Topic: Parsing single XML file into multiple galleries?

Hi, i'm having some trouble with modifying the actionscript 2.0 for the multiple galleries tutorial to parse information from a single xml file, which is organized by node via GalleryCMS

i'd like to have the buttons from "Multiple_Galleries.fla" (mcGal1.onRelease, etc) reference different versions of this excerpted code from "XMLManager.as":

imageCount = Number(xmlRoot.childNodes[0].childNodes.length);
        for (var i:Number = 0;i<imageCount;i++){
        var resultNode:XMLNode = xmlRoot.childNodes[0].childNodes[i];
        imageFileNames.push(resultNode.childNodes[0].firstChild.nodeValue);  
imageCaptions.push(resultNode.childNodes[1].firstChild.nodeValue);                                            }

i'm already familiar with the multiple xml files approach, but i was really hoping to integrate this GalleryCMS backend, so i'd like to keep everything organized in one XML file by different childNodes and then parsed manually with buttons.

unfortunately, i'm a bit of a novice at coding from scratch and i'm not sure how to script a button to re-parse the XML galleries. I've located the relevant code in XMLManager.as (posted above), but obviously i cant get a button from the main flash movie (multiple_galleries.swf) to interact dynamically with that class (XMLmanager.as), and after lots of trial and error, i just can't figure out any other solution.

Ive scoured the forums, but there doesnt appear to be anybody else doing anything similar with their modifications. Most people seem to go the route of using multiple xml files, but that wont work for my CMS.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by naturesrat (2011-02-19 06:21:37)

Re: Parsing single XML file into multiple galleries?

Sorry for the repost, desperately looking for some help... I'm trying to figure out if i can create a button in the multiple galleries swf that runs a function that will load a different gallery via different xml childnode value ...  i'm completely thrown off by the xmlmanager.as   coding interactions with a class is a bit beyond my actionscript abilities.   i'd really like to use simpleviewer for this project, so if anybody could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!