Topic: SimpleViewer, iWeb and Mobile devices

Hello

I have decided to go with SimpleViewer on my website and paid for SV Pro last night. You helped me a while ago when I was trying to set up Tiltviewer which is currently in use on me site. Thanks for that.

My Site is www.steveburrowsimages.com

If you look on the Portraits page I have set up a test button. This takes you to a separate new page I have set up for this. This doesn't seem to behave the way I expect it to. The buttons along the top are not working and it does not fit on the screen the way I want it to. I use iWeb to design my site. I had created a Blank page but kept the banner along the top. I wanted SV to fill the rest of the screen like your examples but keep the banner showing. Also, it does not work on my iPhone. It loads up but the images are too big and there are no thumbnails and again the buttons don't work.

In svBuilder, on the Publish tab, I clicked to save the index.html file and directed it into the folder for the "portraits viewer" folder. I then uploaded this to my ftp file. I then copied the Embed code into a snippet on the page I had created.

As you may be able to tell I am a novice when it comes to this, so please use simple language in your response.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by SteveBurrows (2011-09-27 16:35:01)

Re: SimpleViewer, iWeb and Mobile devices

The buttons along the top are not working

The buttons (Open Image, AutoPlay and FullScreen) on the Button Bar work fine in Firefox, IE9, Chrome and Safari on my computer.
If you have recently made any changes to your gallery, try clearing your browser's cache before reloading the gallery.

and it does not fit on the screen the way I want it to.

How would you like to see your gallery displayed in relation to the way it is actually displayed?

Also, it does not work on my iPhone. It loads up but the images are too big and there are no thumbnails and again the buttons don't work.

Having viewed your gallery on an iPod Touch, the grid of thumbnails are displayed initially by the Mobile Player but perhaps you are referring to the differences between the Flash Player and the Mobile Player. If so, please see this FAQ: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … trouble_14
The main images are truncated at the bottom, though. Try using an absolute pixel value for the height of your gallery rather than 100%.
In svBuilder-Pro, the gallery's height can be changed in the 'Customize -> Embed Options' section. Try changing the 'Gallery Height' from '100%' to '600', for example.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi - thanks for the quick response

1) I have reset Safari and my buttons don't work. I restarted the Mac as well - still no joy.
2) I'm going to dump the banner and have it appear as it does in svBuilder I think - Nice and big. How do I do that?
3) I'm confused about this - I'm changing things now

Last edited by SteveBurrows (2011-09-27 18:00:46)

I now have it looking as I want. No banner, just grey. I did this by making the wallpaper and background the same colour in iWeb. I then made the svBuilder background transparrent in Customize / Embed Options. It appears all as I want it to on my iMac. In svBuilder I had changed the gallery width and height to 1000. Previoously they were both 100%. However, on my MacBook the page is too big and you have to scroll up and down. I want it to scale for the size of the screen the viewer is using really. Is there a way to do that?

The viewer on my iPhone shows it fine if held upright, but not if held sideways (landscape). Any ideas?

But... No Back button and no navigation buttons along the top at all (not on either of my Mac's). If you click and drag across the screen (as if highlighting multiple items), there are two blocks overlapping each other. The only way I can explain this is that the nav bar is behind something and can't be clicked. Does that make sense?

Last edited by SteveBurrows (2011-09-27 19:14:57)

I'm going to dump the banner and have it appear as it does in svBuilder I think - Nice and big. How do I do that?

If you wish to do this, then there should be no need to embed the gallery within iWeb.
You could upload your entire gallery folder to your web host and simply link to your gallery's HTML index page from within another page. You could then return your gallery's dimensions to 100% x 100%.

Steven Speirs

sorry

1) how do i do this?

2) Will this resolve the button issue?

Last edited by SteveBurrows (2011-09-27 20:04:13)

In order to view the gallery on its own as it was created straight out of svBuilder, you should link to the gallery's HTML index page directly, which currently happens to be: http://www.steveburrowsimages.com/Portr … arkup.html

The page: http://www.steveburrowsimages.com/Portrait_Viewer.html
... is an iWeb generated page which contains rather a lot of code to simply insert the gallery's HTML index page (into an otherwise empty page) via a JavaScript widget.

