Topic: Gallery not is displayed on site Please Help

I'm new to all this with limited HTML & web design experience but tying to learn it.  Trying to embed a test gallery in my site and nothing appears on my web page.   Followed the instructions for embedding but get nothing. 

Please tell me what Im doing wrong. 

Web page is
http://bntstudios.com/index.php?p=1_14_Test

I have tried pasting the code directly into the body of the web page (as seen now) and also tried pasting it in by using (edit HTML source) in the web software I am using.  "actually a site builder software provided by the web service provider" "Justhost.com

Please confirm that I have copied the files to the correct location on my host server.  As per a support rep with JustHost they have told me to copy all files directly into the root puplic_html directory.  IS this correct?  They have told me there is no specific folder associated with each web page.  Dose this sound correct? 

Also after copying via filezilla the files into puplic_html directory I only see the indeex.php & the gallery.xml at the root leval.  Where would all the other files (images, svcore, thumbs) reside?? 

Lastly what index page name do I type in on the publish page under (index page name)

Last edited by BillB (2010-10-13 00:13:22)

Re: Gallery not is displayed on site Please Help

Had the same issue this morning but noticed i hadnt uploaded the 'svcore' folder, check that you have done that.

Now the issue i have is that the pictures dont load properly, they kinda hang in process, please let me know if you encounter same. Hope someone helps us soon!

@BillB
Your page has the embedding code:

SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true);

... which will load the viewer into a <div> with id 'sv-container'.
However, the page does not contain such a <div>.

Also, as ace2ice suggests, it looks like your 'svcore' folder has not been uploaded (or perhaps is in the wrong location).
Upload the entire 'svcore' folder (not just the contents) into your root directory so that it sits alongside your index.php file.

@ace2ice
Could you please start a new thread for your own specific problem and post a URL to the troublesome gallery.
Thanks.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven I don’t follow your input on this, can you be more specific or should I say please put it into laymen’s terms.  What is this?   <div> with id 'sv-container'.  What do I do to fix it?

I uploaded the entire SV folder into the root directory. Can you please confirm it is now in the correct location?  And to clarify it is NOT suppose to go into the puplic_html directory???
Is the root directory the same as the puplic_html directory? 

Thanks

You need to put the code:

<div id="sv-container"></div>

... in the HTML page (in your case index.php) where you want the gallery to appear.
(It would be wise to keep all the embedding code (shown here) together.)

It looks like the svcore folder is still not in the correct location.
It needs to be here: http://bntstudios.com/svcore/ but doesn't appear to be.
In order for it to show up there, you should upload the svcore folder into your public_html directory (ie the same location as your index.php file).  If it is outside of the public_html directory, then it will not show up.

Steven Speirs

Steven,

I’m not sure what is going on.  I tried copying and pasting all the code into the page several times again, this included the missing line of code.  I made sure it was there when pasted,  BUT when I save/update the page that line of code is getting stripped from the page.  I have tried it multiple times with the same results.  I also tried just adding in that line with the same results.    Any input on why? 

I have re-uploaded the svcore folder in the public_html directory can you let me know if it is in the right place now.  In FileZilla I was just dragging the files into the directory. Dose that not copy & upload the file? 

Please note I also uploaded the entire folder called (Test Gallery) into the public_html as well.  It also contains a svcore folder in side it as well. 

Thanks for your help

Steven Speirs wrote:

@ace2ice
Could you please start a new thread for your own specific problem and post a URL to the troublesome gallery.
Thanks.

Mine works perfectly now smile you can check it out at http://daintyaffairs.com/draft2/gallery.html this is a temporary link and would change soon.

Thanks!

@BillB

Did you clear your browser's cache after making the change? Your test gallery seems to be working fine for me.

http://bntstudios.com/Test%20Gallery/

Mike Richards

I have cleared browser cash .  But still get same results.  NO gallery displayed.   In fact I have tired it on 2 computers and do not see anything. 

I actually installed new gallery and am getting the same results, nothing is on the page.   Also the same line of code is beeing stripped when saving "after pasting the code into the page"

http://www.bntstudios.com/index.php?p=1 … ake-Up-EFX

Why is this code being deleted??

Last edited by BillB (2010-10-17 05:21:48)

The HTML file (index.php) for the gallery in your latest link does not contain:

Without this, the gallery will not be displayed.
I presume this is the code to which you are referring when you say:

Why is this code being deleted??

I would suggest copying and pasting in a plain text editor.  Then, once saved, you can reopen the file in the same editor to ensure that the code is still there.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven, 

Turns out I was pasting into the wrong area within the provided web design software provided by my host.  Go figure I was pasting in where one of there tech told me to, but figured out that was not the area to be using.   

Anyways I now see something on the page but it looks to be only the background of the gallery with no images?? 
Here is the page
http://bntstudios.com/index.php?p=1_12_ … ake-Up-EFX

What is the problem now?

Last edited by BillB (2010-10-17 23:51:51)

So if you edit your index in a text editor, type <div id="sv-container"></div>, save it, and upload it <div id="sv-container"></div> ends up missing some how? At what point is it missing after you save or after you upload? Have you tried deleting the file off of the server and uploading it again instead of overwriting it?

Mike Richards

Hi Mike

please take a look at the previous post #11 you just replied to I have actually made an edit to it and the pasting issue is now resolved.   I was pasting the code in the wrong area inside the software provided by my host, as per one of there techs I was doing it wrong and had to learn the hard why he told me wrong. 

