Topic: thumbnails as squares

I am trying to upgrade an existing v1.9 gallery to a v2.1.3 gallery..

I have square thumbs on my v1 gallery and now they are rectangle.  Is there a setting to crop thumbs to squares like they did in ver1?

Peter

Last edited by eastwooddesign (2011-06-01 13:07:00)

Re: thumbnails as squares

You can use svBuilder-Pro to upgrade a v1.9 gallery to v2.1.3.
See 'Upgrading Exisiting Galleries to Version 2.1.3' on this page: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … grade.html

You can set the thumbnails to be displayed as square by setting thumbWidth and thumbHeight to the same values in the gallery's XML file.
http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … tml#thumbs

If creating a gallery with svBuilder-Pro, thumbnails will be created from the input images (and cropped if necessary) at the 'Thumbnail Size' specified on the 'Images' tab.
http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … uilderpro/

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

my gallery is 960px wide by 503 high
but when I publish my gallery I am getting padding around my main image. Also why are the thumbnails that are automatically created so fuzzy

useFlickr="false"
    resizeOnImport="true"
    cropToFit="true"
    title="Colonel"
    indexPageName="gallery_mobile.html"
    thumbPosition="RIGHT"
    galleryStyle="CLASSIC"
    thumbColumns="2"
    thumbRows="4"
    backgroundColor="FFFFFF"
    galleryWidth="960px"
    galleryHeight="503px"
    imageBackColor="FFFFFF"
    showOpenButton="false"
    showFullscreenButton="false"
    textColor="CCCCCC"
    thumbVAlign="CENTER"
    thumbPadding="10"
    stageBorder="0"
    stageHPadding="0"
    stageVPadding="0"
    thumbNavPadding="10"
    thumbNavBackOpacity="0.5"
    buttonBarPosition="TOP"
    titleFontSize="16"
    titleWidth="200"
    titleHeight="20"
    floatTitle="true"
    thumbNavColor="CCCCCC"
    thumbNavHoverColor="999999"
    frameWidth="30"

Please post a URL to your gallery so that we can take a look.

Also why are the thumbnails that are automatically created so fuzzy

Have you tried setting thumbWidth and thumbHeight to the actual width and height of your thumbnail images?

Steven Speirs

http://eastwooddesign.ca/gallery/test/

the vertical images should stretch to the top and bottom of the area defined.  The horiz images should fill the space flush to the left, top and bottom. 

There should bot be all the white space around them.

Thumbs should also not be flush right.

THis is how I have things looking in simpleviewer 1.9.  I need to match this layout as close as possible
http://eastwooddesign.ca/gallery/gallery.png

Last edited by eastwooddesign (2011-06-01 22:57:05)

SimpleViewer v2 was written from the ground up and has different options from v1.9 so it may not be possible to exactly replicate a v1.9 gallery.
Your best chance of duplicating a v1.9 layout would be to use the live preview in svBuilder-Pro to view the layout as you change each option in the interface.
A Fixed Layout can be used to give absolute fixed positions to stage elements. This would be useful to achieve a custom layout not supported by the available Pro Options.
With regard to your thumbnails: they are 76px x 76 px and are being displayed at the default settings of 75px x 75px.
Either use thumbWidth="76" and thumbHeight="76" in your gallery's XML file or resize your thumbnails to 75px x 75px.

Steven Speirs

doesn't seem to explain why I cannot control the padding around the main image and how I can get more padding to the right of the thumbnails.  Seems I have less control now than I did in ver 1.9

I should also not my page has a div that is dynamically centered vertically and horizontally based on browser size.  So I don't think a fixed layout will work for me here

Not sure how the thumbs got to be 76px.  I had 75 px in the software and they were created by the software.

otherwise I will have to request a refund for my recent pro version.

Last edited by eastwooddesign (2011-06-01 23:22:51)

The 'padding' looks like it might be a large white border around the main image, invisible against your gallery's white background.
Try setting imageFrameStyle="NONE" (or frameWidth="0") in your gallery's XML file.

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

The 'padding' looks like it might be a large white border around the main image, invisible against your gallery's white background.
Try setting imageFrameStyle="NONE" (or frameWidth="0") in your gallery's XML file.

thanks I will give it a shot

Not sure how the thumbs got to be 76px.  I had 75 px in the software and they were created by the software.

