Topic: Can't get my gallery to show in my website

Hi There,

I'm not massively computer literate but know some basics to get by looking after my websites. I'm using Big Cartel as my host for one of my sites (nice and basic) But I wanted to get a gallery on there and went for your SimpleViewer. I made my gallery and put captions on, following all the steps correctly. But when I paste the code into my portfolio page...nothing! I have tried going to the Source Gallery and copying ALL the code into my web page but still nothing.

Everyone on here seems to have a http address to their gallery but mine keeps coming up as only on my computer under my user name on my desktop.

I'm working on an iMac if that makes a difference.

Also I must add that when the gallery opens in a browser it is as I want it. I just want it to go live to my website... so frustrated.

Can you help me please??

Sarah

Re: Can't get my gallery to show in my website

You need to upload your entire gallery folder to your web host's server with an FTP program such as Filezilla.
Your web host should be able to supply you with your FTP login details (FTP host name, username and password) which will enable you to login to your account and upload your gallery files to your web space.
Once the gallery is on the web server, users will be able to view the gallery by opening the gallery's HTML index page (via an http URL) in a browser.

For example, if you sign up with a web host called 'example.com', then they may assign you with a subdomain  such as 'yourname.example.com'.
The login details you would need to supply to Filezilla might look something like this:
Host: ftp.example.com
User: yourname
Password: (the password you used to sign up to 'example.com')

One logged in, you should be able to drag and drop your gallery folder into the root directory of your web space and your gallery's URL would become:
http://yourname.example.com/gallery_folder_name/index.html

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Is it my domain host? 123-reg or my Big Cartel (where my domain is forwarded to) that I need the login info from? I have emailed Big Cartel, but I've not heard back yet. And something must be up with 123-reg because I can't even get on to their website (pass hour I have been trying)

Sarah

I'm going insane! I have downloaded Filezilla and it wont connect to my 123-reg account. Saying it is being refused:

Status:    Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error:    Could not connect to server
Status:    Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error:    Could not connect to server

Big Cartel don't support FTP.

I absolutely do not know what to do.

I thought it was a simple copy and paste. Does everyone have to do this FTP thing? It's not mentioned in the blurb for the SimpleViewer. What am I doing so wrong?

Is it my domain host? 123-reg or my Big Cartel (where my domain is forwarded to) that I need the login info from?

It sounds like you have purchased a domnain name from 123-reg but that your files will be hosted with Big Cartel (if that is where your domain is forwarded to).
Therefore, you will need to upload your gallery to Big Cartel.
However, if I'm looking at the correct website, "Big Cartel is a simple shopping cart for artists." rather than a standard web host providing web space for you to upload your files.

Does everyone have to do this FTP thing?

A SimpleViewer gallery can be created and viewed locally on your own computer but the only way to allow others to see the gallery is to upload the files to a public web server. The easiest way to do this is via FTP.
If your web host does not allow FTP then your options may be to try one of the following:
(1) If you log into your hosting account (via your host's web page in your browser), your host may have a File Manager in the Control Panel which may allow you to upload the required gallery files
(2) Perhaps your host has a premium account option which does allow FTP (for a fee)
(3) There are other web hosts that do allow FTP access (even with their most basic free accounts)
Try a web search in order to find such hosts.

Steven Speirs

Hi,

Yes Big Cartel don't support FTP.

I do have another website: sarahroberts.co.uk which has FTP and I alter that every so often but I did have a web designer make that one. It is again with 123-reg but seems I don't have the file Manager with the one I have forwarded to Big Cartel. So, if I used one of the old ftp files that are not being used (and not live) in my sarahroberts website can paste the codes in there and link it or something from there? Other question of course, if it is possible, would be how do I link it etc.

I'm going to google suggestion number 3 now.

Sorry Im so rubbish.

Yes Big Cartel don't support FTP.

I don't have the file Manager with the one I have forwarded to Big Cartel

If Big Cartel do not support FTP and there is no file manager within their control panel, then there is no way to upload files to Big Cartel and, thus, it would not be a suitable hosting solution.

Your other website seems to be hosted by 123-reg and it should be possible for you to upload your gallery folder there via FTP.
If your gallery folder is named 'gallery' and you uploaded it to the root of your web space, then you could view the gallery by opening the following link in a browser:
http://sarahroberts.co.uk/gallery/index.html

This is the page that you should link to if you wish to redirect a user to your gallery from another HTML page.
The hyperlink code would look something like this:

<a href="http://sarahroberts.co.uk/gallery/index.html">Click to view gallery</a>
Steven Speirs