Topic: Deep linking issue with IE8 (not sure about IE9)

Hello,

I'm having an issue with deep-linking and Internet Explorer. I've finally gotten everything working beautifully in Chrome/Firefox/Safari, but alas, IE always throws a wrench into things. My problem is that in the rest of the browsers, deep linking works great and appears as /galleries/g1/#1  /galleries/g1/#2 and so forth. In IE, the proper URL flashes for just a second and then it appears as /galleries/g1/#/1 which breaks inbound linking and really messes with analytics. The code in full can be found at http://b.sgpho.to and in any of the galleries or on the main page. I've tried lots of different workarounds, searching and googling! help!

Thanks!!

Re: Deep linking issue with IE8 (not sure about IE9)

Try removing (or commenting out by adding a leading // to the lines) the 'console.log' lines in the JavaScript in your page.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi,

I commented out the log lines (I had them in there to attempt to debug). Unfortunately, it did not help with the Internet Explorer issue. it still goes to /#/1 and /#/2 and so forth... and only in IE. So strange! There was one hint somewhere on this site that suggested i use the SWFAddress.setValue() method but I haven't been able to make anything work with that ...

It's almost as if IE demands there to be a '/' after a hash mark...? but that's not the case, right?

With the 'console.log' lines commented out, your gallery now displays in IE9 (which it did not previously).
Try using the full page name in the URL, eg. instead of www.example.com/#3, use www.example.com/index.html#3

Steven Speirs

Well that's good news!! didn't know it wasn't working in IE9! but unfortunately, directly addressing the page (e.g. index.php) will not work as that's not part of the SEO strategy. Apache will remove the index.php if I try to add it. Could that cause the problem??? Why wouldn't it happen in other browsers? (stupid question, i know) but does the #/1 issue exist in IE9?

Thanks again Steven!!!

This does happen in IE9 (but not Firefox 5.0, Chrome 12 or Safari 5.0.5) but I do not know why and, at the moment, do not have a workaround to prevent this from happening.

Steven Speirs

Hmmmm. Could it be a bug with one of the other javascript libraries used by SimpleViewer? I notice the bug on the official SV example of how to use API deep linking. It seems like in IE, and only IE, there's two calls for some reason to document.location(). once with #1 and once with #/1... But it doesn't seem to be in the on-page javascript... Where might I go slash hunting?

Hi again! I just wanted to see if y'all maybe had some suggestions for troubleshooting this issue. Thanks!

The only other reference to this that I could find was here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3630 … ash-in-url
... to which there were no responses.
The only workaround I have found is to use the complete URL (including page name), eg: www.example.com/index.html#3

Steven Speirs