Topic: Slide background - a conundrum

This is, I think, just a suggestion for something which could be a useful future feature (well, it would be to me).  It's a nice effect to have some descriptive text on the page, with the thumbnails displayed too - so when you've read the text, you can click on the thumbnails and get the slides.  All very neat and intuitive.  However, if you have a transition fade effect, the text keeps showing through as the fade happens (with ordinary fade or cross-fade).  You can get around this by using the 'flash' fade effect, but not, as far as I can work out, with ordinary fade.  What would be really useful is if there were an option to have the slide background appear only when the first slide comes up, not when the display is loaded.  And if anyone else can think of some other ingenious way of achieving what I want to do, I'd be grateful for suggestions!

Re: Slide background - a conundrum

Add your text the the body of your HTML and position it behind the SimpleViewer flash, set SimpleViewer to have a transparent background and set firstImageIndex to have a value greater than the number of images in your gallery. Then use jquery show and hide along with the SimpleViewer API (svImageChange), so that while the firstImageIndex is equal to that number show your text otherwise hide it.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Well I can follow that down to the bit where it says 'SimpleViewer API'.  Can't figure out how to use that ... not to do this anyway.

If you look at the API examples such as the direct linking example which uses svImageChange you can see how it is used. svImageChange basically can be use to call a function whenever you navigate to a new image. So you need to setup a function that shows or hides the text and then have that function called by the svImageChange event.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

OK, got it.  Can't imagine why I was being so stupid ...