Topic: Embed Simpleviewer Pro gallery in iWeb

Hi!

I am want to get your Simpleviewer pro app but I need to know if it will embed in iWeb.  I am not a programmer but I am willing to tinker.

I tried to put a SimpleViewer gallery in my iWeb page but it does not fit.   It covers up the other info on my page unless I drag your embedded gallery way down on the page.  But then there is too much blank space on the web page.
See here: http://web.me.com/dansphotos/Site_3/Blank_2.html

Is there a way to crop closer to the slideshow so I just see what is needed?

Thanks!

Re: Embed Simpleviewer Pro gallery in iWeb

To begin with you are not using the most recent version of SimpleViewer, you are using SimpleViewer 1.x and the most recent version is SimpleViewer 2.1.2. I would suggest you try the free version of SimpleViewer 2.

The easiest way to embed SimpleViewer 2 into iweb would be to create your gallery using svBuilder and then copy the code generated by svBuilder into the HTML of your page where you would like the gallery to show up in your page.

Your embed code will look something like this

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(document).ready(function () {
SV.simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true);
});
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … html#embed

You could also use an iframe to insert your gallery into your page.

<iframe src="mygalleryfolder/index.html" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

See 2) Using an iFrame

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you!  I will try this out -  although at this stage,  it seems daunting to me.
One question:  What is the purpose of svBuilder?  Does it do the same thing as iPhoto in creating and exporting a gallery for SimpleViewer?  Is it better than iPhoto or Aperture in doing this?   One of the reasons I like Simpleviewer is the plugin to these programs.     How is svBuider different or better?   Thanks!

What is the purpose of svBuilder?

svBuilder is a dedicated adobe air application that comes with the SimpleViewer gallery that provides a very easy method for building and customizing galleries.

Does it do the same thing as iPhoto in creating and exporting a gallery for SimpleViewer?  Is it better than iPhoto or Aperture in doing this?

It is very similar in function to the plug-in available for iPhoto or Aperture.

Mike Richards

THANK YOU FOR GETTING BACK TO ME!

I want to reinstall the latest Flash Album exporter plugin but I cannot find install directions.  I can't remember how I installed the earlier version.  (I have really looked online for this info with no success - believe me, I don't want to bother you too much over a free app!)  If If I finally update and install the latest FAE, will it be just as good as svBuilder?   That is,  will it publish albums that are also view-able on iPads/iPhones as well as regular computers?   Or should I only use svBuilder for this?

The main reason for my hesitance to use svBuilder is that all my albums are already arranged - with photos in correct chronological order -  in iPhoto and/or Aperture and I don't want to waste time re-doing this work.

Hi!

I decided to try svBuilder.   I published the slideshow to a folder on my desktop.   Now where do I copy it?  You say to copy it to the same folder as my html page.

First - is this the master folder for my website or do I copy it into the folder for that particular web page within the site?

Second, should the contents still reside in the Simpleviewer folder or should I drag them out?    That is, do I drag the folder from my desktop or the contents ?  You say contents but I am new to all this so it is confusing.

I already copied the Simpleviewer folder itself to my html folder (or what I think is the correct folder) but it does not work.

Thanks!

I published the slideshow to a folder on my desktop.   Now where do I copy it?  You say to copy it to the same folder as my html page.

Are you intending to embed the gallery your created into an existing page or is the gallery in its own page? If you are embedding the gallery into an existing page follow the embed instructions, or if you are just going to link to the gallery copy the folder to your web directory and create a link to it in your other pages.

First - is this the master folder for my website or do I copy it into the folder for that particular web page within the site?

Second, should the contents still reside in the Simpleviewer folder or should I drag them out?    That is, do I drag the folder from my desktop or the contents ?  You say contents but I am new to all this so it is confusing.

This is the folder that contains the gallery files, where you should put them is dependent on how many galleries you intend to create ans how you want to organize your site structure. You can either copy the files into your base web directory on your server or leave them in the folder and link to it from your pages as I stated above.

