Topic: Moving svManager / SimpleViewer Galleries to a different server

Hey everyone,

I was checking in to see if someone had some detailed information or instructions on how to move an existing svManager install to a different server.  Is there a certain protocol I need to follow?  I was surprised not to find a section on this on the forum or in a detailed article in the support area.  I did see this little blurb here http://www.simpleviewer.net/svmanager/s … oveinstall:

Do not simply rename or move the whole svmanager installation on your server. This is how to do it safely:
1.Back-up your svmanager folder to a safe location.
2.Use the option on the galleries screen to unlist all your existing galleries
3.Rename or move the svmanager folder using ftp or similar
4.Import your galleries back into svmanager.

I'm a little hesitant to unlist all the existing galleries (there are 60+ in there).  When I "import" the galleries back into svManager, does it mean I have to important each gallery one-by-one?  Or can I just upload all of the gallery folders via FTP and then use the Import tab?

OR, can I just straight up move the svManager folder/files over to a different server using FTP just as they are?  If all the paths are relative, I'm hoping this option will work.

Let me know - thanks so much!

-Wes

Last edited by guitarwez (2011-07-27 01:42:42)

Re: Moving svManager / SimpleViewer Galleries to a different server

Yes, I can't recall this topic ever coming up on the forum before.

Whatever you do, start by taking a good backup.

The export and re-import procedure should always work but it's a bit tedious with 60 galleries since you do need to import them one by one. It may not be necessary in your case.

can I just straight up move the svManager folder/files over to a different server using FTP just as they are?

This should work in a simple case, i.e. all relative links and all galleries inside the svmanager folder. Try it! You have a backup and you'll soon know if it doesn't work.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.