Topic: Galleries not showing in Internet Explorer 8

Working on a new website with a portfolio page. Simpleviewer gallery displays perfectly in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, IE9, but users of IE8 get a blank space where the gallery of images should appear. I've searched the forums and tried all the recommendations I could find and understand - no luck. Could someone please take a look at my page and provide assistance? I have 2 other websites that rely on this same type of gallery. Here is the link [http://www.digitalartconcepts.com/conwa … ylife.html] to the website preview - it is not currently live. I am using Freeway Pro 5.5 to design the website and Simpleviewer 2.1.1.

Re: Galleries not showing in Internet Explorer 8

I notice you are using SimpleViewer Pro v2.1.1. Try upgrading to the latest version (v2.1.2).

Upgrades are free within the same major version number and you can download the latest version by using the link from your purchase email.

To upgrade your gallery, just replace the 'svcore' folder in your gallery with the 'svcore' folder from the SimpleViewer Pro download package ('simpleviewer_pro_212/web/svcore/').

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you Steven.

I followed your recommendation of installing v2.1.2 and replacing the gallery svcore folder. I do not have a PC or IE8 so I have to rely on what my client (who does) is telling me. This is his response: I installed the newest version of Flash Player, reset the cache and still can only view in compatibility view. Are other designers encountering this issue? I had someone using IE9 check the Portfolio and it worked fine for him.

Any other suggestions?

This could be a JavaScript conflict.
Try moving the line:

<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>

... to the beginning of the <head> section (above the lines loading the Prototype and Scriptaculous libraries).
Does the SimpleViewer gallery now show up?
Do the other JavaScript effects on your page still work?

Steven Speirs

The SimpleViewer gallery is showing up fine now - thank you!

The other JavaScript effects are not working. If there is no easy fix for that, I'll just do without the fade in effect but would love to have everything working.

I got the chance earlier today to view for myself on a PC and discovered that another website I did that uses the SimpleViewer gallery renders perfectly without any code editing. No idea what I may have done differently. Hope this is helpful. [http://cooperphotography.com/WeddingGal … ograp.html]

If it is a JavaScript conflict, I do not know why it affects only IE8 (not IE7 or IE9 or any other browser).
The link to your working gallery does not load Prototype or Scriptaculous so it certainly looks like it might be a conflict with one of those libraries.
You could try updating both Prototype and Scriptaculous to see if that makes a difference.
I noticed that the versions you were using were not the current stable versions.

Steven Speirs