Topic: Alignment Questions

I haven't worked on my site in several months (since early October). My customer called me this morning and told there were issues so revisited it. My main page has some issued and I ended up re-doing that SimpleViewer. I have the Pro version, but the branding is showing up. I checked WordPress and it didn't say there was an update, so am assuming I've got what I'm supposed to have for Wordpress.

I'm using the Photocrati WordPress theme, which are both updated to the latest versions.

Here's the site: http://erikpoppkephotography.com/ep/showcase
and here are the problems I'm having:

• I want the "Open in New Window" and "Go Full Screen buttons at the bottom or floated over the image because I want to shrink the space above the photos to as small as possible.

• I want the caption to be centered under the photo or overlayed at the bottom of the photo and the text be larger. I cannot use the COMPACT gallery because none of the photos is standard size and my customer doesn't want anything cropped.

• I want 1px borders around my thumbnails and the current thumbnail to have a different color instead of a fatter border. If I have to have the fatter border, then I want it to not be as fat as it is.

• I would like it if all of my photos lined up with the top edge of my thumbnails regardless of whether they are panoramas or portraits, but this is way down the list of things I need to get fixed.

I've monkeyed with this one page for about 4 hours and don't seem to be making much progress. I am deleteing my history, caches, etc... on each refresh, so this is not the problem.

I'm making small changes to the XML and uploading to the server manually. Here's the top part of my xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<simpleviewergallery
        galleryWidth="100%"
        maxImageWidth="1024"
        maxImageHeight="600"
        imageScaleMode="SCALE_UP"
        imageSmoothing="TRUE"
        galleryStyle="MODERN"

textColor="#ffffff"
        frameColor="#ffffff"
        imageQuality="85"
        useFlickr="false"
        resizeOnImport="true"
        cropToFit="false"
        backgroundColor="#000000"
        backgroundTransparent="true"
        frameWidth="1"
        thumbPosition="LEFT"
        thumbVAlign="TOP"
        thumbColumns="2"
        thumbRows="5"

stageBorder="0"
        stageHPadding="0"
        stageVPadding="0"
        stageVAlign="TOP"

enableLooping="true"
        dropShadowStrength="0"
        imageFrameStyle="SQUARE"
        imageDropShadow="false"
        imageVAlign="TOP"

thumbWidth="100"
        thumbHeight="100"
        thumbQuality="90"
        thumbPadding="1"
        thumbFrameWidth="1"
        thumbHoverFrameWidth="1"
        thumbClickShift="1"
        thumbFrameStyle="SQUARE"
        thumbFrameHoverColor="#CCCC00"
        thumbNavStyle="CIRCLE"
        thumbNavPosition="CENTER"
        thumbNavHoverColor="#CCCC00"
        thumbNavPadding="6"

buttonBarPosition="OVERLAY"
        buttonBarPadding="1"
        floatButtonBar="TRUE"
        buttonBarHAlign="RIGHT"
        buttonBarVAlign="BOTTOM"

showImageNumber="FALSE"
        showBackButton="FALSE"
        showOverlay="HOVER"
        showImageNav="HOVER"
        showDownloadButton="FALSE"

titlePosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM"
        titleFontName="Helvetica, Arial,_sans"
        titleFontColor="#FFFFFF"
        titleFontSize="24"
        floatTitle="TRUE"
        titleTextAlignment="CENTER"

captionPosition="CENTER"
        captionFontName="Helvetica,Arial,_sans"
        captionFontColor="#FFFFFF"
        captionFontSize="20"
        captionPadding="5"
        captionTextAlignment="CENTER"
        captionBackColor="#000000"
        captionBackOpacity="1"
        captionWidth="200"
        captionHeight="120"
        captionDropShadow="FALSE"
        enableCaptionLinks="TRUE"
        floatCaption="TRUE"
        postID="21">

Re: Alignment Questions

I have the Pro version, but the branding is showing up.

WP-SimpleViewer comes bundled with SimpleViewer-Standard. In order to upgrade WP-SimpleViewer to use SimpleViewer-Pro, please follow the instructions here: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … iewer/#pro

I want the "Open in New Window" and "Go Full Screen buttons at the bottom or floated over the image because I want to shrink the space above the photos to as small as possible.

Set buttonBarPosition="BOTTOM" or butonBarPosition="OVERLAY" in the Pro Options text area.

I want the caption to be centered under the photo or overlayed at the bottom of the photo and the text be larger.

Set captionPosition="BOTTOM" or captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM" and captionTextAlignment="CENTER" and use captionFontSize to change the size of the font (all in the Pro Options text area).

I cannot use the COMPACT gallery because none of the photos is standard size and my customer doesn't want anything cropped.

Set the Gallery Style to be MODERN or CLASSIC and the Pro Options you set will also be used.

I want 1px borders around my thumbnails

Set thumbFrameWidth="1" in the Pro Options text area.

and the current thumbnail to have a different color instead of a fatter border

This is not possible.

If I have to have the fatter border, then I want it to not be as fat as it is.

Set thumbHoverFrameWidth="1" in the Pro Options text area.

I would like it if all of my photos lined up with the top edge of my thumbnails regardless of whether they are panoramas or portraits, but this is way down the list of things I need to get fixed.

