Topic: New update broke old galleries plus cant create any new galleries

Hello,

I upgraded to the new version of WP-SimpleViewer (version 2.1.2 ). Unfortunatley this has broken my existing galleries with some fatal errors. Also, I can't create any new gallery or edit any existing ones.

When I open any published post with galleries created on previous release of WP-SimpleViewer I get the following fatal error:

Warning: DOMDocument::load() [domdocument.load]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/14.xml" in /home/nishantr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 795

Fatal error: Call to a member function getAttribute() on a non-object in /home/nishantr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 800

Also, when I go to edit existing Simpleviewer galleries on my dashboard, I get the following error and none of the existing galleries get displayed on the screen.

Warning: opendir() [function.opendir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/nishantr/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/nishantr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 754

Warning: opendir(/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Operation not permitted in /home/nishantr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 754

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/nishantr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 757

Warning: closedir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/nishantr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 766

Plus, attempt to create new gallery also fails with following message:

[simpleviewer 
Warning: could not save gallery.xml file. in /home/nishantr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/web/buildgallery.php on line 1058

Fatal error: Call to a member function setAttribute() on a non-object in /home/nishantr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/build-gallery.php on line 109
]

What I notice is that the upgrade to new version of the plugin has broken previous galleries. Also, I am unable to create new galleries either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nishant

Re: New update broke old galleries plus cant create any new galleries

Hi,

Does your server meet the WP-SimpleViewer installation requirements?

Did you follow the installation instructions?

What version of WP-SimpleViewer did you upgrade from? As mentioned in the install instructions, Upgrading from v1.5.4 will cause galleries created with the old plugin not to display. Check here for the solution.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have upgraded WP-SimpleViewer from the dashboard of my wordpress installation. It was upgraded from version 2.x and not v1.5.4.

Infact, I have the work around for the galleries created by v1.5.4 as per the instructions  on http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … viewer/#v1 .

Hence v1.5.4 galleries work fine.  The issue is only with galleries made by previous 2.x versions of Wp-SimpleViewer and the latest version. I can neither have the old v2.x.X galleries displayed nor create new galleries.

The error messages as I saw it, seem to be happening when referred to xml files. I double checked the "uploads" folder. All the xml files of old galleries are present. Also, I have given permission 777 to that folder.

Regarding the requirements, all of it is satisfied. But I am not sure about DOM extension. I have cPanel interface. Can anyone tell me How do I check/verify that on Cpanel?

Nishant

You can use phpinfo() to check the DOM extension.
Put the following code into a file named 'phpinfo.php', upload it to your web server, open it in a browser and search for the 'dom' section.

<?php
phpinfo();
?>
Steven Speirs

Thanks for the quick reply Steven,

I cross-checked with your suggestion. DOM extensions are enabled.

DOM/XML    enabled
DOM/XML API Version    20031129
libxml Version    2.7.8
HTML Support    enabled
XPath Support    enabled
XPointer Support    enabled
Schema Support    enabled
RelaxNG Support    enabled

You can crosscheck it for more information on my websever. The link to phpinfo.php on my site is www.nishantratnakar.com/phpinfo.php

Let me know what to do next.

Regards,
Nishant

Hi,

• I have upgraded to wordpress 3.1.1

• Also, deleted the plugin. And reinstalled it manually by FTP uploads

But the issues still remains.

• Cannot create new galleries

• Cannot edit any galleries created with older 2.x version of the plugin

• Fatal error in webpages which earlier could display posts with galleries created with older 2.x version of the plugin

Any work around or Any suggestions?

Nishant

Hi,

We've found that some WP plugins are not compatible with WP-SimpleViewer. There is a list of them here: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … iewer/#req

You can try disabling your other plugins and see if this fixes the problem.

Felix Turner

He Felix,

None of the plugins in that list are installed on my wordpress.
I disabled all the plugins on my wordpress (except WP-SimpleViewer) and tried again.
But still, the errors remain just the way they were.

Nishant

Hello,

I have managed to get the plugin working for now.
This is what I did.

In the ".../wp-content/uploads/2011/..." directory path,

The permission of uploads directory was 755
        The permission of "2011" directory was also 755

I changed the permission of "2011" directory from 755 to 777. After I made this change, the plugin works fine in all the above mentioned scenarios where it had failed earlier

But,  Is it safe to leave this directory with permission "777"? In general is it safe to give 777 permission to any directory inside uploads folder?

Nishant

Yes.  As the instructions state here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … pleviewer/

The /wp-content/uploads/ folder must exist and have full access permissions (777).

It is safe (and required) to give the 'uploads' folder '777' permissions and to recurse into subdirectories.

Steven Speirs