The direct route (bypassing the iWeb code which is unnecessary as there is nothing else on the page) is to link to the gallery at: http://www.steveburrowsimages.com/Portr … arkup.html

2) Will this resolve the button issue?

Yes. There should be no issues when linking directly to a gallery's HTML index page, when the gallery has been created by svBuilder-Pro and there are no other factors to consider (such as embedding via iWeb).
Try viewing the sample gallery here to see if the buttons work in your browser: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/examples/modern/

Steven Speirs

i think i follow you. just create a hyper link to it and turn the background back on. also, get rid of the iweb page? i need this in newbie language i'm afraid.

it's url is a bit long winded and un-pretty as well. can this be changed?

steve

just create a hyper link to it and turn the background back on.

Yes.

also, get rid of the iweb page?

Yes, also. It is unnecessary as there is nothing else on the page.

it's url is a bit long winded and un-pretty as well. can this be changed?

Yes. If you have FTP access to your web host, you could upload your gallery folder anywhere within your web space using an FTP program such as Filezilla.
If your gallery folder is named 'gallery' and you uploaded the gallery folder to the root of your web space, then the gallery's URL would become: http://www.steveburrowsimages.com/gallery/index.html
(As long as the gallery's HTML index page is named 'index.html', then you could omit 'index.html' from the URL. See here for details.)

Steven Speirs

thanks!!

its like a light's been switched on here! lol

one last thing...

the page isn't very central on the screen. can i adjust this? how?

Your gallery should center itself when you change the dimensions back to 100% x 100% (from 1000px x 1000px).

Steven Speirs

thanks

great help there! especially for a novice like me

Steve

Just noticed another point.

The Page that opens when clicking on the link (this is now the "gallery" button over on the right) seems to have a narrow white border round it. Can I get rid of this? And, can I make the images slightly smaller? The images load just slightly too large now.

The Page that opens when clicking on the link (this is now the "gallery" button over on the right) seems to have a narrow white border round it. Can I get rid of this?

The gallery's HTML index page is not exactly as it comes from svBuilder. It has some extra code for Google Analytics and StatCounter. I believe the StatCounter code may be causing this by inserting a new <div> into the page.
Try removing the StatCounter code from the page to see if this helps.

And, can I make the images slightly smaller?

Try using the options maxImageWidth and maxImageHeight in your gallery's XML file and set their values to lower than the actual dimensions of your main images.
Descriptions of these options can be found in the 'Standard Options' section of the 'SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options' page: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … l#standard

Steven Speirs

Thanks

I looked at the index.html file and i can see a couple of entries in relation to statcounter. What do I do? Do I just delete it? If I do, will the software that put it there try to put it back every time I use svBuilder?

Also, I looked for the maximageheight & maximagewidth lines in the gallery.xml file and can't see them there at all. I read your link and I think it is saying (and also you are saying) to add the lines in. Is this the case? Again, every time I use svBuilder, will it try to replace the file with a file that does not contain these lines?

The example gallery.xml file on the link looks nothing at all like my version at all.

I looked at the index.html file and i can see a couple of entries in relation to statcounter. What do I do? Do I just delete it?

I was suggesting you delete the code to see if it is responsible for the white border around the gallery.
I have since downloaded your HTML file for testing purposes and have found that it is, indeed, the case.
To resolve the issue, you could either:
(1) Delete the StatCounter code, or...
(2) Leave the codde as it is and add the following code to the <head> section of the page:

<style type="text/css">
body, html, #sv-container {
    height: 100%;
    width: 100%;
}
</style>

If I do, will the software that put it there try to put it back every time I use svBuilder?

I do not know what software is injecting the code into the page but it is not svBuilder.

Also, I looked for the maximageheight & maximagewidth lines in the gallery.xml file and can't see them there at all. I read your link and I think it is saying (and also you are saying) to add the lines in. Is this the case?

Yes. You could add the lines to the opening <simpleviewergallery> tag in your gallery's XML file.

Again, every time I use svBuilder, will it try to replace the file with a file that does not contain these lines?

svBuilder will automatically add these lines if resizing images or when editing a gallery which already has these lines present.

Steven Speirs