same server. WP-SimpleViewer works.

This mean the server is not the issue.

I even copied .htaccess file from that domain to problematic account and it still does not work.

This is error message when I click on simpleviewer gallery button.

====
Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that is not here.

I am using xxx.info domain for that problematic account.

Any possibility the script does not compatible with .info domain?

Last edited by nkkhoo (2010-09-15 00:58:14)

You seem to have eliminated everything except the domains so logically, the issue must lie in a difference between the two domains.  However, I doubt it has to do with the domain extension, though I have no way of testing as I don't own a .info domain.
Do you have any redirects set up on the domain, eg www.example.com -> example.com? If so, temporarily remove these and try again.
I'm running out of ideas...

Steven Speirs

I had tried to set up a new domain xxx.com and running same template in the same server. There is no problem to run this script without any other plugins installed.

I removed all plugins for account with .info domain and still the same problem exists.

The only variable left is domain suffix. Only .info domain facing this missing file issue.

Can you please feedback this possibility to your developer and remind him/her to include .info domain support.

Last edited by nkkhoo (2010-09-16 10:01:00)

Issue closed.

The cause of this problem is SQL database corrupted. Nothing to do with domain suffix.