Topic: Does svmanager run OK on 123-REG hosting?

Hi,

I saw and bought after looking at the demos a copy of svmanager and the Pro Bundle.

Does svmanager run OK on 123-REG hosting? I am struggling to get it to work!

I have uploaded the svmanager via FTP to my site 4 or 5 times now and simply won't run.

Is there anything I can do to get around this?

Test program gives errors as below...

Basic tests'.okTd($ok).''; $ok = (@ini_get("safe_mode") != 'On') && (@ini_get("safe_mode") != 1); $overall = $overall && $ok; $status = $ok ? 'off' : 'on'; print 'Safe mode'.$status.''.okTd($ok).''; $gdVersion = getGDVersion(); $ok = version_compare($gdVersion, '2.0', '>='); $overall = $overall && $ok; print 'GD graphics library version'.$gdVersion.''.okTd($ok).''; $ok = function_exists('xml_parser_create'); $overall = $overall && $ok; $status = $ok ? 'available' : 'not available'; print 'XML parser functions'.$status.''.okTd($ok).''; print ''; $message = $overall ? '
Success: your server meets the basic requirements to run svManager. You should now run the file handling tests to ensure that your server has the correct permissions for svManager to work with files and folders.

' : '
Sorry: your server does not meet the basic requirements to run svManager

'; print $message; ?>

File handling tests…

'; $result = mkdir(TEST_DIRECTORY); $message = ($result !== false) ? '
Created test folder with permissions '.substr(sprintf('%o', fileperms(TEST_DIRECTORY)), -4).'

Failed to create test folder

'; $overall = $overall && ($result !== false); print $message; print '
Attempting to copy test file '.TEST_FILE.'…

'; $result = copy(TEST_SOURCE.TEST_FILE, TEST_DIRECTORY.TEST_FILE); $message = ($result !== false) ? '
Copied test file

Failed to copy test file

Attempting to read contents of test file '.TEST_FILE.'…

'; $contents = file_get_contents(TEST_DIRECTORY.TEST_FILE); $message = ($contents !== false) ? '
Read test file

Failed to read test file

'; $overall = $overall && ($contents !== false); print $message; print '
Attempting to open test file '.TEST_FILE.' for writing …

'; $handle = fopen(TEST_DIRECTORY.TEST_FILE, 'w'); $message = ($handle !== false) ? '
Opened test file

Failed to open test file

'; $overall = $overall && ($handle !== false); print $message; print '
Attempting to write to test file '.TEST_FILE.'…

'; $result = fwrite($handle, $contents); $message = (($result !== false)&&($result != 0)) ? '
Successfully written to test file

Failed to write to test file

Deleting test files …

'; fclose($handle); if (file_exists(TEST_DIRECTORY.TEST_FILE)) unlink(TEST_DIRECTORY.TEST_FILE); if (file_exists(TEST_DIRECTORY)) rmdir(TEST_DIRECTORY); print ''; $message = $overall ? '
Success: your file and folder permissions appear to be ok. You can now test that your server supports sessions.

Problems with some file operations: please check file and folder permissions

'; print $message; ?>

Re: Does svmanager run OK on 123-REG hosting?

What you are seeing there is not the test program, you are seeing raw php code.

That implies that your server does no support php at all, so it's just spewing out the code instead of running it.

The package comparison on the 123-reg uk web site says that their starter package does not support php but the more expensive packages support it.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response... So you think if I upgrade to the higher packages that this should work ok?

Cheers
Lee

Also meant to ask if there is a hosting company which you find suits your SW best?

Thanks again
Lee

I always hesitate to recommend web hosts because you can have a bad experience with any of them if you are unlucky. 123-reg have been around a while and I've used them for parking domain names with no problems. The packages with php5 support should work for svManager.

Are you in the UK (I'm guessing because I think 123-reg are a uk company)? Other hosting companies you could look at are http://www.nethosted.co.uk/ (small with good support but limits on storage and bandwidth) or http://www.1and1.co.uk (big, lots of storage, lots of bandwidth but impersonal).

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.