Topic: Is HTML5 player formally supported on PC/Mac browsers?

I can see that after disabling Flash-plugin in my Safari/Firefox/Chrome/Opera, the Simpleviewer galleries still run fine, in HTML5 playback mode. Which is very good information of course. Is this normally supported behaviour? I mean, when defining technical requirements for my galleries can I name a HTML5-support and JS-enabled as one of "legal" options, beside Flash-installed and JS-enabled?

Additionally, I replaced the generic embed-code of current SV:

<body>
    <!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
    <script …
    </script>
    <div id="sv-container"></div>
    <!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
</body>

with a more customized no-JS error-handling:

<body>
    <!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
    <script …
    </script>
    <div id="sv-container">
        <noscript><div id="no_js">
            SimpleViewer gallery requires JavaScript enabled and Flash Player installed.<br>
            On mobile iOS and Android devices Javascript enabled will suffice.
        </div></noscript>
    </div>
    <!--END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->
</body>

div#no_js is styled in my CSS file. Do you think this noscript is OK and up to current state of XHTML and stuff?

Of course, if HTML5 playback is normally supported on modern browsers on Mac/PC then I will make the Flash requirement as optional, in my noscript handler.

Re: Is HTML5 player formally supported on PC/Mac browsers?

Is HTML5 player formally supported on PC/Mac browsers?

Yes. Please see here for details: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … #universal
The Mobile Player works in Firefox, IE9, Chrome and Safari on Mac/PC and on mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads and Android devices.

The <noscript> tags are not required. All that would be required to display your message in a browser with JavaScript disabled would be:

<div id="sv-container">
SimpleViewer gallery requires JavaScript enabled and Flash Player installed.<br>
On mobile iOS and Android devices Javascript enabled will suffice.
</div>

If you are ever in any doubt as to whether your code is OK, you can validate your page with the W3C Markup Validation Service.
Any errors on the page will be reported.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.