Topic: 500 Internal Server Error when try upload pics in SVManager

Hi

I've just purchased and downloaded the SVManager programme.

When I try and upload and image I'm getting the 500 Internal Server Error message.

It's saved here : http://www.katehalle.co.uk/svmanager

Am I doing something wrong? Not sure how to go about correcting the problem and obviously it's a pointless purchase f I can't upload any images ...

Thanks if anyone can help.

Kate

Re: 500 Internal Server Error when try upload pics in SVManager

The 500 Internal Server Error message is always a difficult one to track down because it just means what it says and doesn't tell us what kind of error or what's causing it.

There are a few things you can try.

If you have not already done it then you can install the free svManager server compatibility test. That might give us some more information.

Most web hosts give you access to the server transaction log – that's the detailed log of every browser request and server response. It's a long document but the entries are timestamped so you should be able to find the entries that correspond to the time when the error occurred. There should be a few entries referring to svManager including a POST request that actually uploads the files. If you can extract the relevant entries then you can post them here.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks Jack.

When I try and run the test and get to the 'Upload test' bit I get an error message saying that I require an earlier version of Java when try and upload something.

Do you think this would be related to the 500 Internal Server Error issue?

I'm using IE as have Java problems with Chrome.

Thanks if you can help.

Kate

I just uploaded a couple of images to your svmTest installation with no problems. I tried Mac/Safari and also Win7/IE8.

So it looks like at least some of the problem is on your local computer.

A common problem on Windows is having several versions of Java installed on the same computer. So you could try going to the control panel and un-installing any old versions of Java that you find.

You could also try these test pages in your browser:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
http://www.javatester.org/version.html

jack

Jack Hardie

Thanks again Jack.

I did as you suggested with Java and can now upload images on the test site fine.

However, I still get the 500 Internal Server Error and it crashes when I try and add pictures using SVManager.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kate

So svmtest is running fine but svManager on the same server is not uploading – yes?

It could be a permissions problem. Did you have to change any permissions when you installed svmtest or did it run 'straight out of the box'?

You could try re-installing svManager in case something got screwed-up in the original install. Or you could look for those server logs that I mentioned earlier.

jack

Jack Hardie