Topic: How do I generate a "You need to install flash/javascript" message

I'm linking to several simple viewer slide shows on my web site. I want to generate a message telling people they need flash so that, if they don't have flash and javascript installed or turned on they won't simply get a blank page, which is what is currently happening. Here is the code that is on my simple viewer index page. Can you tell me exactly what code to add and where exactly to add it? Will this work for all browsers? Thanks very much.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <title>Plowshare Farm</title>
</head>

<body>

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function () {
        SV.simpleviewer.load('sv-container', '100%', '100%', '000000', true , null, null, null, false);
    });
    </script>
    <div id="sv-container"></div>
    <!--END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

</body>
</html>

Re: How do I generate a "You need to install flash/javascript" message

I want to generate a message telling people they need flash so that, if they don't have flash and javascript installed or turned on they won't simply get a blank page, which is what is currently happening

SimpleViewer will show the Mobile Player if Flash is not enabled. If JavaScript is not enabled then SimpleViewer will display the content inside the ""sv-container" div. So you could add some text in here like this: "This content requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser."

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Felix, thanks for your answer. I've tried it on several browsers, and all I get is a totally blank page. I don't get a mobile player or the content displayed inside the sv-container. In any case, what you suggest is just what I want to do. I want to add that text. But I don't know what code to use or where in the existing stream of text, which I posted above, to place it. Thanks.

I've tried it on several browsers, and all I get is a totally blank page.

It sounds like your gallery is not uploaded correctly. What is the gallery URL?

Felix Turner

Felix, what I meant to say is that I've tried it on several browsers that have flash and/or java turned off and get a blank page. The slide shows run perfectly on all browsers that have those turned on. I simply want to generate a message to those who have flash off telling them to get flash, and I don't know the code for that or where to place it. Here's a link to one of the galleries. You will see that it works fine, but aren't you getting a blank page if you try to run it with java or flash turned off?

http://www.fredgoldsmithphotography.com … shareFarm/

Your HTML page http://www.fredgoldsmithphotography.com … shareFarm/ currently uses the following embedding code.

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function () {
        SV.simpleviewer.load('sv-container', '100%', '100%', '000000', true , null, null, null, false);
    });
    </script>
    <div id="sv-container"></div>
    <!--END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

If you place your message in the 'sv-container' <div> (ie. between <div id="sv-container"> and </div>), then it will be displayed if the user's browser has JavaScript disabled.

Steven Speirs

Steven, thank you so much. I really appreciate the quick responses from both you and Felix. It's very helpful.