Topic: White Space Below SimpleViewer Movie

Hi, I have uploaded SimpleViewer onto my web page and put the "embed" code into a table.

1. Why the White Space
The problem is there is a lot of white space below the SimpleViewer gallery and I don't know why. If I delete the table then the SimpleViewer gallery shows up but I wanted to contain the Gallery in a table. I have made the table white to show the problematic white space. Any ideas how to get rid of the white space below the Gallery or why it is there?

2. How to Add or Delete Images after Gallery is Created
Once I use "svBuilder" to build a Gallery how can I add or delete images from the gallery? Is it possible or do I have to recreate the whole thing?

3. Image Format (.png or .jpg)
I used 2 .png images and it was 1.2 mb and 840 kb. I noticed .png image are noticeably higher than .jpg images, but they are lossless. What is a good image size to use and should I use .jpg or .png? Thanks

pg

Last edited by Paint Guy (2011-01-21 19:33:30)

Re: White Space Below SimpleViewer Movie

1. Why the White Space
The problem is there is a lot of white space below the SimpleViewer gallery and I don't know why. If I delete the table then the SimpleViewer gallery shows up but I wanted to contain the Gallery in a table. I have made the table white to show the problematic white space. Any ideas how to get rid of the white space below the Gallery or why it is there?

This is not really a SimpleViewer issue, it is an issue with you HTML/CSS code. You would have a much easier time of it if you do not use tables for layout. http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail

2. How to Add or Delete Images after Gallery is Created
Once I use "svBuilder" to build a Gallery how can I add or delete images from the gallery? Is it possible or do I have to recreate the whole thing?

Instead of choosing new in svBuilder choose open an existing gallery. Then on the image tab your can add, remove and rearrange images.

3. Image Format (.png or .jpg)
I used 2 .png images and it was 1.2 mb and 840 kb. I noticed .png image are noticeably higher than .jpg images, but they are lossless. What is a good image size to use and should I use .jpg or .png? Thanks

For the we a 72 dpi jpg is fine, no one will notice that it is lossy if you save it correctly. For fast load times your file size should be between 35 kb to 200ish kb.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Mike Richards wrote:

1. Why the White Space

This is not really a SimpleViewer issue, it is an issue with you HTML/CSS code. You would have a much easier time of it if you do not use tables for layout.

Thanks for the answers. This is unfortunate that SimpleViewer cannot be used in a table without adding a "lot" of space beneath the movie. I know the extra space is not being caused by the "table" itself because I can use other .swf movies in a table, but must be a limitation of how big the Flash container was made in SimpleViewer or some other coding in SimpleViewer. sad

I know this because I am also using "SlideShowPro" and other .SWF files on my website and there is no problem using SlideShowPro in a table. I do plan to use CSS and no tables in the near future, but for now this could be a deal breaker though because I "need" SimpleViewer to "Not" put this space below the movie so I can finish a website for a client.

Please tell me if there is any way to resolve this space issue? Thanks.

pg

Last edited by Paint Guy (2010-10-07 17:23:23)

This is unfortunate that SimpleViewer cannot be used in a table without adding a "lot" of space beneath the movie. I know the extra space is not being caused by the "table" itself because I can use other .swf movies in a table, but must be a limitation of how big the Flash container was made in SimpleViewer or some other coding in SimpleViewer.

You can use SimpleViewer  with tables, the issue you are experiencing is caused by how you have set up your page not by SimpleViewer. Most likely you need to give your table a fixed hight, but tables are strange animals and it will probably take some experimentation.

Mike Richards

Mike.

Ok, it must be SimpleViewer and not the table because I have created a new page with "1" table. I placed my cursor inside the table, then I opened the source code and pasted the "embed" code and then previewed and uploaded the page, but no matter what settings I give the table there is still a space below the movie. If it was the table then this space would change in size or appear or disappear but it remains the same no matter what I set the table attributes to. sad

SimpleViewer is somehow adding space below itself. It simply can't be the table because I've tried every combination for the table. Setting width and height to 100% and setting width and height to "auto" etc. and still there is that space below the movie.

http://www3.telus.net/~jessum/web/svtest.html

So you haven't come across this ever before in this forum. Surely, I can't be the first person to put SimpleViewer in a table. Could you please look in my code and see what may be causing this.

If you don't think it is SimpleViewer causing this then please try it yourself. Create a table and set it's width and height to "auto" then give it a color, then place your cursor between the and paste the svEmbed code. (see below) then preview it. There will be a lot of space below the sv movie.

<table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="#cccc66">
                <tr>
                    <td align="center" valign="middle">
                        <div id="sv-container">add sv embed code here</div>
                    </td>
                </tr>
            </table>

http://www3.telus.net/~jessum/web/svtest.html

• Table with table and cell height set to "auto" (space still exists)
• Table width ad height to 100%  (space still exists)
• Set Table width to 800 x 600 px (same as movie) (space still exists)
• Set table to "auto" width and "auto height. (space still exists)

On line 84 of your 'Web Design.htm' page, you have defined the table with width="200" and your SimpleViewer embed code on line 92 defines the gallery with width "800px".
Try setting the table width to 800 and use 100% for the height and width of the gallery, ie:

Line 84:

<table width="800" border="1" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="white">

Line 92:

SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "000000", true);
Steven Speirs

Start by removing px from your embed code, you will still need to define a height for your table too.

SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "800px", "600px", "000000", true);

Should be:

SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "800", "600", "000000", true);
Mike Richards

Start by removing px from your embed code, and as I said you will still need to define a height for your table too.

SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "800px", "600px", "000000", true);

Should be:

SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "800", "600", "000000", true);
Mike Richards

Steven and Mike. Thank you very much for your great service and patience on this issue. Mike, I removed the "px" and the space is gone now. smile

Kind of an opposite problem now. I use a few <br> breaks to add space below the SimpleViewer movie but when I preview it, it is not adding any space. Do you know what the code is to add a little space below the movie and where would I put this code?

pg

Last edited by Paint Guy (2010-10-08 01:21:22)

If you are still embedding SimpleViewer in a table, you could create a new table row of fixed height and place it below the gallery, eg:

<tr style="height: 100px;"><td></td></tr>
Steven Speirs