Sorry for the confusion, but I think im more confused than you. ha geez!

However gallery is still not displayed

Last edited by BillB (2010-10-18 00:01:01)

It looks like your image and thumb folders might be missing?

http://bntstudios.com/images/IMG_0592.jpg and http://bntstudios.com/thumbs/IMG_0592.jpg give a 404 not found error.

Mike Richards

I had already uploaded the entire folder witch is named (Make Up Effects Gallery) into my public html directory.  All saved data and SV folders are inside of it.  The directory contains the following (images folder, svcore, thumbs, gallery.xml, index.thml, index.php.    I have verified the thumbs and images are in the folders.

Please note there are other SV files inside the public_html directory. For example there is (gallery.zml)  these are left over files from previous attempt's in posting a test gallery. There is also a SVcore folder. would this be a problem?

Is there a way to post images on this forum?  I would like to post some screen shots of my html directory.

Ok if you are going to use the url bntstudios.com/index.php?p=1_12_Special-Make-Up-EFX and the files are in your Make Up Effects Gallery folder you need to add some code to your HTML to point to where the files are, you can do this by either by using an iframe or by using the baseURL parameter.

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … dding.html
http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … .html#html

Mike Richards

What if I will have multiple gallery's?  Will these instructions be the same?

Why the extra step?  I would rather keep this as simple and as standard or default way as possible.
is there a simpler way to do this?  Should I save my files/folders in a different location? 

I looked at both pages but dont get what I'm suppose to do.   I'm lost!! Can you be more specific.

Last edited by BillB (2010-10-18 04:23:13)

In your gallery.xml file, the location to the thumbs and images are specified using relative paths.  These paths are relative to the HTML file embedding the swf (in your case index.php).
As an example, the first entry in gallery.xml is:

<image imageURL="images/IMG_0592.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/IMG_0592.jpg" linkURL="images/IMG_0592.jpg" linkTarget="_blank">
<caption></caption>
</image>

Therefore, the viewer is looking for the first image to be located at: http://bntstudios.com/images/IMG_0592.jpg and it is not there.
Your options are to either:
(1) Move the images and thumbs folders to the root of your website, or
(2) Change the paths in your gallery.xml file to point to where the thumbs and images actually are

Steven Speirs

If you don't want to change all of your XML or have all of you images in your base folder you can also still do what I said above.
3. Use baseURL in your html embed code to point to your gallery folder.
4. Use an iframe in in your html to point to a HTML in your gallery folder.

What if I will have multiple gallery's?  Will these instructions be the same?

The easiest way to have multiple galleries is to have a page for each gallery that pulls the content. If you don't want to change the page, but instead just change the gallery with in the same page, it can be done with ajax like code.

Mike Richards

Hey guys I appreciate all the input but it is kind of raising more questions then answers for me.  I am totally green to all this so I’m not sure what the best option is for my needs.  I’m not sure what is the easiest and best method to use as per your suggestions.  I’m wondering if you can offer the simplest solution to what I need and give me instructions on how to accomplish it.  I my self dont have any preference I just want it to be as simple as possible. 

One of the main things I’m not sure about is how all of these files need to be organized.  Or if I need to be concerned about it.

•    I will have 4 separate gallery’s, each one having its own page
•    Where do I upload the thumbs & image folder to? 
•    Where do I upload the SV content index.html, gallery.xml, index.php & SVcore
•    IF I have multiple gallery’s dose that mean I will have multiple SVcore and other data files?
•    Is it possible to have 1 master folder for all thumbs & images (for all 4 gallery’s)

There are many ways to achieve what you are after.
Perhaps the easiest way would be to keep each gallery completely separate in its own self-contained folder (each gallery consisting of index.html, gallery.xml, images, thumbs and svcore folders).  You could build each gallery separately, one at a time, in svBuilder, just ensuring that each gallery is in a different folder (gallery1, gallery2, etc).
Then, all you'd need to do is use an iframe in the HTML page where you'd like each gallery to appear.

<iframe src="gallery1/index.html" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

The 'src' attribute of the iframe should point to the index.html file within the gallery folder.

Yes, you can use only one 'svcore' folder but this requires some additional code and is not essential:
http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … tml#svcore

Yes, you can have all your images and thumbs in one folder but this will require changing paths, and/or adding code (like using 'baseURL' as Mike suggests) and again, is not essential.

In its simplest form, keep all galleries separate and self-contained and use one iframe per gallery to have them displayed.

Steven Speirs

Steven, 

Thank you for the new input helped a lot.   Other than some page formatting I now have my gallery up but I end up with 2 instances of it on the page.  1 is blank and the other is normal.  I have tried setting this page up several times but get the same results.  Any idea how to get rid of the blank one?   

http://bntstudios.com/index.php?p=1_12_ … ake-Up-EFX

Since you are using the iframe method you need to remove the following from your index.php.

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.--> 
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script> 
<script type="text/javascript"> 
$(document).ready(function () {
SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true);
});
</script> 
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
Mike Richards

Ok Got,  gallery is now displayed correctly!   wink   

So for the other 3 gallery's the only thing that gets pasted in to the page is the iframe reference right? 

Let me ask one other thing.  What is the procedure when you want to add photos or make changes to a gallery?