Topic: Upgraded to Wordpress 3.2.1 and SimpleViewer galleries disappeared

I upgraded to my site to Wordpress 3.2.1 and my SimpleViewer galleries have disappeared. The "Edit Galleries" menu item doesn't show any listed galleries, and the gallery shortcode is appearing in the posts instead of the galleries. I have a gallery at the end of each post on www.uncommonassembly.com. Using SimpleViewer 2.1.3. Thanks greatly for any help.

Re: Upgraded to Wordpress 3.2.1 and SimpleViewer galleries disappeared

The shortcode appearing on your pages looks to have been generated by WP-SimpleViewer v1.5.4 but it also looks like the plugin is currently either not present or inactive as there is no evidence of any embedding code on your page.
Go to the 'Plugins' section of your 'Dashboard' and check that the plugin is installed and activated.
If necessary, you can download WP-SimpleViewer v1.5.4 from this page and try reinstalling it: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … viewer/#v1

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Yes, I deactivated it temporarily, but it's back on now.  I am using 2.1.3. Is there a different shortcode for 2.x?

Last edited by moiremusic (2011-09-02 13:34:30)

I retrograded to 1.5.4 and it seems to be working. My galleries look completely different now, though. It's been a while since I set these up. Going to try to tweak it back to the way I had it.

Yeah, I recall tweaking the gallery to give me rectangular thumbnails, different spacing in the thumbnails, and removing the "SimpleViewer" banner link. So I can find it in my backups, where was this information stored?

Is there a different shortcode for 2.x?

Yes, but not only is the shortcode different, the new version of the plugin (v2) is completely re-written from scratch and is therefore not backward-compatible.
Please see here for details.

I recall tweaking the gallery to give me rectangular thumbnails, different spacing in the thumbnails,

Bear in mind that WP-SimpleViewer v1.5.4 uses SimpleViewer v1.9 rather than SimpleViewer v2.1.3.
SimpleViewer Standard settings are determined by the options in the gallery's XML file ('gallery.xml') file in the gallery folder (in the 'wp-content/photos/' directory). These options can be changed by managing the gallery via the 'WP-SV Galleries' link in the Media section of the WordPress Dashboard.
In order to incorporate Pro options (such as those required to change the thumbnail size), please see here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … tions.html

and removing the "SimpleViewer" banner link

This can be achieved by upgrading WP-SimpleViewer from SimpleViewer Standard to SimpleViewer Pro by the replacing the 'viewer.swf' file in the WP-SimpleViewer plugin with the SWF file from the SimpleViewer Pro v1.9 download package.

Steven Speirs

Thanks greatly for your responses, Steven. I reverted back to the 1.5.4 install and replaced the viewer.swf file with one from my backup that I modified years ago. So everything is in its right place again for now. With that done, I'll be able to consider the proper move to 2.X. smile

One quick question, though. Since the WP-SimpleViewer 2.X is based on SimpleViewer 2, is the Wordpress plugin now iOS-compatible?

Last edited by moiremusic (2011-09-02 18:01:08)

Yes. Galleries created with WP-SimpleViewer v2.1.3 and viewed in Mobile Safari will be displayed by the Mobile Player (rather than Adobe Flash Player) and will be visible.

Steven Speirs