Topic: Confused about how to publish to my site

Hi!! I need help!  I am following the directions exactly ( i thought) and it is not showing anything in my web-page.  Do have I have to save that index file and place it in my site AND embed the HTML code? Do I need another program to make it work?  I am sooo confused.  I need simplified directions!

Thanks

Re: Confused about how to publish to my site

If you simply want to display a gallery, you can create a gallery using svBuilder (which comes in the SimpleViewer download package), upload the entire gallery folder with an FTP program such as FileZilla and open the gallery's HTML index file in a browser to view the gallery.
If you wish to embed a gallery in an existing web page alongside other content, please follow the instructions here:
http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … html#embed
If you continue to experience difficulties, please post a URL to your gallery so that we can take a look.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I have the same question more or less.
If I want to embed the gallery in an existing page, i don't have to specify a gallery folder, type an index page name or save under number 1 on the publish panel ?

And if I do, the gallery folder is not meant to be in the folder that contains the html page I want to embed the viewer in ?

Is it a problem that I keep the images I want to add to the builder are kept in my imagefolder along with the other images I use for my site ?

Last edited by trikke11 (2011-02-28 22:53:14)

If I want to embed the gallery in an existing page, i don't have to specify a gallery folder, type an index page name or save under number 1 on the publish panel ?

You can copy and paste the provided embedding code into an existing web page.
See here for details: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … html#embed
Your gallery will still require the 'svcore' folder and images which will be placed in the 'Gallery Folder' when you click 'Save'.
If embedding in an existing web page, your gallery will not need the index page, although one will be created when you click 'Save'.
Alternatively, you could assemble a gallery manually by copying and pasting the 'svcore' and image folders into the correct locations, thereby doing away with the need to click 'Save'.

And if I do, the gallery folder is not meant to be in the folder that contains the html page I want to embed the viewer in ?

svBuilder puts all the required files for each gallery in a folder.  This keeps all the files together in one place and allows for easy editing of different galleries.
However, the files and folders can be located anywhere you like as long as all the paths (eg. the galleryURL, imageURLs, thumbURLs) are correct.
See Troubleshooting Pathing Problems for further information: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … ml#pathing

Steven Speirs

Owkay, thank you, Steven, I understand about the code I need to embed, no prob there. The rest is beyond me, sorry. Maybe it's because English is not my native language. So, if I may start from scratch...

This is the folder of my existing website. The image folder in it contains all the images I use  on my pages.

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e258/trikke11/siteclean.jpg[/img]

I resize all the images I want to use in the simpleviewer and save them to the image folder inside my existing website folder. Is that okay or going to be an issue ?

In the builder I browse to that same folder to select the images and add them to the builder.
I customize the viewer.
In the Publish Panel I browse to the image folder inside my existing website folder where I saved all my resized images I use for the viewer. Is that okay or are they supposed to be in a different folder in a different location ?

What do I type behind Index Page Name ?
Not index obviously, because I already have an index.html.
Do I have to type the name of the page here in which I want to embed the viewer ?
Or do I come up with a total new page for which I choose a name that isn't in the existing folder ?
Somehow somewhere I'm doing something wrong in this process, because when I click save, I get the question if I want to overwrite files ?!

Last edited by trikke11 (2011-03-01 23:42:19)

In case you have not yet seen it, the svBuilder-Pro user guide can be found here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … uilderpro/

I resize all the images I want to use in the simpleviewer and save them to the image folder inside my existing website folder. Is that okay or going to be an issue ?

svBuilder-Pro can resize images for you (select 'Resize Images' on the 'Images' page).  Whether you ask svBuilder-Pro to resize images or not, it will create a new 'images' folder in the 'Gallery Folder' with either resized or untouched copies of your originals.  The gallery will use this 'images' folder no matter where your original images are located.

What do I type behind Index Page Name ?

