Topic: Having trouble ordering Flickr images

First off, great plugin. Thank you. I bought the Pro version.

I can't get the Flickr images to display in WP the way they are ordered in Flickr. Tried everything including uploading in the order I wanted, rearranging them, etc. They appear in the order I want on Flickr, but SimpleView does not display them in the same order. What am I missing?

Re: Having trouble ordering Flickr images

If you have upgraded WP-SimpleViewer to use SimpleViewer-Pro by following the instructions here, then you can use the flickrSort Pro Option in WP-SimpleViewer's 'Pro Options' text area in the gallery settings pop-up window, eg:

flickrSort="DATE-POSTED-DESC"

Please see the Flickr Options section of the 'SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options' page for further details.
Please note that the flickrSort option does not work for set and group searches which always use the Flickr set display order. To change the image order for a Flickr set, please check here.
Also, this FAQ may help.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Steven, thanks for the reply. I tried that, still nothing.

I have several galleries, each organized as a set. Then I have on tag assigned to each picture in each set (same tag per set). SimpleView calls the images by tag. That all works great.

The images in each set are organized in display order. Here is where the problem is. It never displays in order.

I tried adding the flickrSort options, even tried different ones, no luck.

I even tried loading images in the order I wanted (deleted a set and made a new one), still no luck.

I read that the options don't work when a Flickr set is in use. That seems to be true because when I change the options the order does not change. But shouldn't the Flickr order take precedence then?

Please post the URL to your gallery so that we can take a look.

Steven Speirs

http://dev.stpaisiusmonastery.org/about … -dwelleth/

The numbers on the bottom right represent picture order; a1, a2,a3...b1,b2,b3 and so forth. On the flickr site they are in order.

Thank you Steven.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that all images (as far as Flickr is concerned) were taken on September 20, 2011.
If you manually change the 'date taken' on one or two images (via Flickr's interface) and then try displaying the gallery with a sort order such as flickrSort="DATE-TAKEN-DESC", are the images whose date you have changed then shown together at the beginning of the gallery?

Steven Speirs

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Steven, that was it. I changed each image to a different day and it worked. Thanks for the suggestion. Thanks again for a great piece of software too.

I think it's ridiculous that the free version doesn't display the images in any logical order. Don't release a free version if you can't do something as simple as "display images in chronological order."  I mean you should feel ashamed.  Don't release a free version if you've hobbled it so badly.  Seriously, who would find this tool useful?  Who doesn't want to control something as basic and simple as the order in which your photos are displayed????  I'm not saying you should give away a quality product for free--I'm saying you shouldn't give away a crap product for free.  It's like you're saying "here you go, waste your time, folks! This one's crap and we don't care."  It shows a massive disrespect to your customers.  You've wasted my time and now I am not only going to uninstall your plugin, from my Wordpress install, but I'll never use your "pro" version either.  I'll also never recommend your products to others.  Imagine a word processor that wouldn't allow you to display your pages in number order.  "Sorry, you have to upgrade to the pro version in order to control something as 'high-end' as page order."  I don't care if it's free or not, you wouldn't find one.

@thepete

As stated in Step #4 of the section entitled 'Adding Images From WordPress Media Library' from this page:

Your uploaded images will show in the 'Add Media' -> 'Gallery' tab. Image order is determined by the order of the images as displayed in the list. To change the order, drag and drop the images. When done, click 'Save All Changes'.

If using Flickr as the source of images, please see this FAQ entitled 'How do I change the order of images from Flickr?'.

Steven Speirs