Topic: unstable safari/mobile view

hi stephen:

please take a look at http://book.ivo-welch.info/ed2/sv/index.html on an ipad, running the iOS5, latest version.  after the original display shows up, hit a few buttons (such as page forward) and do so repeatedly.  this is not unusual for users to do, simply because the updating is slow and users may not be certain that it was updated.  this crashes safari.

I have similar instability in other iOS browsers, such as iCab Mobile.

now, on some level, this is *not* SV's bug.  the fact that the browser crashes means that there is a bug in the browser, not a bug in a web page.  a browser should never crash.  however, because the main purpose of sv mobile is to work under mobile OS's such as iOS, it renders sv useless in this context.  I wonder if you can do something that pushes safari less and thereby avoids the crash bug.

regards,

/iaw

Re: unstable safari/mobile view

For a Flash gallery containing 731 images (as yours does) I would recommend:
(1) Ensuring that imagePreloading is set to 'PAGE', 'NEXT' or 'NONE' (rather than 'ALL')
(2) Use dedicated thumbURL entries in your gallery's XML file so that the imageURL entries are not used for both the thumbnails and the main images
However, neither of these options will affect the Mobile Player.
A workaround may be to spilt your gallery up into smaller sub-galleries each with less images in them.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

hi stephen---thank you for the hints.  I did not set imagePreloading, so presumably it defaulted to "PAGE" on the non-mobile version.   I also actually (try to) suppress the thumbs with thumbPosition="NONE".  In the non-mobile version, this works well.  in the mobile, as you point out, it seems to be ignored.

would it make sense to add an option for thumbs="OFF"' ?  maybe this is easier to work with on the mobile version, too.

thanks for the workaround hints.  this would be painful to split a book, so I will just not use sv for now.  I hope that the next sv iteration will increase its mobile intelligence a little, so that imagePreloading and thumb suppression work.  that way, large galleries will probably work again on iOS without crashing the browser.

great program, steven.

regards,

/iaw

would it make sense to add an option for thumbs="OFF"' ?  maybe this is easier to work with on the mobile version, too.

Yes. You could instruct the gallery to not initially display a page of thumbnails and, instead, initially display the first image in the gallery by settings mobileShowThumbs="FALSE" in your gallery's XML file.
The available SimpleViewer-Pro Mobile Player Options can be found here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … tml#mobile
To change the initial image from the first one in the gallery to any other, use the firstImageIndex option. (Please note that the index starts at 0 for the first image in the gallery.)

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.