Topic: Pictures added to post instead of to gallery

Hi,

I've got SimpleViewer Pro and the WP-Plugin, and have upgraded the plugin to the Pro version as described in the documents. Now, adding a new gallery to a post or page is no problem at all, however adding images to that gallery is.

Problem A: I add a gallery to a post or a page in WP, click OK, gallery code is in the post. Then I click the "add image"  button. Upload several pictures, click "save all changes" and gallery dialog appears. I save the dialog. Result is two visible galleries: one automatic WP gallery, and one SV gallery. I don't want the first one to show though.

Problem B: When I want to build a new gallery or edit an existing one by using images which are already uploaded (thus chose them from the media files archive) I can only pick one picture at a time, and this picture is plainly inserted into the post or page instead of added to the SV gallery. This is very critical, since I usually build galleries with pictures already uploaded.

Would be nice if someone could help me soon.

Best regards,
spida

Re: Pictures added to post instead of to gallery

Upload several pictures, click "save all changes" and gallery dialog appears.

At this point, close the pop-up window without clicking 'Insert Gallery' (which does not refer to the SimpleViewer gallery) and 'Publish' your post.

I can only pick one picture at a time, and this picture is plainly inserted into the post or page instead of added to the SV gallery.

It is possible to add an existing image in the Media Library to a WP-SimpleViewer gallery.
Create a gallery and publish a post. Then go to your Media Library and 'Attach' an existing image to the post containing the gallery. Then 'Edit' and 'Update' the post.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Steven Speirs wrote:

Then go to your Media Library and 'Attach' an existing image to the post containing the gallery. Then 'Edit' and 'Update' the post.

Strangely, I have no possibility to (re-)attach a pictrue from the media library to anything, be it post or gallery. The link "attach" is only available with freshly uploaded images, and then only posts and pages are listed in the attach dialog, galleries are not.
I just figured, that it is the media library normal behavior to offer attachment only for yet unattached media. See the documentation at http://codex.wordpress.org/Media_Library_SubPanel

(My WP version is 3.05, with  current SV plugin. I did a complete new installation in a new directory on the server, yet the problem remains the same. All requirements are met and none of the conflicting plugins is installed.)

If you find the current WordPress behavior restricting, an alternative you might like to consider would be to create a gallery with svBuilder-Pro, upload the gallery folder to your web server and embed the gallery using one of these 2 methods, ensuring that when entering the embedding code into the body of the post, the method of entry is 'HTML' rather than 'Visual'.

Steven Speirs

The way of attaching pictures to a Simpleviewer gallery from WP Media Library seem veeery complicated and not user-friendly or simple at all. Simpleviewer should be able to do this in a elegant way - more like how Simpleviewer works for the user.

I am sorry to be this negative, but if you cannot improve the user friendliness of this feature you should probably remove it. But before doing so it would be nice of you to consider this: The "attach" link for the picture should go directly to a list of existing pages and posts that contain Simpleviewer galleries so no search is necessary. (Having to repeat searching this way for every picture you want to attach to a gallery is just unbearable.)  This list should sort the most recently changed posts/pages with SV galleries first so the distance to selecting the right one is shortest possibly. -The point is to minimize keystrokes and mouse clicking and similar hassle to an absolute minimum when you have to build a gallery from Media Library. - And why is it impossible to use the same picture in more than one gallery at a time?

Except for this I find SV the best and most elegant gallery"machine" I know of. ( For what it is worth). ... And soon a happy new year to you all!

Last edited by Finnk (2011-12-29 00:20:10)

@Finnk

Thank you for your feedback.
As I am not a developer of WP-SimpleViewer, I do not know how difficult it would be to integrate the plugin further with WordPress or what limitations WordPress imposes on the functionality of the plugin (such as whether it would be possible to attach a single image in the Media Library to multiple galleries).
However, although there are many happy users of WP-SimpleViewer, it sounds like you would be better served creating galleries with svBuilder-Pro, uploading your gallery folders to your web server manually (using an FTP program such as Filezilla) and embedding them in posts using the baseURL method as described here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … l#external

Steven Speirs

It is nice to get such a speedy feedback!

I will certainly try all I can not to end up having to use media library as the source for SV galleries.  I plan to use Lightroom for building the galleries and then export - FTP upload - embed.

Do you happen to know the pros and cons for the TTG Lightroom v2.2.0 plugin vs SV-builder Pro?

The two most obvious differences between TTG SimpleViewer (upgraded to SimpleViewer-Pro) and svBuilder-Pro are:
(1) svBuilder-Pro has all Pro Options configurable via the user interface whereas TTG SimpleViewer only has the Standard Options in its interface. To use Pro Options in a gallery created with TTG SimpleViewer, you would have to either manually edit the gallery's XML file or open and edit the gallery in svBuilder-Pro.
(2) svBuilder-Pro has a live preview window which shows you how the gallery looks as you change the options in the interface.

Steven Speirs