Topic: Problem viewing on Android phone

My website http://www.djphoto.com/product/product.html shows correctly when Flash is present, as well as when it is not- at least most of the time. I just viewed it on an Android phone that I can see other Flash websites on correctly, but not mine. My site is using SV Pro. When I go there I see a Flash icon with 9 in the corner of it. Can you tell me why this is and what I can do to insure others can see the site properly? The phone says it has Flash Lite 3.1 installed. Once again, every other site with Flash I view seems okay on it. If it can't be seen on this phone should it be defaulting to the NON-Flash version by default? Is it a problem with my code?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Problem viewing on Android phone

As far as I know flash on mobile phones is currently very buggy, have you tried viewing the non-flash version on you phone? Do you have the same issue with the example galleries on the SimpleViewer site?

http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/examples/modern/

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I can view many websites that use Flash, but not SimpleViewer's demo or mine made with SV. I do not think there is any way to try viewing these two sites without Flash on the phone since it is not something that gets launched separately from the browser window. I was under the impression though, that the advantage to SV with the newest version was that any incompatibilities with Flash would serve up the non Flash version to see automatically. I tested this with the 64 bit of IE (that Flash is not available for) on a PC and that worked fine. But with the extreme growth and popularity of smart phones and people searching the internet with them, I feel it is really important that the site be viewable to them as well. Are there any possible solutions/ thoughts/ fixes in the works?

Hi,

SimpleViewer should detect for Flash version 9.0.124. If that version or higher is not present, it will display the non-Flash version. I will need to test it with Flash Lite 3.1. What device are you using? Have you tried updating the Flash player?

Felix Turner

I am using a Samsung Mesmerize, which is the same phone as the Samsung Fascinate & Captivate- depending on the carrier. There is no update currently available for this version of Flash until an Android OS update occurs. Currently running Android 2.1.

It does work on most Flash sites, but not Simple Viewer ones. Once again my main concern not being so much that the Flash site doesn't work, as much as it not defaulting down to the non-Flash version if it is not compatible. Please let me know what you come up with.

Thanks,

Flash Lite is not a browser plugin, it is actually a stand alone executable similar to Adobe AIR. Please test what version of the Flash browser plugin you have installed by visiting here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

What do you see when you visit this page on your Mesmerize phone: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … es/modern/ ?

Felix Turner

Felix,

The Adobe site says that Flash version 9,1,122,0 is running on the Mesmerize.

When I go to the SV link you provided or my site, all I see on the page is a small Flash logo with a tiny 9 in the lower right corner of it. I am guessing that indicates the version of Flash that is running??

The current flash requirement for SimpleViewer 2.1.1 is 9.0.124.

Mike Richards

Maybe you have click to enable flash turned on? What happens if you click the icon?

Felix Turner

Cannot click on the icon- nothing happens and there is nothing to turn on prior to using. But other sites with Flash DO work. Here is one example www.sebernhomes.com. I go to this site without any issues. I have tried several others with no problems also.

Yes it is strange. On my Nexus S Android phone which runs Flash Player version "AND 10,1,106,15" - SimpleViewer flash version runs OK. I'm not aware of the little icon you are referring to - I'll have to research it further.

The next version of SimpleViewer will always use the mobile player when on an Android device. This makes more sense because the Mobile UI is better suited for smaller screens. Also there are some issues with Flash on Android's fullscreen mode implementation. This will also fix the issue you are experiencing.

For now I can only suggest waiting for a new version of Flash to be available on your device, OR setting the 'useFlash' parameter to false on your SimpleViewer embed code to force the mobile player.

Felix Turner

Okay, updating my Flash when is available is something I would do anyway, but what I really want is for others to be able to view my site- not myself. So if I set the "useFlash" parameter to false it will work on all mobile devices (regardless of them having Flash or not)?

What impact will this change have on PC's, Macs, iPads and all other devices visiting the site?

BTW, If you let me know how I can include a small graphic in this post, I will then show you what the Flash symbol that is currently showing up looks like. So far I cannot find any references to it, but maybe you will have more luck in tracking it's meaning and solution.

So if I set the "useFlash" parameter to false it will work on all mobile devices (regardless of them having Flash or not)?

With useFalsh set to false the gallery will be visible on most devices as long as they support the use of JavaScript, HTML and CSS.

What impact will this change have on PC's, Macs, iPads and all other devices visiting the site?

The PC and Macs will see the Mobile version of the gallery, iPads always see the Mobile version as they do not support flash.

