Topic: "x" where image is supposed to be

I'm trying to figure out why an image I just added on to my .xml page is showing as a black "x" on my simpleviewer.

http://melissaellsworth.com/portfolio.html

It's the last pic on the page. I tried to see if it was uppercase .JPG but it's not. Here is my code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<simpleviewergallery

galleryStyle="MODERN"
    title="SimpleViewer Gallery"
    textColor="000000"
    frameColor="000000"
    frameWidth="15"
    thumbPosition="LEFT"
    thumbColumns="3"
    thumbRows="4"
    showOpenButton="TRUE"
    showFullscreenButton="TRUE"   
    maxImageWidth="640"
    maxImageHeight="640"
    useFlickr="false"
    flickrUserName=""
    flickrTags=""
    languageCode="AUTO"
    languageList=""       
    imagePath="svimages/"
    thumbPath="svthumbs/"

>

<image imageURL="svimages/calmadwithtext.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/calmadwithtext.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/naturalflyadwtext.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/naturalflyadwtext.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/strongadwtext.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/strongadwtext.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/velveteenfinishedlowres.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/velveteenfinished.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/leavescut.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/leavescut.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/lilies.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/lilies.jpg" linkURL="http://www.simpleviewer.net" linkTarget="_blank" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/trial.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/trial.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/medfinalrev.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/medfinalrev.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/victimfinal2.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/victimfinal2.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/snakes.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/snakes.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/birdmag.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/birdmag.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/hourglass.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/hourglass.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/wow.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/wow.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/calistoga.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/calistoga.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/menu.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/menu.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/wzacard.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/wzacard.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/obaggy.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/obbagy.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/banner.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/banner.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/display.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/display.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/sellsheet.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/sellsheet.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/letterhead.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/letterhead.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/dino.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/dino.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
<image imageURL="svimages/callalilliesfinished.jpg" thumbURL="svthumbs/callalilliesfinished.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
    <caption></caption>   
</image>
</simpleviewergallery>

It is the "callalilliesfinished" picture i'm trying to figure out why it won't work. Can some one help me? I'm pulling my hair out lol. Also I'm using DreamWeaver.

Last edited by lilcrumb3 (2010-12-05 17:50:17)

Re: "x" where image is supposed to be

It certainly looks like the images (thumbnail and main image) are either not in the specified folders or the filenames are incorrect.
Without being able to list the contents of the folders in question to have a look, all I can suggest is to make sure the images are there and to double-check the filenames (are there any spaces or punctuation marks in the image names?).

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I've checked and double checked some more and the paths are all correct. It's in the same folder as all the other pics.

I'm not sure if this helps but when I try to preview it in Dreamweaver I get a screen saying,

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

And then it shows the code. May have nothing to do with anything but I don't know what else to do.

Would I maybe have to update my Simple Viewer? All my files are in the same location.

You shouldn't have to update SimpleViewer unless you make a change to your gallery.  If I naviagate to the image URL, http://melissaellsworth.com/svimages/cala.jpg, with the browser I get a 404 not found. Which either means the filename is wrong or it never got uploaded. If the filenames seem correct try uploading the image to your server again.

Mike Richards

I'm doing this through dreamweaver. Is there another way to do that besides just putting the file in the correct folder? I'm looking at it in my program and it's where it's supposed to be. Do you recommend another way?

Try using a FTP client like filezilla.

Mike Richards

Tried filezilla. Still coming up as an X.  I keep double checking everything and it's spelled fine and is in the right path. don't know what's going on. What's wierd is no matter how many times I upload cala.jpg to the server filezilla isn't showing it.

Last edited by lilcrumb3 (2010-12-06 17:30:18)

O wow I figured it out!. I'm not sure how I did it but I figured it out. Something wrong with the transfering to the web. I'm so happy I could cry lol. Spent hours on this!

Crap now it's doing it again.

It seems to be working for me, try clearing your browser's cache.

Mike Richards