Topic: svmanager repeatedly logs me out

Hi.

I have been using svmanager for a few years and it has always been somewhat unpredictable but worked well enough to be useful. I recently upgraded to the most recent version and it logs me out every time I login I get the error message:

1. Warning: session_start(): open(/vhost/vhost1/session/sess_bafdf37555d6dd5fb2e4d8087da34243, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) (auth.php, line 34)

When I try to edit a gallery I immediately get logged out and end up back at the login page. Also on the odd occasion when I get that far the image upload function does not work.

Any help would be much appreciated - apologies if this is basic stuff...

Best,
Rick

Re: svmanager repeatedly logs me out

...it has always been somewhat unpredictable

...or could just be that your server is somewhat unpredictable  wink

It looks like your server is not allowing svManager to start a session.

Try contacting your server admin/helpdesk. Tell them that a php script is trying to start a session using the php function session_start(). Quote the error message and see what they come up with.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Ha! Apologies for the svmanager slight. And it may very well be my server being unpredictable - I'll contact them to find out. Many thanks....

Best,
Rick

Hi there.

So, I contacted my web hosts and they have put my site on a more up-to-date server, which seems to have eliminated the logging out problem - so thanks for that. Unfortunately I still get an error message in the image upload window. When I click for details I get this:

'Error. Click for details.'

So I click and get:

'The application failed to run.'

The details of which are:

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22
Using JRE version 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = /Users/Rick

As before any help would be appreciated....

All the best,
Rick.

Hi there again - so my web hosts tell me that they don't support java on shared hosting (only java script) and that I would have to get my own server to get round the problem.

Is there a simpler solution? Or another way to upload images?

All the best,
Rick

Or another way to upload images?

You can upload images by ftp to the gallery images folder and then rebuild the gallery from the svManager galleries screen.

so my web hosts tell me that they don't support java on shared hosting

I'm not totally convinced that the (new) problem is server-side. Can you try from a browser on a different computer or email me via the forum with your url, user and password for svManager and I'll try it on my Mac.

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi Jack - thanks for the uploading tip - obvious really  hmm

URL is http://www.pushinsky.com/svmanager/svmanager.php

user: (edited out for security)

pass: (edited out)

Many thanks, again.

Best,
Rick

Last edited by jack (2011-01-06 18:00:29)

Took a quick look and got the same error message. The svManager screens look a bit odd. Has it always looked like that or just since your upgrade? Maybe something got lost in the upgrade.

jack

Jack Hardie

It's always looked a bit cranky as far as I can remember, though can't say for 100% sure...

R

You seem to have a mixture of files from your original version of svManager before the upgrade and some new ones from after the upgrade. I'm a bit surprised it works at all  smile

I suggest:
- Take a backup copy of the whole svmanager folder (because at least it's partly working and your gallery stuff is in there and we don't want to lose that)
- Upload all the new files from the upgrade. Make sure every file in the upgrade package overwrites the old file. Be particularly careful that files in sub-directories are uploaded. Your ftp program will probably have features that will do this automatically. If it doesn't then you'll have to upload the files one at a time.
- See how it looks. It should look like the demo version.

jack

Jack Hardie

Jack, that's brilliant. I am sorry it's taken so long to sort out - it was clearly a mistake on my part.

Thanks for all your help - it now seems to be working fine. One more question though....

If I build a new Simple Viewer gallery does it automatically generate a version that can be viewed on an iPhone/iPad etc?

Best,
Rick

Yes, you'll see that new SimpleViewer galleries have a different icon in svManager. They will be SimpleViewer 2.1.1 and will show on mobile devices that do not support Flash.

jack

Jack Hardie

Many thanks again Jack - everything working perfectly.

All the best,
Rick