Set thumbVAlign="TOP" and imageVAlign="TOP" in the Pro Options text area.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

The first thing I did was read these instructions:

Purchase and download SimpleViewer-Pro.
    Replace the svcore folder in the WordPress plugin folder with the one from the SimpleViewer-Pro download. To do this - upload the /web/svcore/ folder from the Pro download folder to the /wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/svcore/ folder inside your WordPress install folder.
    Clear your browser cache. If you do not see the 'SimpleViewer' badge at bottom right of your gallery, you have successfully upgraded to Pro.
    You can now enter Pro config options into the "Pro Options" text area. Pro options are added one per line in the following format:

optionName = "optionValue"

So, I opened FileZilla and connected to my server and went to wp-content/plugins. Both simpleviewer_pro_213 and wp-simpleviewer are in the plugins folder. Do I need to delete these folders and reinstall? Do I need to pay for the pro version again? When I'm uploading the xml file to the server, I'm uploading into the wp-content/plugins/uploads folder. The only time I see any changes is when I am making changes that would be under the non-pro version, like placement/rows/columns ect.. of thumbnails for instance. Regardless of the other setting, I think there is an error somewhere in the primary install of Simpleviewer-Pro that must be resolved first.

You are welcome to email me off-list or we can talk on the phone, but I need to get this resolved.

Thanks,
Alisa

I searched my hard drive and found the zip file where I downloaded SimpleViewer-Pro on 9/22/2011 11:54 AM.

Thanks,
Alisa

Do I need to delete these folders and reinstall?

Only the 'wp-simpleviewer' folder should be in the 'plugins' folder (alongside any other plugins you use.
The 'simpleviewer_pro_213' folder should not be there.
To upgrade WP-SimpleViewer from SimpleViewer-Standard to SimpleViewer-Pro, replace the 'svcore' folder ('plugins/wp-simpleviewer/svcore')  on your web server with the 'svcore' folder from the SimpleViewer-Pro download package ('simpleviewer_pro_213/web/svcore/').

Do I need to pay for the pro version again?

No. I realise that you have now found your Pro download package but if you had not, all you would need to do is fill out this form to request a new download link.
(Incidentally, you can use your download link to download the latest version of SimpleViewer (v2.3.0) and use the 'svcore' folder from that download package within WP-SimpleViewer.)

When I'm uploading the xml file to the server, I'm uploading into the wp-content/plugins/uploads folder.

There should be no need to upload the XML files manually. WP-SimpleViewer creates them automatically and galleries can be edited via the WP-SimpleViewer interface without having to manually edit any files. However, there is no problem with manually editing the XML files and the 'wp-content/plugins/uploads/' folder is the correct location for them.

The only time I see any changes is when I am making changes that would be under the non-pro version, like placement/rows/columns ect.. of thumbnails for instance. Regardless of the other setting, I think there is an error somewhere in the primary install of Simpleviewer-Pro that must be resolved first.

This sounds like your WP-SimpleViewer installation has not successfully been upgraded to use the SimpleViewer-Pro files.
Replace the 'svcore' folder (as above) and all should be well.

Steven Speirs

Steven,

Thank you for being so very patient with me and answering my questions. Would be best to delete the 2 folders on my server and then reinstall the plugin? Sorry to be so dense.

Thanks,
Alisa

You certainly could do and it should do no harm as only the program files (no content) are stored in the 'plugins' folder.
That way, you'd start afresh and you would be certain what files were there.
However, it sounds like all you should need to do is delete the 'simpleviewer_pro_213' folder from the 'plugins/wp-simpleviewer/' folder and then replace the 'plugins/wp-simpleviewer/svcore/' folder with the 'svcore/' folder from the SimpleViewer-Pro download package.

Steven Speirs

Steven,

Thank you. That worked. It's much better.

next question...
What controls the width of the overall viewer? I have

galleryWidth="100%"
    maxImageWidth="1024"
    maxImageHeight="800"
    imageScaleMode="SCALE_UP"

but the gallery is not taking up 100% of the space. Honestly, I'm trying to figure out how to make Photocrati give me more width to work with, but don't know if that would make a difference with the viewer.

Thanks,
Alisa

The gallery's actual width is controlled by the value of the 'Gallery Width' text field in the gallery settings window when you create or edit a gallery.
This value then gets transferred to the embedding code in the HTML page (not a setting in the XML file), eg:
simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true);

Please note that setting the gallery's width to 100% means that it will take up 100% of the width of its parent container which, depending on the theme, may not mean 100% of the total width of the browser window.
If 100% is not wide enough, you can try using an absolute pixel value (rather than a percentage) such as '800px'. Otherwise, another suggestion might be to try to change the default layout dimensions of your chosen theme (if such settings are available).

Steven Speirs

I don't understand what's going on. I had everything working fine last night. When I came back it to work on it again tonight, the simpleviewer_pro-213 folder was back and the svcore folder had reverted back to the old one. I'm guessing this is a server issue, but am wondering how to get them to stop reverting me back to old versions. Any ideas?

If you delete a file (or folder) from your web server, then it should be gone for good.
Perhaps your web host ran into problems and had to reinstate your files from an older backup copy that they had.
Please check with your web host.

Steven Speirs