Topic: Mobile Player and Flickr

It's me again… I've spent a weekend moving my old SV v1- and v2-based galleries to new SV-Pro installation, regexing old SV-1.x-based XML-configs to current format (old XML-configs work in Flash-based current version of SV, but they don't work in mobile-version) and recreating previews from old galleries (65px, now all are 75px), etc., etc. And now, proud of all this work, I just started to move new galleries to Flickr-based configs (because of server-space constrains).  To my surprise I discovered, that Flickr support is yet another feature missing in the mobile player!  sad
I'm rather disappointed, I must say, because marketing blurb on the Products and News pages do not say a word about how limited mobile player really is. It's a little premature to write: SimpleViewer now supports Universal Playback and can be viewed on Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone, iPad and Android when most of crucial features are missing from the mobile player. I hope the Flickr-support is in the development, otherwise I'm stuck. Please, advise!

Another feedback info: Flickr parameters regarding font size. It seems that flickrTitleFontSize is an equivalent to traditonal captionFontSize (it displays title and/or caption from Flickr-image). But flickrTitleFontSize has a different default value (22) than captionFontSize (14) and that causes the players (both mobile and Flash-based) to behave differently. When I set flickrTitleFontSize="14" in the XML-config then it fixes the Flash-based player – caption has the same size, regardless pictures are hosted on Flickr or on my server. But mobile player still displays different font size in Flickr-mode than in normal-mode. See the screenshots (flickrTitleFontSize set to 14):
server-hosted gallery
Flickr-hosted gallery

Re: Mobile Player and Flickr

To my surprise I discovered, that Flickr support is yet another feature missing in the mobile player!

The Mobile Player does support Flickr as a source of images for a SimpleViewer gallery.
Try using the following code as your gallery's XML file to load images from a Flickr account.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<simpleviewergallery 
    useFlickr="true"
    flickrUserName="your_flickr_username_goes_here">
</simpleviewergallery>

Either view the gallery in a non-Flash enabled device, disable Flash in your browser or force the Mobile Player by setting the useFlash Embed Code Parameter to 'false', ie:

simpleviewer.load('sv-container', '100%', '100%', '222222', false);

Make sure your Flickr images are public and not private.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Steven Speirs wrote:

The Mobile Player does support Flickr as a source of images for a SimpleViewer gallery.

That's fantastic information. My gallery config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<simpleviewergallery 
    title="Festyn letni"
    maxImageWidth="640"
    maxImageHeight="640"
    thumbColumns="4"
    thumbRows="6"
    textColor="FFFF66"
    frameColor="CCCCCC"
    flickrTitleFontSize="14"
    frameWidth="4"
    stagePadding="20"
    navPadding="26"
    imagePreloading="ALL"
    showAutoPlayButton="true"
    displayTime="4"
    useFlickr="true"
    flickrUserId="64119974@N07"
    flickrTags="2011_06_08_festyn_1,2011_06_08_festyn_2"
    flickrSort="DATE-TAKEN-ASC"
    flickrTagMode="ANY"
    flickrImageSize="MEDIUM 640"
    flickrImageCount="200"
    flickrShowPageLink="false"
/>

Which parameter is incompatible with the mobile player? Your config is obviously too simple, Steven – no control over set of pictures, to start with.

If you remove the flickTags option, your Flickr images are displayed.
I notice that your images were uploaded (and presumably) tagged today.
Flickr tags can take a while to propagate through their system in order for the corresponding images to show up in Flickr API searches.
The second FAQ on this Flickr help page suggests that 'it shouldn't take more than a few days until your photos appear in searches': http://www.flickr.com/help/tags/

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

If you remove the flickTags option, your Flickr images are displayed.

Confirmed! It works. Thank you, we're almost there…

Steven Speirs wrote:

I notice that your images were uploaded (and presumably) tagged today.
Flickr tags can take a while to propagate through their system in order for the corresponding images to show up in Flickr API searches.

Yes, images were uploaded and tagged today. Is mobile player using a different API than Flash-player? The Flash-player worked OK (ie: showed those images) since the beginning of my experiments. Actually sv-Builder Pro showed them too, when I used it to make an initial build of my first Flickr-based gallery.
Thanks for help, my posts regarding Flickr problems unnecessarily spammed this “Feature Requests” topic. Would be moved to separate topic.

I tried mobile player with my other (private) Flickr username and tags which are several weeks/months old. Indeed they worked fine, as expected:

useFlickr="true"
    flickrUserName="komor"
    flickrTags="30mm,portrait"
    flickrSort="DATE-TAKEN-ASC"
    flickrTagMode="ANY"

I will wait a day or two and try again with tagging. Still, I'm curious why Flash-player and sv-Builder work with new tags instantly. smile

Thanks for help, my posts regarding Flickr problems unnecessarily spammed this “Feature Requests” topic. Would be moved to separate topic.

Posts split from 'Post Feedback and Feature Requests Here!' forum to new topic.
Please repost relevant information into a new post in the 'Post Feedback and Feature Requests Here!' forum. Thank you.

There may be a problem with using multiple Flickr tags in the Mobile Player.
Using flickrTags="2011_06_08_festyn_1" works.
Using flickrTags="2011_06_08_festyn_2" also works (showing different images).
However, using Using flickrTags="2011_06_08_festyn_1,2011_06_08_festyn_2" gives 'No Images Specified in Gallery XML.' in the Mobile Player (though it works in the Flash Player).

I will look into this further.

Steven Speirs

Thanks, Steven. Seems that my statement about premature premiere of mobile player was… premature, anyway. I owe you a beer. smile