Topic: After a few images I get a blank page after uploading a file

Very strange. I can upload a few (anywhere from 4-12 image), and everything works well, but then I get to a point where I'll upload an image, and I'll go to the svmupload.php?uploaded=true page, but it'll just be blank, and the image doesn't show up in the list of images within svManager, although the file does get uploaded to the server.

I've done all recommended troubleshooting - reset all permissions to 777, re-upped the files from two different ftp clients, and to two different servers (although both using the same host), turned on debug (no error messages). I've tried it with both Safari and Firefox as well to rule out browser issues.

Any ideas?

Re: After a few images I get a blank page after uploading a file

Quick update - it seems to exhibit this behaviour after uploading a file larger than 1MB.

So I can upload dozens of small images, I even tried 10 x 200k images and they uploaded fine. The minute I try a file over 1MB, I get the blank screen, and I also get the blank screen for all future uploads, even if they're small.

I did up the PHP upload limit, so it's not that.
upload_max_filesize = 10M
post_max_size = 20M

Thanks in advance!

I'm a bit puzzled by the blank screen. Large images should be uploaded ok as long as you are not exceeding any limits on the server.

I wonder if something on the server is timing out or running out of memory. Do you know what the settings are in php.ini for max_execution_time and memory_limit?

Do you have access to the server transaction log – the detailed log that shows every request and response? If you do then upload a large file, note the time and see if there is anything suspicious in the server logs for that time – post an extract from the log here if you like.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

max_execution_time = 30
memory_limt = 128M

Server log:
[27/Sep/2010:10:29:57 -0700] "GET /svmanager/svmupload.php HTTP/1.1" 200 6392
[27/Sep/2010:10:30:20 -0700] "POST /svmanager/myupload.php?path=%2Fsvmanager%2Fg7%2Fimages%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 177
[27/Sep/2010:10:30:35 -0700] "GET /svmanager/svmupload.php?uploaded=true HTTP/1.1" 200 6393
[27/Sep/2010:10:30:38 -0700] "GET /svmanager/svmupload.php HTTP/1.1" 200 6373
[27/Sep/2010:10:30:44 -0700] "POST /svmanager/myupload.php?path=%2Fsvmanager%2Fg7%2Fimages%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 177
[27/Sep/2010:10:30:55 -0700] "GET /svmanager/svmupload.php?uploaded=true HTTP/1.1" 200 366
[27/Sep/2010:10:32:16 -0700] "GET /svmanager/ HTTP/1.1" 200 3819
[27/Sep/2010:10:32:16 -0700] "GET /svmanager/thumbcache/t7.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 3214
[27/Sep/2010:10:32:18 -0700] "GET /svmanager/svmanager.php HTTP/1.1" 200 12559
[27/Sep/2010:10:32:20 -0700] "GET /svmanager/svmcustomize.php?galleryindex=6 HTTP/1.1" 200 7312
[27/Sep/2010:10:32:22 -0700] "GET /svmanager/svmupload.php HTTP/1.1" 200 6392
[27/Sep/2010:10:32:27 -0700] "POST /svmanager/myupload.php?path=%2Fsvmanager%2Fg7%2Fimages%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 177
[27/Sep/2010:10:32:29 -0700] "GET /svmanager/svmupload.php?uploaded=true HTTP/1.1" 200 365

The first POST was a successful upload of 10 small images. The second POST was a 1MB image, which broke it. The final POST is trying to add another small image, but it resulted in the blank screen.

I can PM you the address so you can log in and try it yourself if that would be helpful.

The only strange thing I can see in your log is that the faulty GET requests are returning far less bytes than they should be. That does seem to pin it down to a server-side problem if there was any doubt.

I suppose your blank screen really is blank? So there's nothing there when you do a browser view source?

It would be worth increasing max_execution_time in the php.ini if you can, just to see if it makes any difference. Also (for php5) max_input_time. Your memory limit should be fine as it is.

1MB seems like a suspiciously round number for the problem to kick-in. Is it possible that there is some kind of firewall on the server that is silently blocking requests over 1MB? Would be worth asking your server admin/helpdesk.

jack

Jack Hardie

i have the same problem as discribed above. i uploaded 3 images with 2mb each. if i now try to upload some images of any size, i get a blank white page hmm

Is there any solution to this problem so far??
plz help

greetz
juli

As far as I know, this problem has only happened the one time before and we never found out why.

