Topic: protecting galeries

hallo,
nothing new about protecting galeries in svmanager/simpleviewer pro ?
currently i cannot use svmanager for all galeries, public and private.
so i need to hide index page of svmanager,...

it would be nice to add htaccess... for each album

this was asked many times on this forum i think.

so we mix flowers, animals,...public galeries with family, friends, parties galeries on same index page and users must know the password to access to family album

best regards
marc

Re: protecting galeries

The problem is that if you set-up .htaccess protection then svManager will not be able to upload new pictures. The only way around it that I know of is to temporarily remove or rename the .htaccess file everytime you want to use svManager – not very convenient, I know!

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

hallo jack,
i am not expert but i am using theturninggate galeries and they now use htaccess... but with respect to svmanager we need to upload all things when we add only one image.
we can't win in all fields but can't you find a way to disable htaccess or equivalent during upload, re-enable it,...

from a user point it seems so obvious to mix albums private and other public ! for instance with flickr pro i can specify groups,...

the problem with svmanager is that there is a single page with all albums and anybody can see any album

best regards
marc

hallo,
if it is difficult for you to implement reliably the protection, perhaps we could imagine doing that manually.
i always hear about htaccess... but no idea if it is just a file to copy somewhere and that's it.

so, can you please explain how, ounce galery created in svmanager and uploaded, how to add protection and if we need to update, delete protection, upload and resend protection ?

best regards
marc

It's a little more complicated than just copying a file. And different servers do it different ways. To use .htaccess files you need to be on an Apache server and the server has to be set-up so you have permission to do it. Other servers have different ways to achieve password protection but I'm really only familiar with Apache which is the most common server.

The first thing to do is ask your web host how to do it. Many web hosts provide easy ways for their customers to set-up password protection, maybe as part of a control panel or some kind of web form. So I suggest you start by looking through their support documents or asking your web provider helpdesk how you can set up password protection on one of your directories.

If you get stuck with your web host and you want to do it yourself, then you'll need to read-up a bit on it. There are lots of tutorials on the web (for example http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess3.shtml ) or google authentication .htaccess or something similar.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

hallo,
just found :
http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/pr … ec=privacy

if this can give you some ideas...

this filmstrip Tim Arme gallery is intended for lightroom and uses publish service for updates so i suppose his plugin manages toggling on/off of protection

best regards
marc