Topic: Gallery XML Not Found

Steven Speirs wrote:

After creating a gallery, check in the uploads folder to see if the corresponding [gallery_id].xml file is in there to establish whether the xml file is not being created at all or simply not being found when loading the gallery.

I'm having the same problem "Gallery XML Not Found". The xml file is indeed being created, but simply not being found when loading the gallery. What's the solution for this?

I should add that my image source is a Wordpress Library, not Flickr.

Last edited by jakester (2011-10-20 21:21:20)

Re: Gallery XML Not Found

Check that all the WP-SimpleViewer Requirements are met.
If you continue to experience difficulties, please post the URL to your gallery so that we can take a look.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I have double checked that all the WP-SimpleViewer Requirements are met. All are except "the /wp-content/uploads/ folder must have full access permissions (777)". Mine is set at 755. However, the xml file is in that directory, so simple viewer had no problem uploading/writing to that folder, so I don't see this requirement as a problem - unless I'm missing something.

Per Wordpress:
"No directories should ever be given 777, even upload directories. Since the php process is running as the owner of the files, it gets the owners permissions and can write to even a 755 directory."

My gallery is here:
http://jakedouville.com/sara&jake/photobooth

edit: Even when I change the permissions to 777, I still get "Gallery XML not found"

Last edited by jakester (2011-10-20 21:56:48)

There is a chance that the '&' character in the galleryURL is causing the problem.
You could test this theory by creating a WP-SimpleViewer gallery on your web server whose URL contains only alpha-numeric characters.

Steven Speirs

It looks like that's the problem. A test gallery worked fine at a URL without the "&" symbol. I also noticed the the xml file in question had all the Image URL's with "&" (note the extra amp;) instead of just "&". I tried deleting the extra "amp;"'s in all the URL's and re-uploading the xml file, but it didn't solve the problem. Any ideas or thoughts? Is there a way I can get this to work?

Last edited by jakester (2011-10-20 22:27:18)

As you have found a bug which affects both SimpleViewer and WP-SimpleViewer individually, it would be safer to use only alpha-numeric characters for URLs reserving the ampersand for separating fragments of query strings such as in the following example:
http://www.example.com/index.html?id=1&photo=2
I have logged bug reports for both issues. Thank you for finding and reporting them.

Steven Speirs