Topic: "Flickr User Not Found" error message.

Hi folks.  Have a weird one.

Using latest version of SimpleViewer.

I have 2 FLICKR accounts that I use.

One:  the_core -->  works!

Two:  HitmenBoosterClub --> User not Found.

Both are pro accounts.
HitmenBoosterClub was created using a GOOGLE account, NOT Yahoo.

Does this make any difference?

The URL to my HitmenBoosterClub photostream is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68234614@N02/

And I've used the "Get your user name" link at http://www.adamwlewis.com/articles/what-is-my-flickr-id to verify my user id is correct.

I can change the FlickrUserName in the gallery.xml to "the_core" and it works.  I flip it to "HitmenBoosterClub" and I get "User Not Found".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: "Flickr User Not Found" error message.

As your Flickr account is quite new, perhaps your Flickr User Name has not yet propagated through their system to allow it to be found in API searches (such as performed by SimpleViewer to retrieve your images).
In the meantime, try using flickrUserId="68234614@N02" instead of flickrUserName="HitmenBoosterClub".

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven.  No dice.  When I replace flickrUserName with my flickrUserId, now get photos showing up, but they're just any old photos from FLICKR, not mine.

When I ADD the flickrUserName="HitmenBoosterClub" back into the gallery.xml AFTER the flickrUserId, I get "Flickr User Not Found" again.

All I want to do is display the photostream from the HitmenBoosterClub.  Really simple.  This shouldn't be this hard.

Any other ideas?  Is it because this account is registered through Google and not Yahoo/Flickr?

Is it because this account is registered through Google and not Yahoo/Flickr?

I cannot be certain but I would doubt that this is the cause of the problem.

When I replace flickrUserName with my flickrUserId, now get photos showing up, but they're just any old photos from FLICKR, not mine.

When I use the following as a gallery's XML file, the gallery displays your 'HitmenBoosterClub' photostream.

<simpleviewergallery useFlickr="true" flickrUserId="68234614@N02" />

If this does not work for you, please post the URL to your gallery so that we can take a look.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven.  I tried that as well....didn't work.

However, I found the cause....GOOGLE IS STUPID!!  smile

My FLICKR account was authenticated using a Google Account, not a Yahoo id.

The Google Account was created with a birthday that made it appear to be less than 18 years old.

FLICKR has a nasty little policy of disabling the "Hide your profile from public searches" option in the Privacy settings if the account you use to login to FLICKR has a birthdate that makes you less than 18 years old.

This option is what controls the searchability from 3rd party products like yours which use the search API to find an account by name.

Google doesn't allow you to change the birthday on your account once you've created it, and we are using it for all sorts of stuff already, so we cannot easily delete / recreate the account with a different birthday.

Here's the solution that I found.

1. Created a new Yahoo Id, setting the age to something older than 18 years old.

2. Using www.flickr.com/account/transfer/ I transferred my FLICKR account from my old GOOGLE account to the new Yahoo account (which has the proper birthday).

3. Once the transfer was complete, I could then see the "Hide your profile from public searches" option in my Privacy settings, and I switched it to NOT HIDE me from searches.

Anyways, that was the solution for me.  Kinda sucks though.

Last edited by corey_hallisey (2011-10-31 02:40:24)

Thank for you posting back and sharing your solution.

Steven Speirs

Same problem, but none of the actions listed already seem to have any effect.
Using svBuilder 2.3.0, trying to connect to a Flickr photostream for:

Flickr user name: dawnblairjewelry
Tag: webjewelry

I always get the "Flickr User Not Found" error message. I can't get beyond this step to build the gallery.

Do I need to buy the Pro version to use this feature?

UPDATE:
Maybe I missed it first time through the comments, but here's a change I made to the Flickr account, now I'm not getting the "Flickr User Not Found" error:

1. In Your Flickr account, go to: You > Your Account > Privacy & Permissions > Hide your profile from public searches
2. Click edit
3. Uncheck all 3 boxes, especially these 2:
    Hide your photos from searches on 3rd party sites that use the API, including Yahoo! Image Search?
    Hide me from site-wide searches on flickr.com and on 3rd party sites that use the API?
4. Click Save

Last edited by fdmundo (2012-10-01 04:24:18)