Topic: embed into HTML page with Dreamweaver

Hi, I followed directions to embed code, but instead of a gallery, all I see on my preview page is the code I just pasted into the HTML. Do I paste into the preview part or the code part of editing in DW?

I think I have my file paths wrong, but where do I save the files? I have the svcore folder and the simpleview_212 folder saved in my website folder on my PC. Is this correct? The images for this gallery are saved in a separate file. What is the "gallery" file?

Thanks

Re: embed into HTML page with Dreamweaver

This is what I am doing.

I have a folder of images for one of my galleirs in my site root folder on my PC.

I copy and paste the "web" folder from simpleviewer_212 into my image folder.

I make the gallery with svBuilder.

I save the folder in my image folder.

I save the html page which will include the gallery in the image folder.

Do I overwrite my images?

I paste the code given by svBuilder into my code of Dreamweaver.

I see some yellow icons in my design page.

I preview in IE and I see no gallery, just a small image icon.

What step(s) am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

• Create your gallery in svBuilder

• Save the gallery to it's own folder

• Copy the svCore, images and thumbs folders and the gallery.xml file to the folder that has your HTML file in it.

• Paste the code below into your HTML page where you want to the gallery to appear.

• Save your HTML and preview it in a browser.

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(document).ready(function () {
SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true);
});
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … html#embed

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

HI Mike, your instructions helped me a lot. Now I can see it is working perfectly in the preview, at least on Chrome, not on IE.

I have loaded my folders, but when I load my live page, I see everything except the gallery. This is my URL if you see that you can find my error:

http://www.art925.com/furniture.html

Thanks again!
naomi

You need to add a doctype and take a look at your HTML errors.

Mike Richards

Thank you. I am not a coder. I did not even know about these error checks. I never had DOC type on any pages of my "old" website. Now I will add it on all pages. If I fix the errors accordingly, the page look changes to something I don't want. At one point, it tells me that:

"Many Flash authoring tools recommend, or enforce, the usage of the <embed> element to include flash animations or applications in Web pages. <embed>, however, was never part of any standardized version of HTML, and this practice produces invalid markup.nThere are many techniques to incorporate flash in valid web pages. One of the most famous is the Flash Satay technique."

and points to a link from 2002. I'm not sure I should follow those old instructions. Is it true that Simple Viewer cannot be used on HTML pages?

I have not reloaded the fixed page yet, so don't bother looking at it for now since I am not sure what to do here.

Thanks

Hi, I have fixed most of the errors, but this still does not explain why the SV is not showing. My page errors are not part of the SV code. See:

http://www.art925.com/furniture.html

In my browser privew, SV still works in Chrome but not in IE. It should appear in the dark grey bar (body) part of my page.

SimpleViewer, not so simple.  sad

Thanks for any advice.

In my browser privew, SV still works in Chrome but not in IE.

The gallery is not working in Chrome for me, it looks like you are missing some of the files required. Did you upload all of the svCore folder? If I try to navigate to http://www.art925.com/svcore/swf/simpleviewer.swf I get a 404 not found error.

I'm not sure I should follow those old instructions. Is it true that Simple Viewer cannot be used on HTML pages?

No, SimpleViewer can be embed into HTML pages, see our support page Embedding SimpleViewer into HTML page.

Hi, I have fixed most of the errors, but this still does not explain why the SV is not showing. My page errors are not part of the SV code.

HTML errors can cause the browser to not render the page properly or prevent SimpleViewer for working.

Mike Richards

Hi, no the SV only works when I *preview* in Chrome from Dreamweaver. It does not work live in any browser.

I have followed the Embed instructions. Am I ALSO supposed to do the Embed Code Parameters in the Head and Body?

I did upload the entier svCore folder. Do you think it could be how my site folders are organized that is causing the problem? Perhaps I need to try the BaseURL trick?

Also, out of curiosity, I checked a few popular websites to see if their pages had HTML errors, and almost every one did...even Google home page! I have only left a couple minor HTML "errors" on my page because when I deleted them, it made the layout of the page wrong. DO you still think this is what is preventing my SV from working? I have read some fourms that say to embed a Flash source code, play movie or something like that, but that does not sound right to me.

Thank you.

I did upload the entier svCore folder. Do you think it could be how my site folders are organized that is causing the problem? Perhaps I need to try the BaseURL trick?

You svCore folder seems to be located at http://www.art925.com/svcore/ as you can get at the simpleviewer.js using http://www.art925.com/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js, but is seems to be missing some files as I said before the http://www.art925.com/svcore/swf/simpleviewer.swf is not access able. Try deleting the svCore folder from the server and uploading the copy of the svCore folder found in the web folder of the SimpleViewer download. If you are using dreamweaver to do the upload try a using a FTP client such as Filezilla.

Also, out of curiosity, I checked a few popular websites to see if their pages had HTML errors, and almost every one did...even Google home page! I have only left a couple minor HTML "errors" on my page because when I deleted them, it made the layout of the page wrong.

Many site do have errors however the best way to ensure a site works in most browsers is to fix the errors. If the layout appeared "wrong" after the errors were fixed then it was coded incorrectly, most likely a change is needed to the CSS.

DO you still think this is what is preventing my SV from working? I have read some fourms that say to embed a Flash source code, play movie or something like that, but that does not sound right to me.

You do not use the source file (the fla) when embedding flash into a web page, you shouldn't worry about what other sites say about embedding flash when dealing with SimpleViewer.

Mike Richards

hi Mike,

you are correct that folder of svcore was missing some elements that probably got dropped during an upload, but i did have the complete folder within my page folder. I have it set up like this with my gallery.xml and furniture.html and index.html all in the same parent folder called furniture:

/httpdocs/
   furniture
    images
    svcore
        css
        img
        js
        swf
    thumbs
    web

I want to have separate pages with separate galleries. I understand to do this, each gallery, html page and images for that gallery have to be in separate folders along with the svcore file in each folder (doesn't that take up a lot of space on the server to repeat the program every time)?

Still the same scenario.

Thanks

I tired deleting everything related to SV and started over. Now my page is 404 Not Found....now I am really lost. The instructions sound so easy but I am missing something.

Maybe I am saving from svBuilder incorrectly? What should the Index name be....always Index or should it be the same name as my HTML page? If I have "index" for several galleries, how will it differentiate between galleries?

In my Furniture folder within my Site folder on my PC, am I supposed to have both "furniture.html" and "index.html" or should there just be one .html?

Or does my furniture.html page have to be outside of the folder?

Hi Mike

I figured it out...the SV works now!!! I saved the html page outside of the folder and used the BaseURL code and now it works. I just hope I will be able to do multiple galleries this same way.

Thank you for your help and your patience...you must get a lot of frustrated dry-eyed people sending crazy messages.

Naomi

www.art925.com/furniture