Topic: having a problem embedding simpleviewer using dreamweaver

Hello,

I've been banging my head against a wall and searching the forums for a solution the past couple of days and decided to post. I'm trying to embed simpleviewer into a couple of gallery pages on a portfolio website. I'm using your latest version of svbuilder (2.1) and working with dreamweaver cs3 on a winxppro sp3 system and testing with the latest version of firefox 3.6 and IE7. I'm definitely a novice when it comes to html, javascript and the like and was hoping dreamweaver would offer me the luxury of avoiding code by constructing the site using div tags/ap's. I do have a general understanding of css and scripting from knowing flash.

The page has a couple of css style sheets attached to it and I'm trying to embed the viewer into a div tag designated #gallery from an external style sheet named gallery.css. The values for the div tag are as follows from the style sheet here:

@charset "utf-8";
#gallery {
    position:absolute;
    left:40px;
    top:60px;
    width:750px;
    height:510px;
    z-index:6;
    visibility: visible;
}

I've uploaded all the generated files into the root folder of my testing server and I've pasted the provided code from the publish page from svbuilder directly into the #gallery div. I've also tried embedding the coding parameters immediately before the script that points to the js files in the svcore folder.

I tried using the iframe script you provided even though all the files are all in the root of the testing folder. The only visual cue I've gotten from dreamweaver that something was loading into my gallery container was when I tried specifying the iframe absolute path placed inside the sv-container div. Otherwise I was seeing a small wide container at the top of the gallery tag from what i'm assuming is from the index.html. Simpleviewer doesn't load into the dreamweaver gui so I'm testing it by publishing with firefox. Every time I publish I'm not getting simpleviewer to load into my page. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

here's the URL:

http://www.weststarart.net/pages/gallery.html

I'm definitely at my wits end and hopefully it’s just something silly that I'm overlooking from lack of experience. Thanks so much.

best,

mike

Re: having a problem embedding simpleviewer using dreamweaver

Your gallery's XML file does not appear to be present in your gallery files.
By default, it should be called 'gallery.xml' and located alongside your 'gallery.html' file (your gallery's index page).
If you have renamed it or if it is located elsewhere, then the path to the XML file should be defined using the flashvar galleryURL, eg.

<script type="text/javascript">
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery.xml";
jQuery(document).ready(function () {
SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true, flashvars);
});
</script>

This may be a step in the right direction but may not solve the problem outright as I would have expected to see a 'Gallery XML Not Found' message.
It doesn't look like the most likely reasons for a blank gallery (http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … trouble_12) are probable causes in your case (your problem is not isolated to Firefox, you are using Windows so not uploading using Fetch and the 'Movie Not Loaded...' message is not present) but the FAQ may help.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven,

You're right, totally missed that. I'll append that guy and have a look at the link you sent. Thanks for the quick repy!

mike

okay, so i've uploaded the xml file to the root folder er along side the gallery.html file and I've actually deleted the index.html file generated by svbuilder. I did that assuming the file was no longer necessary since i've embedded the simpleviewer embed code into the html of my gallery file, am I correct in that? it's just what i gathered from your last post.

I did append the dimensions of the code as well to the height and width in pixels as per the instructions from the troubleshooting guide link you pointed me to. I also tried right clicking where the container should be and i'm not getting anything. I tried closing firefox to clear the cache, I'm pretty sure I have it set to do so when closing my browser but I'm not sure if the settings have been reset since i've updated recently but i can double check the settings. Its funny the menu bar has since dissappeared after the update. anyhow, no luck, it's still blank. any other thoughts?

as far as the client i'm using to upload files, I'm using the control panel from my web host aplus.net, don't know if that matters. I can contact them to find out what kind of encoding they're using if that'll make a difference.

mike

Yes, the 'index.html' page generated by svBuilder is not required if using the embedding code within another page.
You could do a quick test to make sure that your method of uploading is not corrupting any files.
Create a standalone gallery using svBuilder (or use the sample 'web' gallery from the SimpleViewer download package), upload the entire gallery folder somewhere and point your browser towards the gallery's 'index.html' file.
Does the gallery display as expected?  If not, you could change your method of uploading and use an FTP client such as Filezilla.
Specifying heights for all parent containers of your gallery (as per this FAQ) may not help but it can't hurt and we can then eliminate this from the equation, too. (All containers up to and including 'body' and 'html'.)

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

okay great, that's good to know. I did check with my web host and the customer service rep mentioned its not an FTP client. His exact words were:

alecm: Please note that this is not FTP
alecm: and it is detect file and select the encoding automatically

I'm not sure if it makes a difference. But I did download filezilla. I can work a little quicker now that I have an FTP program to work with. Hopefully it'll reduce our corruption possibilities. I'll try and test the viewer per your suggestion. I'm pretty sure I've explicitly specified all my containers in pixels but i'll double check the code in my css style sheets.

thanks a bunch for the direction, i feel much better that someone with professional knowledge is overlooking things for me. will let you know how the results turn.

best,

mike

hooray! success! well your hunch was right on Steven. After fussing with trying to get filezilla to work with my server, six hours today (horrendous) with no luck (might have been the way I was transferring files, copying the whole directory as opposed to individual folders) was returning broken file errors; I decided to try fireftp, super neat add-on by the way (kudos to Mime for creating a a simple and effective program.) I tested simple viewer published and it worked without a hitch (praise to you guys for the amazing script and easy direction!) I pointed to the generated gallery index with the iframe command and flash var for the svcore files and whala! embedded simpleviewer!

thanks so much for your time. though I may be bugging you for formatting inquiries soon I have a working gallery now. awesome...

best,

mike