This sounds like a bug.
Could you please confirm the versions of svBuilder-Pro and Adobe Air that you are using and what platform you are on (Mac or PC)? This may not be relevant but the more information we have, the more likely we are to find the cause.
Also, would you be willing to upload one of your original images (that resulted in a 76px x 76px thumbnail) somewhere for me to try creating a 75px x 75px thumbnail in svBuilder-Pro for myself? Thanks.

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

this fixed the border on the top and bottom, but I am still not able to get the full image to stay flush left.

I need to move the main image and all the thumbs over to the left about 30 pix

I am making a little headway on this.  staytuned.

TIA

Last edited by eastwooddesign (2011-06-02 14:12:53)

Steven Speirs wrote:

This sounds like a bug.
Could you please confirm the versions of svBuilder-Pro and Adobe Air that you are using and what platform you are on (Mac or PC)? This may not be relevant but the more information we have, the more likely we are to find the cause.
Also, would you be willing to upload one of your original images (that resulted in a 76px x 76px thumbnail) somewhere for me to try creating a 75px x 75px thumbnail in svBuilder-Pro for myself? Thanks.

simpleviewer_pro_213
Adobe  AIR  2.6
MAC

Thanks for the information.

Steven Speirs

I have tried everything and I cannot get rid of a 25pix white padding on the left of my main images.

I have my main images set to align left and instead of being flush left there is a 25 pix padding

Is the gallery to which you are referring this one: http://eastwooddesign.ca/gallery/test/ ?
If not, please post a URL to the gallery in question.

Try setting:
imageFrameStyle="NONE"
thumbPosition="RIGHT"
stageBorder="0"

Creating a new gallery in svBuilder-Pro and changing only these three options should be enough to have the main images flush against the left-hand side of the user's browser window.

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

Is the gallery to which you are referring this one: http://eastwooddesign.ca/gallery/test/ ?
If not, please post a URL to the gallery in question.

Try setting:
imageFrameStyle="NONE"
thumbPosition="RIGHT"
stageBorder="0"

Creating a new gallery in svBuilder-Pro and changing only these three options should be enough to have the main images flush against the left-hand side of the user's browser window.

yes that is the one.

I already have those settings:
useFlickr="false"
    resizeOnImport="true"
    cropToFit="true"
    title="Colonel"
    indexPageName="index.html"
    thumbPosition="RIGHT"
    galleryStyle="CLASSIC"
    thumbColumns="2"
    thumbRows="4"
    backgroundColor="NONE"
    galleryWidth="960px"
    galleryHeight="503px"
    imageBackColor="NONE"
    showOpenButton="false"
    showFullscreenButton="false"
    textColor="CCCCCC"
    thumbVAlign="RIGHT"
    thumbPadding="10"
    stageBorder="0"
    stageHPadding="0"
    stageVPadding="0"
    thumbNavPadding="10"
    thumbNavBackOpacity="0.5"
    buttonBarPosition="TOP"
    titleFontSize="16"
    titleWidth="180"
    titleHeight="20"
    floatTitle="true"
    thumbNavColor="CCCCCC"
    thumbNavHoverColor="999999"
    frameWidth="0"
    imageFrameStyle="NONE"
    thumbWidth="76"
    thumbHeight="76"
    maxImageWidth="750"
    maxImageHeight="503"
    imageQuality="80"
    thumbQuality="100"
    stageHAlign="CENTER"
    imageHAlign="LEFT"

you may have to update: /gallery/test/gallery.xml

Last edited by eastwooddesign (2011-06-06 23:08:34)

Try removing the following lines from your gallery's XML file:

maxImageWidth="750"
maxImageHeight="503"
Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

Try removing the following lines from your gallery's XML file:

maxImageWidth="750"
maxImageHeight="503"

thanks that helped the main image be tight to the left.  Now how do I add some padding to the right of the thumbnails?

It is not possible to add padding to only one edge of the gallery.
However, you could position all your elements using a Fixed Layout: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … html#fixed
A fixed layout gives absolute fixed positions to stage elements and dynamic resizing based on browser window size does not occur.
However, being that your gallery is of a fixed size (960px x 503px - the dimensions having been defined using absolute pixel values rather than percentages), the gallery itself will not be dynamically resized anyway so you do not have this functionality to lose by moving to a fixed layout.
This should not affect the positioning of the gallery's parent container on your page.

Steven Speirs