1 (edited by Heywood Floyd 2011-12-11 12:07:51)

Topic: xml data extraction from gallery.xml

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum although I've been using Simpleviewer for a few years now. I also started using Tiltviewer recently.

My question applies to both viewers:
Is it possible to extract some data from the gallery.xml file, to use in a different context within the website the gallery is integrated to?

I mean, for example, I have a gallery in a <div>, with captions for each picture, but I want to present the images' captions out of the gallery's <div> when the visitor opens the images. Is it possible in the free version, reserved to the Pro version, or not possible at all?

Thanks in advance.

Re: xml data extraction from gallery.xml

You can find the caption of the current image being displayed using the SimpleViewer-Pro API: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … t/api.html
Please note that this will work only with SimpleViewer-Pro (not SimpleViewer-Standard).
You could listen for the svImageChange event to be fired in order to discover when a new image is being displayed and, when it is, use the getImageInfo() method to discover the caption of the image.
Here is sample code (a modified version of the 'javascript_api.html' file found in the SimpleViewer-Pro download package) that will display (in a JavaScript alert box) the caption of the current image as it is being displayed in the gallery:

<script type="text/javascript">

var svAPI;

function svComplete() {
        svAPI = document.getElementById('svInstance');        
    }

function getCurrentCaption(index) {
        var imageInfo = svAPI.getImageInfo(index);
        var currentCaption = imageInfo.caption;
        return currentCaption;
    }

function svImageChange(index){
        alert(getCurrentCaption(index));
    }

var flashvars = {};
    flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery.xml";
    flashvars.enableAPI = "true";

var params = {};            
    params.allowfullscreen = true;
    params.allowscriptaccess = "always";
    params.bgcolor = "222222";

var attributes = {};
    attributes.id =  "svInstance"; 
    attributes.name = "svInstance";

swfobject.embedSWF("simpleviewer.swf", "flashContent", "800", "700", "9.0.124", false, flashvars, params,attributes);

</script>

There is no equivalent API for TiltViewer/TiltViewer-Pro.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

Re: xml data extraction from gallery.xml

Thank you very much for your reply, which is very clear, Steven.