You can name this file anything you want as long as it does not clash with any other pages you intent to have in the same directory.  This is the page into which the gallery will be embedded and the page which should be opened in a browser in order to view the gallery.  If you plan to embed the gallery in another page with the code, then this index page produced by svBuilder-Pro will become redundant.

Steven Speirs

Thank you, Steven.
I had found the user guide before and even printed it out to follow the steps, so no prob there either.
Stiil, the guide is very summarily and I can't see the answers to my questions in it, sorry.
My builder does not resize images. It crops them. Even when I have unselected crop.
If I want to embed in an existing page, do I then blank out the Index Page Name box ?
Why do I always get the question if I want to overwrite when I click save ?

Are you using the 'Compact' gallery style?  If so, this would explain the cropping:
http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … #general_4

If I want to embed in an existing page, do I then blank out the Index Page Name box ?

Just set it to anything other than the name of the page you are going to embed the gallery into (assuming you are going to place this page in the gallery folder).  If your embedding page is outside the gallery folder, then it does not matter at all what the gallery's index page is called.

svBuilder-Pro is designed to create a standalone gallery from scratch with all the required files in one place.
If you plan to embed a gallery in an existing page and want to use images from a different location, then you might not want to use the index page and image folders created by svBuilder but they will be created nonetheless.

Steven Speirs

No, I'm using modern style.
I set Index Page Name to anything other than the name of the page I am going to embed the gallery into, like you suggest.
When I save, I am asked if I want to overwrite.
When I say no, that's the end of building my simple viewer.
When I say yes, my entire site folder gets rebuilt. All the images I keep in my image folder for the site are gone and replaced by the images I selected for the Simple Viewer.
The Simple Viewer replaces my index page for the site.

svBuilder-Pro saves all the necessary files for a gallery in a gallery folder.
You should not keep other files for your web site in the gallery folder's 'images' folder (as you have discovered) as this folder will be cleared out before a gallery is rebuilt.
I would suggest you either keep your gallery folder as a self-contained unit or at least do so for the creation (and editing) of the gallery and copy the files across to your web site structure afterwards.

With regard to svBuilder cropping your images whilst resizing, the images should not be cropped if you have deselected 'Crop To Fit' on the 'Images' page.  They should, instead, be rescaled to within the bounds specified in the 'Max Image Size' field, respecting the original aspect ratio.
Taking an image that is cropped as an example, what are the original dimensions of the image, what is the 'Max Image Size' and what is the size of the resulting image in the 'images' folder?
What version of svBuilder are you using ('Help -> About svBuilder...')?
If you are not using the most recent version (v2.1.2), try upgrading.
You can find the current version in the SimpleViewer download package available from this page: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/

Steven Speirs

There is no problem anymore with the image size, thank you, Steven. I resized them to fit in the max allowed size.
When I make a website in Dreamweaver I need a folder called images inside the site's folder to save all the images I use for the site.
That is before I even think about using the Simple Viewer.
How am I directing the content of the builder to the folder I am already using for my site's images ? And how do I prevent it ?
Why does the builder transform my original index page to the simple viewer page even when I'm not asking it to do so ?

svBuilder will only modify files in the gallery folder.
When using svBuilder, the gallery folder should not contain any files that are not part of the gallery as they are in danger of being deleted or overwritten (if they are in the 'images' folder or have the same name as the Index Page to be generated).
I suggest you keep your gallery folder completely separate from your web site structure whilst creating (or editing) a gallery.
That way, svBuilder cannot delete or overwrite anything outside the gallery folder (ie your web site files).
Once the gallery has been created (or edited), copy the files across into your web site folders.
The only other alternative is to, rather than mix your files up (by putting web site images in your gallery's 'images' folder), keep the gallery folder complete within your web site (all gallery files still contained within the gallery folder itself).
There is no way for svBuilder to not generate an Index Page when saving a gallery so whatever your Index Page is called, it will be overwritten.

Steven Speirs