Topic: Can caption be set to stick to images?

Hi,

Quick question.

Example gallery:

maxImageWidth="1024"
maxImageHeight="1024"
floatCaption="FALSE"
captionFontSize="13"
captionPosition="TOP"

The gallery contains various photos in both "portrait" and "landscape" orientation; for "landscape" oriented photos, the caption is way above the actual photo. 

Is there a way to get the caption to stick to the top (or bottom)  of each photo, regardless of its actual height or orientation?

Thanks!

Re: Can caption be set to stick to images?

Using the available configuration options, it is not possible to have the caption line up with the left-hand edge of each main image outside the image.
However, you could use captionPosition="OVERLAY_TOP" or captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM" in conjunction with showOverlay="ALWAYS" in order for the caption to line up with the left-hand edge of each main image inside the image and always be displayed without the need to hover over the image.
You could also try using the above suggestion in conjunction with a negative value for captionPadding, though this will move the caption in both the x and y dimensions by the allotted pixel value so the caption will not line up with the left-hand edge of the main image but will be the same distance away from the left-hand edge no matter what orientation the image is. Also, please bear in mind that SimpleViewer was not designed with this usage (ie. negative values for options) in mind.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks for the reply.

I may not have been clear: I want the caption to stay a relative distance from the top of the image, regardless of the varrying image heights.  Left alignment is not a concern.

I think the answer is the same regarding negative values, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

You could try my suggestion above but, alternatively, instead of trying to realign the caption, you could justify the image to the left margin of the image area by using imageHAlign="LEFT". In doing so, the left-hand edge of each main image will always be in the same place (as will the caption).
You could also use the imageVAlign option to ensure that a corner (rather than just an edge) of each main image is always in the same place.
Descriptions of these options can be found in the Main Image section of the 'SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options' page.

Steven Speirs

I think the answer is still, "no," but I may not be making myself 100% clear.

Let's say I have 2 images.  My caption is set to "TOP."  Images are centered H and V.

Image one has a height of 800px and the gallery is set to max height "800." The caption sits perfectly at the top of the image.

Image two has a height of 600px.  This leaves 100px above the image, below the caption.

Is there a way to configure SimpleViewer to display the caption relative to the distance from the top of the image--if the images are centered?  This would mean that regardless of an image's height, the caption would always be a relative distance from the top of the image.

Thanks.

Here's an example of my current config:

http://www.newperspectivefilms.com/phot … /landscape

It's only a small issue concerning the caption distance from the top of the image (specifically in fullscreen).  Otherwise, I'm loving the product!

thanks

Is there a way to configure SimpleViewer to display the caption relative to the distance from the top of the image--if the images are centered?

This can be achieved by implementing my initial suggestion of setting captionPosition="OVERLAY_TOP" or captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM" in conjunction with showOverlay="ALWAYS" and using a negative value for captionPadding.

Steven Speirs

To 'stick' the caption to the bottom of the image, try these config option settings:

captionPosition="BOTTOM"
lockBottomStack="false"

Felix Turner

To 'stick' the caption to the bottom of the image, try these config option settings:

captionPosition="BOTTOM"
lockBottomStack="false"

That did it, thanks!

Using a negative value with the overlay worked, but indeed, also made the caption extend negatively along the X axis..

Thanks again!

http://www.newperspectivefilms.com/phot … pe-places/