I already copied the Simpleviewer folder itself to my html folder (or what I think is the correct folder) but it does not work.

What is the URL you are expecting to see the gallery at? What is the name of the folder that your gallery is in?

As to your previous question
I do not know if there is a SimpleViewer 2.x plug-in available for aperture, last I knew there was only a SimpleViewer 1.9 plug-in. If you want to have access to the mobile gallery you will need to either use svBuilder or one of the SimpleViewer 2 templates.

Mike Richards

I am going insane.  Thank you for all your help.  I love your slideshows but I have come to the conclusion that I cannot embed them.  I need more help and/or knowledge - than I have.    Thanks again!

HOLD IT!  Success! I managed to embed your galleries in iWeb by using iFrames!  Thanks again!
Here is a sample page: 
http://www.danderrico.com/Danderrico/Interiors.html

Now... for follow-up comments and questions:

1)  I am using svBuilder.  I have not been able to get the Transparent background to work when I check the box.   I have had to change the code manually every time I want it.   Am I doing something wrong?

2)  Using svBuilder: I have been using the Title field.   I see my Title when I preview in the browser.  However, when I publish to the web, I see no Title.   For example:  http://www.danderrico.com/svCorpPortraits/
Anyway to fix this?  Otherwise, I may have to embed this page in order to create titles.

3) Testing on an iPhone.   The galleries that are not embedded work great!  However, once embedded, the images appear on the very bottom of the iPhone display and the bottom 30 percent of each photo seems cut off.    Does this happen on all mobile devices?   (Here is a sample page: http://www.danderrico.com/Danderrico/Interiors.html)   Is there a workaround?   I guess I could not embed - but I need text on the page.

4) Does svBuilder Pro enable me to enter a lot more text on the page?    Then I might be able to avoid some embedding all together and it might solve problem #3.   

I would probably be interested in buying your pro version once I am comfortable with the basic version.   

5) Last:  a feature request.   I would love to have my large homepage picture change to a different photo automatically by itself on a schedule.    For example, my homepage would show a photo of a turkey around Thanksgiving.   After Thanksgiving, the picture would automatically change to a Christmas photo for a month.     After Christmas, I could have a New Year's photo for one day.   Etcetera.   I just don't want to manage this automatically.   I want to set up a schedule TODAY, load the pictures and not worry about it for a year.  Is this possible? 

Thanks!

-Dan

1)  I am using svBuilder.  I have not been able to get the Transparent background to work when I check the box.   I have had to change the code manually every time I want it.   Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure why you would be having issue, it seems to be working for me. If you are using an iframe make sure to add allowTransparency="true" to your iframe.

<iframe  allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

2)  Using svBuilder: I have been using the Title field.   I see my Title when I preview in the browser.  However, when I publish to the web, I see no Title.   For example:  http://www.danderrico.com/svCorpPortraits/
Anyway to fix this?  Otherwise, I may have to embed this page in order to create titles.

Are your titles white on a white background?

3) Testing on an iPhone.   The galleries that are not embedded work great!  However, once embedded, the images appear on the very bottom of the iPhone display and the bottom 30 percent of each photo seems cut off.    Does this happen on all mobile devices?   (Here is a sample page: http://www.danderrico.com/Danderrico/Interiors.html)   Is there a workaround?   I guess I could not embed - but I need text on the page.

This is an issue in SimpleViewer 2.1.2 and will be fixed in the next version which should be released soon.

4) Does svBuilder Pro enable me to enter a lot more text on the page?    Then I might be able to avoid some embedding all together and it might solve problem #3.

You can add the same amount of text in both the pro and standard versions.

5) Last:  a feature request.   I would love to have my large homepage picture change to a different photo automatically by itself on a schedule.    For example, my homepage would show a photo of a turkey around Thanksgiving.   After Thanksgiving, the picture would automatically change to a Christmas photo for a month.     After Christmas, I could have a New Year's photo for one day.   Etcetera.   I just don't want to manage this automatically.   I want to set up a schedule TODAY, load the pictures and not worry about it for a year.  Is this possible?

