Topic: Thumbnail resizing

I would like to resize my thumbnails to rectangles rather than squares. If I do this in Simple Viewer Pro by changing the thumbnail sizes from the default 75x75 to 112x75, the thumbnails appear zoomed in, rather than showing smaller versions of the image. Why is this and how can I rectify it?

All I besically want, is to show a gallery with thumbs that are identical to the main photos, just smaller!

Any help would be appreciated!

Kind regards

Villiers

Re: Thumbnail resizing

Are you using svBuilder-Pro to create your gallery? Publish your gallery to view the actual thumbnails. The thumbnails on the svBuilder image panel are always square.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

But why square? were not using large format film  100x 72 would be great

The thumbnails in your gallery can be any dimension. The thumbnails displayed in svBuilder are square.

Felix Turner

Dear Felix

The problem is not the actual dimentions of the thumbnails, but rather the fact that they seemed ZOOMED in. In other words, they are not true mini replicates of the large photos. Does this make sense?  Why do the thums crop?

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Villiers

Try changing the 'web' gallery in the SimpleViewer-Pro download as a test.
There are two sample images in the 'web' gallery but for this example, I'll be concerned only with 'tall.jpg'.
Add the following entries in the XML file: thumbHeight="100" thumbWidth="75" (these are the same proportions as those of the main image).  Then search for and replace all instances of 'thumbs/' in the thumbURLs to 'images/' to ensure that the full sized image is used for both the thumbnails and the main image.
Now when you view the gallery, you should see that the full image is visible as the thumbnail (the frame around the thumbnail might give the impression that the image is 'zoomed in' so you could try using thumbFrameWidth="0").
Failing that, you could create actual-sized thumbnails using some image manipulation software before feeding them to SimpleViewer via the thumbURLs.

Steven Speirs

The problem is not the actual dimentions of the thumbnails, but rather the fact that they seemed ZOOMED in. In other words, they are not true mini replicates of the large photos. Does this make sense?  Why do the thums crop?

If you look in your thumbnail folder for the gallery that is having the issue, what is the dimension of the thumbnails? Are they close to 112x75? What have you set your thumbHeight and thumbWidth to?

What application are you using to produce the galleries? Are you using svBuilder or something else?

Mike Richards

Dear Mike and Steven
My appologies for taking so long to reply every time. I seem to have sorted out the problem!! Thank you so much for your help - I could not have done it without you!!

Kind regards

Villiers

Can you share how you solved the issue?  I tried adding the   
'thumbHeight="100" thumbWidth="75"' to my xml file, no change took affect.  I am attempting for my thumbs to be the "thumb" version of the main image, like you said above.
any help is appreciated!!

smile

Pro Version. v2.1.3
Mac OSX 10.6.8

If, as your signature implies, you are using svBuilder v2.1.0, then it is likely that you are editing a Standard (non-Pro) gallery's XML file.
thumbWidth and thumbHeight are Pro-only options: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … tml#thumbs
If you are using SimpleViewer Pro, then you may need to clear your browser's cache in order to see any changes made.
If you continue to experience difficulties, please post a URL to your gallery so that we can take a look.

Steven Speirs

hi, thanks for the reply.  I am using 2.1.0.  So the thumbWidth/thumbHeight are not an option, can i not specify the thumb size?
thanks again.

Pro Version. v2.1.3
Mac OSX 10.6.8

You cannot specify a thumbnail size in the Standard (free) version of SimpleViewer (no matter what version number you have).  Thumbnails in all SimpleViewer Standard v2.x galleries will be 75px x 75px square.
However, if you have purchased the Pro version, you can set the thumbnail size to whatever you like with the thumbWidth and thumbHeight options.

Steven Speirs

got it, thanks.

Pro Version. v2.1.3
Mac OSX 10.6.8