Is the problem exactly the same – related to the size of file you try to upload?

I can only suggest the same things I suggested to the previous person – check the settings in php.ini like upload_max_filesize etc and check the server log.

jack

Jack Hardie

hi
yeah it is related to the size of the file. i can upload any pic under 1MB. When i upload one pic over 1MB, i can't upload anymore.

i think i don't have access to the server php.ini,  that's the problem hmm

It's easy to get the settings in the php.ini file (although you may need help from your server admin if you want to change them).

Create a new file in a text editor like Windows Notepad or Mac TextEdit. Type in this one line:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Save it as say phpinfo.php. Any name will do but it needs the .php and it must be saved in plain text format, not rich text format or Word format or anything like that.

Upload your new file to your server with ftp. It doesn't matter where you put it, let's say you put it in the web root. Browse to your file, say http://www.yourserver.com/phpinfo.php

You should get a whole long screenful of settings. Don't post the output here, it's not very good practice to publish server settings on a public forum and anyway it's a bit long. The relevant settings are listed earlier in this forum thread or you could email me via the forum and tell me the url and I'll take a look for myself and see if there is anything strange in there.

jack

Jack Hardie

I've taken a look at your phpinfo output and I don't see anything strange in there.

I suggest you try installing the svManager Server Compatibility Test on your server. The upload test is limited to 3MB but that should be enough to trigger your problem. If the same problem occurs in the test upload then you could email me the url of your test program so I can see for myself what's happening.

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi there,

I also have the same problem with the blank page. It seems that in fact a file greater than 1 MB destroys
the gallery a little bit. What I have find out with svmtest is on:

Server 1:
Php version    5.2.6-1+lenny13    ✔
Safe mode    off    ✔
GD graphics library version    2.0    ✔
XML parser functions    available    ✔

Server 2:
Php version    5.2.17    ✔
Safe mode    off    ✔
GD graphics library version    2.0.34    ✔
XML parser functions    available    ✔

So I go more into details. On Server 1 there was no problem with the SimpleViewer/svmanager. I can upload files
larger than 1MB. The gallery.xml in the g1 folder is correct!

On Server 2 there musst be something wrong. The files are uploaded correctly, so ther is no probem with the upload.
I have checkd this with an FTP connection after I get the blank page.
If I open the gallery.xml these files are missing and I can not upload any other files to this gallery.
So now I edit the gallery.xml manually and add the entries for the files I had uploaded before. The gallery now accepts
no other files (except their size is < 1 MB).

The main different now are the server configuration which you see above.
I also figured out that the files are in the image folder, but in the thumbs folder is only one file of all these which should
be added to the gallery.

So my question is, can there be a problem during the creation of the thumb pictures?
Can anybody make other test? I mean it seems there is a problem and it will be great if the developer
can fix this as fast as possible, because there are many people which have the same effect!

For a feedback I will thank you

Kind regards
fritzpas

I wonder if your second server is running out of memory?

Could you email me via the forum with the url of your svmtest program on server 2?

jack

Jack Hardie

So my question is, can there be a problem during the creation of the thumb pictures?

It does look like your server is uploading ok but then running out of memory or timing-out when it tries to create the thumbnails. I'm surprised that this happens at only 1MB.

Does it happen with one particular image file or all images over 1MB?

Do you really need such large images? Can you resize them in the svManager uploader?

It might be worth setting svManager DEBUG on to see if you get an error message instead of the blank screen. Edit the file svmanager/includes/constants.php. Look near the top of the file for the line:

define('DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('DEBUG', true);

Change it back after you have finished testing.

It might also be worth looking at your server logs – see earlier post in this thread.

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi jack,

it happens every time with the first image which size is > 1 MB!

The the debug flag in constants.php there is noe other response, only a blank white page.

I can, as you ask me, resize the images during the upload with the option turned on for resize.
But makes it sense? I think it will be better for all common users that we will find a solution for this problem,
what do you think?

greetings
fritzpas

I agree that it would be good to fix it but it's quite hard to track down since there is no error message and it only happens on some servers.

I think the next step is to look at the server logs – can you do that?

jack

Jack Hardie