Topic: Gallery works for some users others get "gallery xml not found" error

Here's an example. This link:
http://brianwolfey.com/clients/family/2 … deshow.php

Displays for me at home PC, work PC, on a coworker's machine and my wife's mac. Browsers used with success are Chrome, Firefox, and IE 7 (barf, I know).

I've gotten several reports on multiple galleries (including the one above) that all the user sees is the "gallery xml not found". When I get these errors on my machine it's always a path problem that I can resolve in the HTML or galley.xml files. This problem persists for others even after I advise them to empty their cache.

The local folder hierarchy can be sen here:
http://brianwolfey.com/clients/family/2011/Liby/
If that doesn't work, I've tried to illustrate it below with "Liby" being the parent folder:

Liby
>slideshow.php
>/slideshow (this means it's a folder)
>>/photos
>>/svcore
>>/thumbnails
>/autoindex.xml
>/gallery.xml
>/index.html
>/simpleviewer.swf
>/swfobject.js

One of the modifications I've done to the gallery.xml is to change the linkURL so that it points to the photo folder inside the slideshow folder. Images weren't opening when the "open image in new window" button was pressed. I've added "/slideshow" as you'll see at the bottom of the gallery.xml snippet below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<simpleviewerGallery title="Simpleviewer Gallery"
    maxImageWidth="1024"
    maxImageHeight="1024"
    useFlickr="false"
    imagePath="photos/"
    thumbPath="thumbnails/"
    resizeOnImport="true"
    cropToFit="false"
    galleryStyle="MODERN"
    thumbPosition="BOTTOM"
    textColor="0xFFFFFF"
    frameColor="0xFFFFFF"
    thumbColumns="10"
    thumbRows="3"
    frameWidth="1"
    showOpenButton="true"
    showFullscreenButton="true"
    languageCode="AUTO"
    imageDropShadow="false"
    imagePreloading="PAGE"
    captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM"
    autoPlayOnLoad="true"
    goNextOnAutoPlay="true"
    titlePosition="NONE"
    showAutoPlayButton="true"
    showDownloadButton="false"
    imageFrameStyle="ROUNDED"
    thumbFrameWidth="1"
    thumbHoverFrameWidth="6"

>
  <image imageURL="photos/Liby_Family_1_1.jpg"
    thumbURL="thumbnails/Liby_Family_1_1.jpg"
    linkURL="slideshow/photos/Liby_Family_1_1.jpg"
    linkTarget="_blank">
    <caption><![CDATA[Liby_Family-1-1]]></caption>
  </image>

Again, this works fine for me. I have no idea why it wouldn't be working for others.  sad

Re: Gallery works for some users others get "gallery xml not found" error

I notice that your gallery uses SimpleViewer v2.1.2.
Try upgrading to the latest version (v2.2.0) since several bugs have been fixed since v2.1.2.
Please see the 'SimpleViewer Version History' for details: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/history.html
Please also see the 'Upgrading Exisiting Galleries to Version 2.2.0' section of the 'Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro' page: Upgrading Exisiting Galleries to Version 2.2.0
This may well fix the problem you have been experiencing with the 'Open Image' button.

With regard to some users being able to view the gallery and others not, it should be consistent.
Can you be sure that those who cannot view the gallery have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed and that they really have completely cleared their browser's caches?
Is there a pattern forming with those who cannot view your gallery and get the 'Gallery XML Not Found' message (what OS and browsers are they using)?

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.