Topic: manually adding a swf to xml file

I have read that one can add a swf file to the gallery.xml file to be used as a background image, but can one add a swf to the gallery in lieu of images?

I tried to add a swf to the gallery.xml file but received an error "cannot parse gallery xml".  I know this is in reference to the swf I tried to add. If simpleviewer pro support swf files, what is the proper why to code this in the gallery. xml file?

<image imageURL="images/inspect.swf"
    thumbURL="thumbs/inspect.png"
    linkURL="images/inspect.png
    linkTarget="_blank">
   <caption><![CDATA[]]></caption>
</image>

Re: manually adding a swf to xml file

Please see this FAQ regarding support of SWF files: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … #general_1

With regard to the 'Cannot Parse Gallery XML' message, this is likely to be unrelated to having a relative path to a SWF file as an imageURL. Try opening the XML file directly in Firefox and the browser will tell you if and at what point in the file the parsing error occurs.
The 'Cannot Parse Gallery XML' message will also be displayed if you have a duplicate configuration option in the XML file so check for duplicate entries.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you for the reply.

I have read that particular faq about swf files many times, but I have not gleaned any additional insight from it.  I does not instruct one how to appropriately add a swf file to the gallery.xml file, nor does it offer any trouble shooting techniques. 

I have opened the xml file in a browser and it indicated that the relative path to the linkURL was the culprit. I have deleted it from the gallery and now the gallery shows in a browser, but the swf does not operate at all.

I know that SimpleViewer is limited with regards to playing swf files, especially those that have certain action script, but mine does not have any action script aside from the general "stop:()" action.  Is that enough to make a swf inoperable?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I does not instruct one how to appropriately add a swf file to the gallery.xml file

In order to add a SWF file to the list of images to be displayed, you would simply adjust the imageURL to point to the SWF file as you have done (leaving the thumbURL pointing to a corresponding thumbnail image).
Doing this alone should not cause a 'Cannot Parse XML Message'.
If you continue to experience difficulties with such a message, please post the URL to your gallery so that we can take a look and hopefully help further.

Is that enough to make a swf inoperable?

With support for SWF files being limited, trial and error may be your best best. Try it and see if it works.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.