Topic: Aspect ratio on Thumbnails

None of my photos have the same dimensions. I would like my thumbnails to be a smaller version of the photo. Is this possible?

http://erikpoppkephotography.com/ep/showcase Thumbnails are currently turned off. This is the free version, but I plan to upgrade to the Pro version so that I can put more Galleries on. This is the Wordpress theme called Photcrati.

Re: Aspect ratio on Thumbnails

I would like my thumbnails to be a smaller version of the photo. Is this possible?

No. All thumbnails in a gallery must be the same size as each other (set by the thumbWidth and thumbHeight Pro Options).

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Is there any kind of work around for this? The guy I'm doing the page for insists that the thumbnails be the same dimensions as the actual photo. I've looked and about every gallery out there and none that I can find do this. I've tried to tell him, but he just keeps going back to it. I don't have the skills to write one from scratch.

No. There is no workaround. All thumbnails in a gallery must be the same size as each other.
Also, SimpleViewer-Pro does not come with modifiable source code so it is not possible to publish a new SWF file with your desired functionality. Please see this FAQ for details.

Steven Speirs

Thinking about it, you could perhaps create your own oversize thumbnails, square in shape, and have the entire image scaled to fit inside the square. You could make the remaining space inside the square (top and bottom for landscape images and left and right for portrait images) the same color as your gallery's background and disable the thumbnail frames (thumbFrameStyle="NONE") in order to disguise the fact that the thumbnails are all technically square.

Steven Speirs

I just found out how to do this easily with a Graphic Converter batch conversion. Choose the batch Make Square under Size/Crop/Scale in the batch list. Choose Crop to longest side and choose the margin color. You can process images in batches.

Jeff

Steven Speirs wrote:

Thinking about it, you could perhaps create your own oversize thumbnails, square in shape, and have the entire image scaled to fit inside the square. You could make the remaining space inside the square (top and bottom for landscape images and left and right for portrait images) the same color as your gallery's background and disable the thumbnail frames (thumbFrameStyle="NONE") in order to disguise the fact that the thumbnails are all technically square.