Topic: changing XML file name

i've recently downloaded a couple of viewers to use for my online folio. right now, i'm just needing to upload my galleries to my webhost server to be opened in a new window, which means i just upload via ftp in my public folder. but in order to upload another viewer i have to rename one of the xml files (one as "gallery.xml" and the other as "[name]gallery.xml"). i was able to rename the html files and edit in both xml files for each gallery with no problems (as opposed to using "index"). the issue now is renaming the xml and finding out where in either the html or javascript can i point to the newly named xml file??? is this possible in the free version (which is what i'm using) or do i have to purchase the pro version(s)? i really don't want to change anything else. just need to be able to use both galleries and house them in the same public folder on my host.

Re: changing XML file name

Use the xmlURL option in your HTML file to point to the XML file of your choice, the value of which can be absolute or relative to the HTML file containing the swf.
eg:

fo.addVariable("xmlURL", "folder/newgallery.xml");

... just before the line:

fo.write("flashcontent");

Full PostcardViewer Options (including xmlURL) can be found here:
http://simpleviewer.net/postcardviewer/ … tions.html

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

thanks for the help, steven, but still no go. that's what i've tried. but my html file still wants to take my previous gallery, which is in auto viewer, and make it postcard viewer. i'm using postcard viewer for another gallery. no matter what i rename the xml file or folder it does the same thing. the problem is i can't just put two different folders in my public_html folder on my host server. the html files have to be on the first level of public_html. do i have to buy the pro version or is there anything else in the code(s) that can be changed (maybe the .js file too)? if this is not doable with the free viewer(s) i understand. thanks again!

Could you post a URL to the gallery?  It would be much easier to help if I could see exactly what is happening.

Steven Speirs

well, i could. but what i have up now is working, which is the autoviewer. what i want to work is the postcard viewer that has to be in the same host folder. what happens is the graphics for the autoviewer will display in the postcard viewer rather than the graphics i set up specifically for the postcard viewer. it all goes back when i remove the postcard viewer files. that's why i was asking about changing the file names. i did change the xml file names but wondered if i needed to change anything in the javascript files or something like that. i changed "index.html" for my autoviewer to "books.html" for that portfolio and changed everything in the .xml and .html files accordingly. i did the same with the postcard viewer ("index.html" to "etc.html"). works offline, but not in my host folder. i may try one more thing but after that don't know what else to do. i'll post the results. later today. thanks again for your input.

I've just created a test case for you to have a look at.
There is an AutoViewer gallery and a PostcardViewer gallery.  All files for both galleries reside in the same folder (including the images).  The galleries display different images (using different HTML files, different SWF files and different XML files).  For convenience, the galleries share the swfobject.js file.
The online example is here:
[Gallery removed.]
(All files for both galleries are in the 'test' folder.)

You can download the entire 'test' folder to check out the files here:
[File removed.]

Steven Speirs

wow!!! thanks, steven. i'll check it out as soon as i can and respond.

i think i've narrowed it down. looking at your xml and html files compared to mine, you must have the "pro" viewers. i'm using the freebies and the line in the html docs is light gray in mine but black/blue in yours. another thing is that i cannot rename the "gallery.xml" files. even if i rename them and change the line in the html files, the viewers will not show the images unless the xml files are named as default "gallery". with that said, i can't have two different files in the same folder with the same name (obviously). am i correct on all this or am i still able to do this with the free versions? if so, then i'm missing something else.

The test case was created with the free versions of both viewers.
The XML files can be renamed successfully (along with the references in the HTML files) with both viewers (as I have done in the test case).
I'd really need to see your files to help further.  Could you zip your folder and upload it or email it to me?

Steven Speirs

Thanks for sending me the files.
The problem with your PostcardViewer gallery (embedded in etc.html) is the path to swfobject.js.
The following line in etc.html:

<script type="text/javascript" src="../../../../stuff/scs/scs viewers/test/swfobject.js"></script>

... should be:

<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>

Now, running etc.html in a browser displays the PostcardViewer gallery correctly.

Steven Speirs

you know, i said i felt like a javascript problem. actually html/javascript. and that was the line in the html that got my attention. it works!!!!! steven, thanks for all your help. i learned something, too. i'm not a web guy, although i'm slowly trying to become one. you just helped push me further. thanks, man!