Topic: Permission Help Please!

I have a site with multiple SV galleries and I was wanting to manage them faster. I downloaded the svmanager, but now I am having problems.

So I import a few  galleries into svmanager and changed the captions or add new photos, but when I go to view the changes they are not there. When I uploaded the files, svmupload I get errors through FTP with \includes \class \plugins. It says Access denied.

So I changed the permissions on the server to the 664 like your help page suggested but then is get the 500 internal server error in my browser.

Re: Permission Help Please!

As a first step, I suggest you install the free svManager  Server Compatibility Test. You can experiment with permissions in the test without messing-up your real galleries. Post back here and let us know what happens.

Are you using a windows server? Many windows servers do not allow you to change permissions with ftp. So check that your permissions are actually changing correctly. This shouldn't be a problem in a Linux server.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I am running on a Linux server through HostGator. I have already run and passed all the test server compatibility steps. I am reloading it right now and will mess the permissions through this.

I know that when I change the permissions on through ftp it works because when I change them the svmanager interface boots me out with the 500 error. Then I change the permissions back and the original settings and refresh the page and it logs me back in.

When I make a change to the gallery, everything changes and gets saved, the gallery.xml file and the images on the interface of svmanager. But when I go to view the file it does not update, even though the gallery.xml file says that it should.

I will run the test for now and get back with you, if you have any more ideas please le me know. Thanks You

So I ran my test again and it all check out great. With the same permissions as I was running in the original????

Here is a dumb question, Do I need to move all of my svBuilder files to the svmanager folder on the server? I do use links to the gallery on my site and i changed the link to point to the index.php, but still no changes to the gallery.

When I make a change to the gallery, everything changes and gets saved, the gallery.xml file and the images on the interface of svmanager. But when I go to view the file it does not update, even though the gallery.xml file says that it should.

Let's check that I'm understanding you. Sounds like svManager is correctly updating the gallery.xml but the changes are not showing in your browser? That sounds like a cacheing issue. The latest releases of IE9 Win are particularly tenacious with cacheing – they don't let go of the original gallery.xml file unless you force it. So if you are using IE9 then try clearing the browser cache after the changes – that's in the developer tools option or in Internet settings if I remember rightly (I'm on Mac). Other Win browsers like FF or Chrome seem to show the new gallery.xml more easily.

If this doesn't do the trick can you post a url for us to look at?

Is the uploader working ok for you now – are the images getting uploaded properly with no error messages?

jack

Jack Hardie

I think that you are on to something with the cache. I use FF and GoogleChrome and both are up to date. I was making changes in chrome then logging out and then logging back in with FF. The gallery then had my changes to them. But when I make a change and then clear the cache and push the view button the changes are not there. I making sure I update first.

All I am doing is changing the caption under the pictures by adding a few words. If it works with you, let me know what I need to set FF and Chrome to.

I changed my gallery sign in back to the default.

www.trailcamtrophies.com/svmanager

I will leave it like this till you reply back.

Cacheing is often a pain during any kind of web development. My approach is to use Firefox for all my development work and I have cacheing turned off all the time. That's not so good for general web browsing so I just use a different browser. Turning the cache off in FF is quite fiddly but it's easy if you install Chris Pederick's developer toolbar, and the toolbar is useful for other stuff as well.

SvManager tries to defeat the cache problem by adding a random number to the gallery.xml file like this:

flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery.xml?nocache=1320723590";

You'll see it if you do a View>Source on one of your galleries. Usually this works pretty well except with IE9 so I don't know why you are having problems. Is it possible that there is some other kind of cacheing happening on the server?

I couldn't sign in to svManager on your server. If you'd like me to do that then you can email me via the forum with the user name and password. That's safer than opening-up your installation to the world. I can see if I'm getting the same problems with my Mac browsers.

jack

Jack Hardie