Mike Richards

I am not sure what you mean by the "mobile version". Will a person viewing the gallery on a PC or MAC with Flash installed still see the gallery with the thumbnails and a person with any mobile device see it without the thumbnails (regardless of Flash being present or not) as if they did not have Flash installed?

Also, do you want to see a graphic of the Flash symbol discussed earlier in the thread? Will this help in troubleshooting what is going on and help with future development of SV Pro? If so, how do I get it to you?

I am not sure what you mean by the "mobile version". Will a person viewing the gallery on a PC or MAC with Flash installed still see the gallery with the thumbnails and a person with any mobile device see it without the thumbnails (regardless of Flash being present or not) as if they did not have Flash installed?

Sorry if that was not clear, by mobile version I mean the universal playback/non-flash version. It does not matter if they have Flash installed with useFalsh set to false all users no matter what device they use (including desktop computers) they will see the non-flash version of the gallery.

The new SimpleViewer embed code does not support setting a minimum flash version, however you could try a mix of the old and new embed code to force the flash version.

<!-- This will be used if the flash version is grater the 10.1 -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/swfobject/2.2/swfobject.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery.xml";
var params = {};
params.bgcolor = "222222";
params.allowfullscreen = true;
params.allowscriptaccess = "always";
swfobject.embedSWF("svcore/swf/simpleviewer.swf", "flashContent", "100%", "100%", "10.1", false, flashvars, params);
</script>
<div id="flashContent">
    <!--if the flash version is less then 10.1 show the nonflash version-->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function () {
    SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", false);
    });
    </script>
    <div id="sv-container"></div>
</div> 
Mike Richards

Follow-up question to Felix Turner's post dated 1/12/11: The next version of SimpleViewer will always use the mobile player when on an Android device. This makes more sense because the Mobile UI is better suited for smaller screens. Also there are some issues with Flash on Android's fullscreen mode implementation. This will also fix the issue you are experiencing.

Is there an estimated target date for this new SV Pro release?

I don't want to lose the Flash experience for all out there that are able to view it as such. On the other hand, forcing Android users to view the mobile version is something that I can accept as being a viable option for the reasons you stated. My current dilemma is that showing the mobile version to all viewers (regardless of device) really defeats the purpose of using SV right now.

I am glad to hear that you have plans for the next version to address this problem and I am not asking for a firm release date, but am just curious of a rough target date so I can evaluate what to do with my site in the interim.   

Thanks.

My current dilemma is that showing the mobile version to all viewers (regardless of device) really defeats the purpose of using SV right now.

I agree. I would leave your site as it is currently. I've not been able to replicate the bug you are seeing on your device when testing on multiple devices, so I am assuming it's not a widespread issue.

Hopefully have the next version of SimpleViewer out within the next few weeks.

Felix Turner

Felix- I downloaded and re-created my gallery using the new SV 2.12. When I view http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … es/modern/ everything is now working correctly. However, when I view http://www.djphoto.com/product/product.html the same problem as before persists and  I did clear the browser cache and history. Since the SV example page is now working in this mobile browser i am guessing that something may be wrong with a setting within SV Builder Pro. Please take a look and let me know if there is something that needs to be changed to insure more universal playback as we discussed earlier.     

On a side note, when SV Builder Pro is updated with the new version I no longer see previously saved presets for the layout settings/configurations. It would be nice if those were transferred over when an update is loaded. 

Thanks,

Your simpleviewer.js is still showing as version 2.1.1, try deleting your svcore folder on your server and uploading a copy of the one that came in the new download. Make sure you clear your browser's catch after making the change.

http://www.djphoto.com/product/svcore/j … eviewer.js

Mike Richards

Thank you - that worked perfectly. There is still one thing that is odd and that is the thumbnail images are distorted. This is easiest seen on this page http://www.djphoto.com/people/people.html although it is happening on all of them. Why is this happening and how can it be prevented?

On a side note, when SV Builder Pro is updated with the new version I no longer see previously saved presets for the layout settings/configurations.

To use your old presets you need to manually copy them over.

The presets are kept in the following location:

Mac: /Users/felix/Library/Preferences/svBuilder/Local Store/VERSION_NUMBER/
Win: C:\Documents and Settings\felix\Application Data\svBuilder\Local Store/VERSION_NUMBER/

Copy the xml files from the previous version folder to the new version folder.

There is still one thing that is odd and that is the thumbnail images are distorted.

This may happen with the mobile player if the thumbnail images are not square. svBuilder creates square thumbs but if you create your own non-square thumbs then SimpleViewer mobile will stretch the images to be square.

Felix Turner

My thumbnails are set for 70x70 so they are square. Any other possible causes that you can think of that I should check?