Topic: svManager Pro settings issue

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to SimpleViewer Pro, but now I'm experiencing some problems with the svManager.

The svManager seems to be having some issues saving the Pro settings correctly.
For instance, when I try to enable/disable the big play button, it appears to "forget" what I've done, because when I go back to the settings, it's back to the way it was before I made the changes.

Now here is the strange part; when I make some changes to a gallery, and then view the gallery everything seems to be ok (in Google Chrome, Internet Explorer on the other hand seems to have some cache problems as IE won't show any changes at all) but then if I go back to the settings in svManager - note that I haven't pressed the Update button yet - the settings are forgotten and back to their defaults.
Now when I view the gallery, the changes are gone (while I haven't pressed the Update button).

What could be the cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Re: svManager Pro settings issue

I've just done a quick test and svManager remembers the settings for me.
(I tried the 'Show Big Play Button' that you suggested as an example of a setting you were having trouble with.)

Also, it seems reasonable to me that svManager should not remember settings if you navigate away from the page before clicking 'Update All'.

It might be worth your while running the svManager Server Compatibility Test to make sure your server is fully compatible with svManager.
The troubleshooting guide may also help.
If settings are not being saved, then check the section on Permissions.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you for your reply.

I've runned the svm test, and everything passed the tests successfully.

Another idea has come to my mind, but I'm not sure if this could be the cause.

I've edited the settings.ini file to change the default settings for new galleries (in the override section, I left the defaults section untouched).
Could this be of any influence on the problem?

Last edited by Thomas (2010-10-17 16:09:00)

I've edited the settings.ini file to change the default settings for new galleries

With this in mind, when you originally said:

the settings are forgotten and back to their defaults

... did you mean the original defaults or your newly changed defaults?

Either way, you could reinstate the original settings.ini file and see if svManager exhibits the same behaviour.

Steven Speirs

The newly changed defaults.  wink

Ok, I restored the original settings.ini file, and now everything seems to work fine.
So I guess the svManager always reads the overrides from the settings.ini, even when you're editing an existing gallery.

Is this correct?

Last edited by Thomas (2010-10-18 13:46:01)

The settings that svManager saves in the gallery.xml file should override everything in the settings.ini file.

I wonder if some cacheing is going on here. You could try turning-off cacheing in the browser.

You could also try looking inside the gallery.xml file. Any settings that svManager changes from the default should show-up in the xml file (defaults don't show). So if you change the play button settings you should see in the xml file

showBigPlayButton = "TRUE"

and it should stay there until you uncheck it in the svManager settings and Update.

jack

Jack Hardie

Ok, I've tried to disable cacheing, but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

I've looked in the gallery.xml file, and here is what is going on:

When I turn off the big play button, showBigPlayButton="TRUE" get's removed from gallery.xml
So when I go back to the Pro settings in svManager, the Show big play button checkbox is checked because the setting is not in the xml file and turned on by default in settings.ini

It should be the other way around, when I turn off the play button, I should see showBigPlayButton="FALSE" in the xml file, I guess?

Last edited by Thomas (2010-10-23 17:39:45)

Oh right, I think I see what's happening. I'm away from base at the moment so I can't test it out properly. Can it wait for a couple of days till I get back?

jack

Jack Hardie

That's ok, I'm in no hurry  smile

I forgot to ask – what are your version and build numbers from the svManager Admin screen?

jack

Jack Hardie

1.7.2, build 101001

I've emailed you a fix. I've changed it so the overrides only take effect on new galleries. Existing galleries should now stay as you set them.

Please post back to let us know if this works as you expect.

jack

Jack Hardie

Working like a charm!

Thank you for the quick fix!  big_smile