Topic: Gallery works offline, but neither in IE nor Firefox

Hello,

my gallery works fine offline, but uploaded it doesn't show up (neither in IE nor Firefox). Firefox lists the following errors:
- root is undefined
- simplewiewer.ready is not a function

I also tried replacing all paths with absoulte paths, I contacted my host and they don't use hotlink protection, I tried uploading (binary) with Filezilla and CuteFTP, so really don't know what else to do. The test gallery's URL is:
http://www.erwin-r.com/fotosneu/index.html

Do you have any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks in advance!

Re: Gallery works offline, but neither in IE nor Firefox

Your gallery displays OK in Firefox 9.0.1 and IE9 on my PC (Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55).
Make sure that your browsers and Adobe Flash Player are up to date.
You can check that Adobe Flash Player is installed and enabled (and what version you have installed) by visiting this page in each of your browsers: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html
Please note that Firefox requires a different Adobe Flash Player installation to Internet Explorer.
Also make sure that JavaScript and Adobe Flash Player are both enabled in your browsers.
If you have made any changes to your gallery, try clearing your browser's cache before reloading the gallery.

I notice that your gallery uses SimpleViewer v2.1.3. You could also update your gallery to the latest version (v2.2.0) as several bugs have been fixed since v2.1.3.
Please see this page for information on 'Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro': http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … grade.html

For others who are experiencing a similar scenario, please see this FAQ entitled 'My images show locally, but not when I upload them to my webserver.': http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … #trouble_2

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven,

that's what I call a quick answer, thanks!

I updated Flash player, my configuation: IE 8.0.6 something, Firefox 9.0.1, Flash player 11.1.102.55. java script is enabled, cache emptied. But it's still just a blank tab that opens when I go to my gallery. And as I mentioned, it always loaded offline.

I also tried around with the settins of Firefox and IE, no result. Strange thing.

Sorry to annoy you, but have you got any more ideas?

p.s. also flash player is enabled, the test on Adobe's site works...

Your gallery also displays OK on Chrome 16 and Safari 5.1.1 on my PC and in Mobile Safari on my iPod Touch iOS 5.0.1.

If you have any extensions/add-ons enabled in your browsers, try temporarily disabling them all.
If the gallery then displays OK, enable the extensions/add-ons one by one until you find the cause of the problem.

Also, you could try updating your gallery to v2.2.0 as I suggested above.

Steven Speirs

Hello Steven,

thanks for checking out the different browsers. 

Also after disabling all extensions and add-ons, I couldn't view the gallery.  I sent a link to different people: some can see it, some not. And it doesn't seem to be up to the versions of browsers/plugins they use. I'll try to do some furher investigation and will also try to upgrade svbuilder. Don't you think the error messages
- root is undefined
- simplewiewer.ready is not a function
could tell us something about the problem?

The error messages may be JavaScript/jQuery related but SimpleViewer is bundled with its own version of jQuery, you have no other JavaScript on your page (so no chance of any conflict) and you say that JavaScript is enabled in your browser so the gallery should display OK.
Try rebuilding your gallery (or upgrading the existing gallery) with the latest version of SimpleViewer (v2.2.0) to see if that helps.

Steven Speirs

I tried the newest Simple Viewer version, same result.

Interesting: I cannot open your sample galleries (for example http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … s/colors/) . But I can open http://designedbreakdown.com/essays/hudson/index.html

Thought: *Some* machines can display my gallery. And my machine can display *some* sv galleries - so it seems there is at least one variable that keeps sv galleries from working on certain machines... Any idea?

Last edited by Rick (2012-01-08 12:43:45)

Are you able to view the 'Colors' sample gallery in any of your browsers?
If possible, try other browsers such as Google Chrome and Apple Safari also.
Even if there is a problem with Adobe Flash Player, the gallery should be displayed using the Mobile Player.
As well as disabling all add-ons, try disabling the Adobe Flash Player plugin to try to force the gallery into Mobile Player mode.

Steven Speirs

I tried the 'Colors' sample on Safari, I tried it on FF&IE with disabled Flash player, no result.

When trying to view the 'Colors' sample gallery, if you view the source of the page ('Tools -> Web Developer -> Page Source'), do you see the HTML code or nothing at all?
Perhaps something else on your computer is preventing the gallery from being displayed (firewall, anti-virus).

Steven Speirs

i can view the html source text. already tried with disabled virus protection and no firewall, doesn't help.

Last edited by Rick (2012-01-08 22:48:53)

I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas. I do not know why you are unable to view certain galleries (including the demo galleries on our web server) but able to view others, especially as both the 'Colors' demo and the gallery whose link you posted (and can view successfully) are both SimpleViewer-Pro v2.2.0. If I can think of anything else, I will be sure to post back.

Steven Speirs