Topic: Gallery being very slow

Hello there

I purchased the pro gallery and have been trying to optimize the speed a bit.
My clients customers are saying the site is very slow.
When it's loading a gallery it seems it is loading all the images large, cause I can see the progress bar on the thumbnail and it takes a while before it has been completed.
Is there a way around to deal with this? Eg. loading the thumbnails first and them "behind" the scenes load the large ones?

WOuld appreciate any direction.

Cheers
B

Re: Gallery being very slow

You can change the preloading option by setting imagePreloading in your XML options or by using svBuilder and can find information on this option here. The other optimizations you can use include reducing the image size and quality.  Also you can gain additional speed if you are using a dynamic XML or flickr you can instead use a static gallery.xml and store you images locally.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you so much Richard

I tried to use the "NEXT" instead, but now all the other thumbnails are dimmed.
can I turn that off so they just seem nice and brigt and then the user will just have to accept the little loadtime. Better than waiting 5 sec for the whole page to load.

Or even better, can it cache the images in the background? It seems to me there is only Page, Next, all and none.

If using Next I don't want them to see what's going on the behind the scene, which is pretty clear now since they are dimmed.

Please help:o)

Cheers

My clients customers are saying the site is very slow.

Slow in what way? There are many potential causes for slowness which may not be related to SimpleViewer. If the images are taking a long time to load, the first thing to do is check the size of the images. We recommend images for the web should be less than 1024x1024px and less than 500k.

Eg. loading the thumbnails first and them "behind" the scenes load the large ones?

That is what happens by default.

I can see the progress bar on the thumbnail and it takes a while before it has been completed.

If you want to turn off the thumbnail loading indication, set 'showThumbLoadBar' to false and set 'thumbLoadBrightness' to 1.

Felix Turner

Thanks a lot Richard!It's working way better now. But I'm wondering, now that I have changed from "Page" to "Next", and set the  'showThumbLoadBar' to false and set 'thumbLoadBrightness' to 1, it's still has some delay showing each thumbnail - they seem to "pop-up" as if it still has to load the larger image "behind the scenes" first.
Or maybe I'm wrong?
Otherwise this is much better now. smile

Thanks again
Cheers, Dan

You can set doThumbPopOut to false.

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … tml#thumbs

Mike Richards

I noticed by choosing the imagepreloading set to next the "pop-up" of thumbnails will be organised from start to finish.
If "PAGE" is set to preloading it will do the thing I mentioned, where it randomly shows thumnails.

I'm not sure what the doThumbPopOut is doing, I tried but can't see the effect.
But what I was referring to was more the "random" way the thumbnails would appear and not as when "Next" is selected it's one at a time.
Can that be done with "Page" too or is it only when Next is set?

Thanks, and sorry that I keep asking, just trying to fine tune and find the best way of showing images.
What do you guys normally suggest?

Last edited by blogsabout (2011-02-15 18:05:09)

I'm not sure what the doThumbPopOut is doing, I tried but can't see the effect.

doThumbPopOut set to false should hide the 'pop-out' animation when a thumbnail loads.

Can that be done with "Page" too or is it only when Next is set?

Only the Next option will preload the next image.

Mike Richards