Topic: Latest IE 8 Update - "Gallery XML Not Found"

Firstly I want to say what a fantastic product SV Pro is. One of the simplest products I've ever used with fantastic results.
Got a gallery up and running quick time and all was working perfectly in all browsers. Then suddenly as of yesterday I started getting the message "Gallery XML Not Found" displayed on my site pages that I had the viewer embedded, but only under IE8. Firefox and Chrome no problem! I have the same problem whether viewing live galleries on my site (having FTP'd the relevant files up to the server) or if I am simply previewing on my local system within SV Pro/ IE8. What I have discovered is that IE8 updated with an MS automatic update yesterday. I checked a few other computers here at work and the one's that did not run the Windows update were fine but those that had run the update were experiencing this error message within IE8. Just to confirm that this problem related to the latest Windows Update (XP Pro) I ran the update on a  "non updated" machine. Before the update no such error message, after the update error message. I run an e-commerce site and the image viewer is critical to my business so need a solution asap. Appreciate... all feedback.  mad

Re: Latest IE 8 Update - "Gallery XML Not Found"

Please post the URL to the gallery so that we can take a look.
In the meantime, make sure you are using the latest version of SimpleViewer-Pro (v2.1.3).
Please see here for details on 'Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro' if necessary: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … grade.html

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

URL is: http://www.archivemanagement.com.au/epa … 0System%22. I can confirm that I am using the latest version 2.1.3. Only bought the product in the last couple of weeks. The shopping cart I'm using is a popular off the shelf customisable system. I can't actually load the SV files directly into the site itself  (the shopping cart restricts this) but have set up a separate hosting account (through the same host company) and I point my path to the location on the other hosted account. However, without having changed a thing on my website in the past couple of weeks, yesterday it just stopped working under IE but happily working perfectly under Firefox / Chrome. I'm certain the issue is with the most recent MS updates for the reasons I detailed in my original post. I hope to fix the problem because I love SV Pro.

For what its worth, your gallery also displays OK in IE9 (with all recommended updates) on my computer.
I would first check the page for errors using the W3C Markup Validation Service and fix any errors reported. This is not likely to cause the 'Gallery XML Not Found.' message but is good practice and we can then rule out HTML errors.
I notice that your gallery is hosted on a different domain.
The URL to your gallery starts with http://www.archivemanagement.com.au/ and yet your baseURL starts with http://www.webelementsstore.com.au/
To see if this is a cross domain issue, try the following.
Open the gallery on its own in IE8 by going directly to http://www.webelementsstore.com.au/AMC/ … index.html in your browser. Does the gallery display OK?
If so, then you could perhaps replace your embedding code with the following:

<iframe src="http://www.webelementsstore.com.au/AMC/BinderGallery01/index.html" width="600" height="520" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Please see here for more information on cross domain issues: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … trouble_11

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven. Yep, I understand that my gallery is being hosted under a different domain, that is because the shopping cart system that I use (epages - being a fairly popular system offered by many hosting companies) does not permit me to copy the gallery into a directory within my primary domain.

That said, it was all working perfectly under all browsers until a couple of days ago. If I go directly to the gallery index.html on the host domain (webelementsstore.com.au....) it only shows me the thumbnails at first, with all of them displayed (not just the five across I selected in my SVPro configuration). There are also no initial navigation elements, no text overlays and the sizing of the full image is not correct.... basically none of the controls that SVPro generates seem to load.

The reason that I don't think the issue is with my site itself is because when I select PUBLISH then SAVE (with 'view in browser selected' tick box on), when i view the gallery locally on IE8 it gives the same results as if I had gone directly to the gallery host via my host site: webelementsstore.com.au/AMC etc.

For the reasons I mentioned in my initial posts, I have only experienced these problems (on my computer and others at my work) when installing the most recent MS XP updates a couple of days ago. Unfortunately IE8 is still probably the most popular browser out there and if there is a problem with it then I would assume that it would affect no only my gallery but others.

Steven, did you check out my gallery using IE8 with all current updates and did you experience the same problem? Very keen to find a fix because I intend to use the gallery extensively throughout multiple sites in the next couple of months. Thanks.

If I go directly to the gallery index.html on the host domain (webelementsstore.com.au....) it only shows me the thumbnails at first, with all of them displayed (not just the five across I selected in my SVPro configuration)

This sounds like the Mobile Player which suggests that Adobe FLash Player is either not installed or activated in your browser (or that the gallery has the useFlash Embed Code Parameter set to 'false' which forces the Mobile Player to be used).
Please see this FAQ for details.
However, this proves that the gallery itself works OK from your web server.

The reason that I don't think the issue is with my site itself is because when I select PUBLISH then SAVE (with 'view in browser selected' tick box on), when i view the gallery locally on IE8 it gives the same results as if I had gone directly to the gallery host via my host site

It seems very strange that a gallery created with svBuilder-Pro would, without any renaming or moving of any gallery files, give a 'Gallery XML Not Found.' message when the gallery's HTML index page is opened in IE8.
Perhaps other IE8 and SimpleViewer-Pro users can confirm this behavior.

I have IE9 installed and it is not possible to have IE8 installed alongside IE9.
I did, however, try your gallery in an 'IE8' tab using IETester but four Script Errors relating to your JavaScript files popped up (stmenu.js, steffie.js, steffrect.js and steffslip.js) and the gallery did not display at all.
I also pasted your page's URL into and IE8 window in IENetRenderer but received the error message: 'The URL contains illegal characters'.
Also, your web page fails to load using IE8 in Adobe Browser Lab.

Very keen to find a fix because I intend to use the gallery extensively throughout multiple sites in the next couple of months.

Make sure Adobe Flash Player is installed in your IE8 browser by visiting this page and try replacing your existing embedding code with the <iframe> code from my previous post.

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven! I just installed the most recent version of Flash Player (from version 10.1xx to 10.3.x) After installing I went back to my site and my gallery was working perfectly again. I did not need to replace my embed code with the <iFrame> code to fix the problem, though I might also do this as well just in case someone views my site with ie8 and not the most recent flash player installed. For the sake of completeness I will change the embed code and report back on this thread whether that also fixed the problem on earlier versions of Flash Player. Thank you very much, excellent support!