If you were comfortable with a server side language such as PHP you could set something like this up.

Mike Richards

Thanks Mike!
My text is gray - and I see it in the browser preview so who knows?   Perhaps I will set it to black and see if it improves.   I look forward to next version!

I changed the text to black and republished but it still doesn't show up.  I have reset my cache, too!  Who knows??

Looking at the gallery.xml for the gallery I'm not seeing title ="whatever your title is" in the simpleviewer tag at the top of the XML.

<simpleviewergallery resizeOnImport="false" maxImageWidth="1024" maxImageHeight="1024" imageQuality="80" thumbWidth="75" thumbHeight="75" thumbQuality="90" useFlickr="false" cropToFit="false" thumbPosition="BOTTOM" backgroundColor="FFFFFF" frameColor="CCCCCC" thumbRows="1" frameWidth="5" textColor="666666" thumbColumns="4" showOpenButton="false" backgroundTransparent="true" useFlash="true" galleryHeight="100%" showFullscreenButton="true">
Mike Richards

I am not sure how to do that.   My gallery xml folder is empty if that is where I would look!  I have tried re-entering the title info and even changing it.   Maybe I need to reinstall the program.

The XML file to which Mike is referring is: http://www.danderrico.com/svCorpPortraits/gallery.xml
Open the file in a plain text editor, add a title attribute to the opening <simpleviewergallery> tag and reupload the file.
ie. change:

<simpleviewergallery 

resizeOnImport="false"
    maxImageWidth="1024"
    maxImageHeight="1024"
    imageQuality="80"
    thumbWidth="75"
    thumbHeight="75"
    thumbQuality="90"
    useFlickr="false"
    cropToFit="false"
    thumbPosition="BOTTOM"
    backgroundColor="FFFFFF"
    frameColor="CCCCCC"
    thumbRows="1"
    frameWidth="5"
    textColor="666666"
    thumbColumns="4"
    showOpenButton="false"
    backgroundTransparent="true"
    useFlash="true"
    galleryHeight="100%"
    showFullscreenButton="true"

>

... to:

<simpleviewergallery 

resizeOnImport="false"
    maxImageWidth="1024"
    maxImageHeight="1024"
    imageQuality="80"
    thumbWidth="75"
    thumbHeight="75"
    thumbQuality="90"
    useFlickr="false"
    cropToFit="false"
    thumbPosition="BOTTOM"
    backgroundColor="FFFFFF"
    frameColor="CCCCCC"
    thumbRows="1"
    frameWidth="5"
    textColor="666666"
    thumbColumns="4"
    showOpenButton="false"
    backgroundTransparent="true"
    useFlash="true"
    galleryHeight="100%"
    showFullscreenButton="true"
    title="Your title goes here."

>

Entering a title in the 'Title' field in svBuilder-Pro (under 'Customize -> Standard') should automatically write this entry into the gallery's XML file.

Steven Speirs

I think I kinda figured out what has been happening!   I hope this makes sense.   I think when I update my galleries and upload them to the server, it does not write over the original files automatically.

Let us review....

First, I published my galleries without Titles.  Then I changed my mind - I wanted Titles.    So I re-published my new galleries with Titles to the folder on my desktop.    The titles would appear when the new slideshow was previewed in the browser before uploading to the web.  But when I uploaded to the web, I kept getting the same old slideshow.   

Somehow, the old files on the server were not being written over even though it took a few minutes to upload the new files.

Now I empty the "previously published" folder on my desktop before I publish the new updated version - with Titles - of the slideshow.   Once the publish folder is empty, I create a New Gallery and re-publish into the same folder.     When I upload this to my server, it will load correctly with the titles.

I suppose this might also work if I delete the folder from the server first and then replace it.

If this makes sense.   I am not sure why it works but it does.