Topic: gallery revisions and user preset changes

Q: Is there a way to edit an existing gallery, and save a new version of everything needed, except for the thumbnails? I prefer to crop thumbnails manually, so I can specify the portion of the image that appears in the thumbnail. Re-saving a revised gallery recreates thumbnails, which I have to replace manually. Regarding the main images, it would be nice to have the option to not create new ones, too.

Q: If I have multiple galleries created with a common user defined preset, and I later revise my preset, do I have to open all galleries, apply the revised preset and save new galleries? I'm a total neophyte with web design, but I'm just wondering if there is code created that is specific to the gallery preset style that can be easily transfer from one folder to another. For users with many galleries, or using lots of images/thumbnails, this could be a time saver.

BTW, I think SimpleViewer Pro v2 is great. I don't have the knowledge (or braincells) to do the code work that SV does for me. Its well worth the price of admissions, and Steve's support has been superlative (even BEFORE I bought the Pro version).

cheers,
Dave

Re: gallery revisions and user preset changes

Is there a way to edit an existing gallery, and save a new version of everything needed, except for the thumbnails?

If you are referring to svBuilder-Pro (which it sounds like you are), then the answer is 'No'. Thumbnails are generated each time a gallery is saved. You would need to swap the 'thumbs' folder as you are currently doing.
However, if you are creating your gallery by some other method, then you may be able to modify the plugin/script/template to not generate thumbnails.

If I have multiple galleries created with a common user defined preset, and I later revise my preset, do I have to open all galleries, apply the revised preset and save new galleries?

SimpleViewer has a Pro Option called presetURL which is set via a flashvar.
Please see the following links for more information on this option.
http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … .html#html
http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … ml#presets

Once a 'Preset' has been saved using svBuilder-Pro, the file can be used in multiple galleries. The settings in the 'Preset' XML file will override the gallery's own XML settings (if there are any duplicate entries).
The embedding code required to use a 'Preset' XML file in each of your galleries would look something like the following:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var flashvars={};
flashvars.presetURL="http://www.example.com/preset.xml";
simpleviewer.ready(function () {
simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true, flashvars);
});
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

You could then change the 'preset.xml' file (without having to edit any galleries) and all your galleries which point to the file via the presetURL flashvar will display the style changes.

Its well worth the price of admissions, and Steve's support has been superlative (even BEFORE I bought the Pro version).

Thank you!

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Re: gallery revisions and user preset changes

Hi Steve - Once again, you come through with answers to my questions.

Replacing the thumbnails manually isn't a big deal for me, but it occurred to me that it could be time consuming for someone with a lot of images and/or multiple galleries.

I will study the presetURL links, and let you know if I have further questions.

Thanks again for the great support and cool product.

cheers,
Dave